• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica Ultravid HD Plus 12x50 - compared with Swarovski EL 12x50 and Zeiss 10x54 HT (2 Viewers)

etc

I rejoined the Leica club after a long departure. These are the initial impressions of the 12x50 Ultravid HD Plus versus Swaro 12x50 (latest gen) and Zeiss HT 10x54.

The picture quality, out of the 3 goes to Leica. As good as Swaro EL is, Leica is at least equal to it and maybe exceeds it. I think the Ultravid HD+ has the finest image quality in the world although I only have a sample of one and the margin of victory is tiniest. The main factor is Leica has a huge and comfortable eye relief, I think more than the stated 13mm. The problem with Leica is that the eyecups are too short, do not raise high enough to accommodate the eye relief. I have had that exact problem with an older Swaro EL 8.5x42 and had to get a deeper eyecups from another model. I have the 3-position eyecup and I hope the 5-setting eyecup is taller, it only needs a few mils to be comfortable.

The focus of Leica is very nice although not as nice as that of Zeiss. The build quality is equal to Zeiss if not better.

Swaro dropped the ball in two major areas, one is poor focus, worst I've ever seen even though I realize I have a sample of one and maybe I just got a poor sample. My old 8.5 EL was fine. The other area it dropped the ball in is apparent in the pic and has been adequately commented on elsewhere. I think I am most likely going to sell/trade the 12x50 EL for the older 8.5x42 EL of 2008 vintage that was bulletproof and looked like new after 10 years. Or maybe an 8x50 of some persuasion. Leica 12x50 is a better 12x50 than EL 12x50 and I don't need two 12x. Maybe do something crazy like get 7x50 for max light gathering and the most stable image with best DOF.

Although the 10x54, while last is by no means least - it wins in 1. focus wheel quality, 2. brightness, especially after sunset. It's a fine device and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the HT, although it has been observed the picture is not as sharp edge-to-edge as the other two. But I never found that to be an issue. It's just irrelevant mostly as whatever it is one is looking at, is at least as sharp as Leica or Swaro. All 3 have beautiful color rendition. I never checked CA anomalies. 10x54 shakes less than the other two and has a bigger depth of field, which is completely expected, of course it does. Then there is the FOV which is lesser in 12x. I think 10x54 is a great primary device despite the size (I got used to it) and the other two 50mm feel like compacts in comparison. Leica 12x50 feels surprisingly compact. My primary purpose of the 12x50 Ultravid is extraterrestrial viewing (I tried 10x vs 12x and there is a huge difference) although Leica 12x50 excels in birding or whatever just as well - and you can absolutely hand-hold it. Any 12x50 has to be steadied for astronomical purposes but this doesn't imply 10x doesn't have to, or even 8x. They all benefit from a steady view.

Back to Leica, it came with a pleasant surprise. The over-focus past infinity is greater than the stated 4 Diopters. Actually Leica does not state their focus past infinity values anywhere, I got this elsewhere. I am at 5D and since I use optics without eyewear, it's critical that it can adjust the focus overdrive past infinity to at least 5D. Both my Swaro and Zeiss go to 6D and 7D, respectively. These values play a key role in my decision-making process. I was able to use the Ultravid without eyewear although I had to crank it to the very limit of the focus wheel. I estimate that the Ultravid HD+ is at 5D of overdrive. Leica said they can add some diopters to the focus past infinity at the expense of close-up distance and I may still end up doing it anyway so I have some room for error. An extra 1D would be great for an estimated 6D of overdrive.

Aside from the Leica eyecups, its other minor issue was that it did not come with a cool Leica microfiber cleaning cloth like Zeiss and Swaro did. Not a big deal. I was really tempted to get the 10x50 Ultravid but only reason I didn't was because I already had 10x54 HT and a 10x50 would have been largely redundant. I do not need two 10x.
In reality, I wish Zeiss made a 12x54 HT then 10x50 Ultravid would make a lot more sense. 12x rhymes better with a 54 or 56mm objective than 50mm. I also wish Leica would expand into 56mm objectives for max light gathering.

The Ultravid HD+ is a fabulous optic with a delicious view. If you want to have just one alpha device, it's a strong contender for the role.

9rydK5Y.jpg

767gkWz.jpg

k3vDhOE.jpg

Last edited:
The main factor is Leica has a huge and comfortable eye relief, I think more than the stated 13mm.
???

"Less impressive and more old-school is eye relief. Leica quote 13mm, but from the rim of the eye cup it’s more like 12mm – a lot less than Swarovski’s ELs or Nikon’s old 12x50 SEs, both of which have ER of about 17mm. That extra 5mm is the difference between seeing a narrow part of the field and the whole thing (if you view with your specs on)."

"Usable eye relief (measured from rim of eyecup): 11 mm"

Andreas

I get kind of a blackout when I press the eyecups into my face as a I have a tendency to do. I didn't measure the ER just saying it's fine and that the eyecups do not fit the ER distance correctly. It needs about 2 more clicks or about 2-3mm of height. I tried using eyeglasses with it and it's just fine.

I have that issue with many models these days, including with UV 42s. (Never tried 50s... and curiously 32s work fine for me.) You should find that ~2mm deeper eyecups solve it nicely, as I did on my SLCs. (I gather there's a newer 5-click version but I'd ask for a set from the 10x myself.)

I've often thought a 50mm could still be a do-it-all solution today, and would even seem modest-sized now compared to my 56s. BTW the last time I bought a Leica it did come with a branded microfiber cloth, and surely Leica would send you one on request.

Last edited:
Hi etc,

The other area it dropped the ball in is apparent in the pic and has been adequately commented on elsewhere.

What do you mean with this exactly?

The focuser on my EL 10x50 is fine. A bit more smooth to one direction compared to the other, like the focusers on all the EL's do.
The focusers of the NL's are really smooth in both directions, which I like.

I am thinking about swapping the EL 10x50 for a EL 12x50, because I already have a SLC 10x42 and the difference is not really big between those two.
I am still reluctant though, because I like the exit pupil of 5mm.

For me the eyecups of the EL 10x50 are just a bit too long, that's why I am using o-rings lately.
I tried a Noctivid 8x42 last week and those eyecups where too short for me. I had to rest the eyecups on my eyebrows, which I don't like.
That's why I am totally in love with the SLC 42's. Those eyecups are a perfect fit for my eye sockets! No fiddling around with o-rings of holding them a bit away from my eyes. Very comfortable! The eyecups are a bit smaller in diameter compared with those of the EL 42/50's. So probably that plays a role too.

The EL 12x50 has shorter eye relief compared with the EL 10x50. So I am hoping I do not have to use o-rings anymore.

Anyway. A pity the EL 12x50 didn't working out for you. I am considering the NL 12x42 too instead of the EL 12x50, also because of the 5 click eyecups and the perfect focuser imo. I have the NL 10x32 and can live with smaller exit pupil. However, I am leaning to EL 12x50. Never tried a UHVD 50 though.

I rejoined the Leica club after a long departure. These are the initial impressions of the 12x50 Ultravid HD Plus versus Swaro 12x50 (latest gen) and Zeiss HT 10x54.

The picture quality, out of the 3 goes to Leica. As good as Swaro EL is, Leica is at least equal to it and maybe exceeds it. I think the Ultravid HD+ has the finest image quality in the world although I only have a sample of one and the margin of victory is tiniest. The main factor is Leica has a huge and comfortable eye relief, I think more than the stated 13mm. The problem with Leica is that the eyecups are too short, do not raise high enough to accommodate the eye relief. I have had that exact problem with an older Swaro EL 8.5x42 and had to get a deeper eyecups from another model. I have the 3-position eyecup and I hope the 5-setting eyecup is taller, it only needs a few mils to be comfortable.
Welcome back to the Leica club. I also have the UVHD+ for a few months now and only after i put the eyecups of my 7x42 HD with 5 clicks on it i really fell in love with this binocular. Im sure that if you contact Leica they will provide you a set. Have to get a set for myself for the 7x42 now since they live on the 12x50’s.

Hi etc,

The focuser on my EL 10x50 is fine. A bit more smooth to one direction compared to the other, like the focusers on all the EL's do.

I am thinking about swapping the EL 10x50 for a EL 12x50, because I already have a SLC 10x42 and the difference is not really big between those two.
I am still reluctant though, because I like the exit pupil of 5mm.

For me the eyecups of the EL 10x50 are just a bit too long, that's why I am using o-rings lately.
I tried a Noctivid 8x42 last week and those eyecups where too short for me. I had to rest the eyecups on my eyebrows, which I don't like.
That's why I am totally in love with the SLC 42's. Those eyecups are a perfect fit for my eye sockets! No fiddling around with o-rings of holding them a bit away from my eyes. Very comfortable! The eyecups are a bit smaller in diameter compared with those of the EL 42/50's. So probably that plays a role too.

The EL 12x50 has shorter eye relief compared with the EL 10x50. So I am hoping I do not have to use o-rings anymore.

Anyway. A pity the EL 12x50 didn't working out for you. I am considering the NL 12x42 too instead of the EL 12x50, also because of the 5 click eyecups and the perfect focuser imo. I have the NL 10x32 and can live with smaller exit pupil. However, I am leaning to EL 12x50. Never tried a UHVD 50 though.

My only concern is the armor and I don't have faith they will replace it with some durable.
are you aware of this thread? It's a systematic problem with late model ELs. I want my 2008 EL back.

EL 10x42 casing deterioration.

and this?

I need about 2mm more of eyecup extension on my 12X50 HD eyecups. Are there suggestions for any eyecups from Leica that would fit the 12X50 HD and provide a bit longer length when fully extended. The 10X50s are actually shorter fully extended, so they are excluded. Could eyecups from 8X50 UVs work?

Hmm, being one piece, UV 8x eyecups might still stick out a bit when retracted. Is that a problem for you? Have you actually tried the 10x cups on your 12x or just measured them separately? There must be some variation in height of the lens itself. Probably Leica could best answer this question.

Last edited:
Hi etc,

Self-evidently the focuser issues are a hit-and-miss seemingly on every Alpha brand. I've had a very nice 2007 era EL focuser and one not so great. Leica seems a bit more consistent, but a sample size of 1 or 3 means absolutely nothing. The fact I got what I got does not extrapolate to the rest of the EL line, and vice-versa.

I need about 2mm more of eyecup extension on my 12X50 HD eyecups. Are there suggestions for any eyecups from Leica that would fit the 12X50 HD and provide a bit longer length when fully extended. The 10X50s are actually shorter fully extended, so they are excluded. Could eyecups from 8X50 UVs work?
I put the eyecups of my 7x42 UVHD on my 12x50 UVHD+

Top picture: maximum extracted position of the standard eyecups
Middle picture: Maximum extracted position of my 7x42 UVHD eyecups placed on the 12x50
Last picture: minimum distance with this configuration (glass wearers be aware).IMG_0397.jpegIMG_0396.jpegIMG_0395.jpeg

Last edited:
Because mine was beginning to look like this, in the early stages. Cracks everywhere. I am sending it in for a total armor replacement and I hope it's the same disposable stuff.

EL 10x42 casing deterioration.

What is the production year of your EL 12x50? Already cracks everywhere?

I have bought a 4 years old EL 12x50 on saturday, nearly as new.
I am aware of the armor issue of the EL's. I am not really concerned, because Swarovski will take care of it when needed. However, if you already see cracks on your new EL 12x50. I might be concerned...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back