• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica Ultravid HD Plus 12x50 - compared with Swarovski EL 12x50 and Zeiss 10x54 HT (1 Viewer)

Thanks very much for this info, that is alot of work, much appreciated. It looks like the 7X42 on the second photo will solve this problem.

Regards,

Andy W.
Yes the ”new” eyecups made it a completely different experience. I’m almost sure Leica will send you a new set for free.

Yes the ”new” eyecups made it a completely different experience. I’m almost sure Leica will send you a new set for free.
I really only have trouble when viewing the night sky at zenith, otherwise they are fine, but for astro which I frequently use these for, I will get the eyecups from Leica. Thanks again for all the photos, really appreciated and pleased that I do not have to insert some other rubber eyecups strapped over the existing eyecups.

I really only have trouble when viewing the night sky at zenith, otherwise they are fine, but for astro which I frequently use these for, I will get the eyecups from Leica. Thanks again for all the photos, really appreciated and pleased that I do not have to insert some other rubber eyecups strapped over the existing eyecups.

You are very welcome Andy, no problem at all. If had time i would also include a ruler on the pictures but I’m too busy lately with work. Last month i used the Leica 12x50 many times to watch the night sky with out tripod and these bins made me very happy. Got them used for a good price. I live in a city along a river and also for marine traffic at night they are perfect for straylight/reflections control. I think better than Swarovski 12x50. If I’m not mistaken you have both? What is your opinion about reflections between this two?

You are very welcome Andy, no problem at all. If had time i would also include a ruler on the pictures but I’m too busy lately with work. Last month i used the Leica 12x50 many times to watch the night sky with out tripod and these bins made me very happy. Got them used for a good price. I live in a city along a river and also for marine traffic at night they are perfect for straylight/reflections control. I think better than Swarovski 12x50. If I’m not mistaken you have both? What is your opinion about reflections between this two?
Leica handles ghosting at night very well and other straylight, the SV is fine also in this regard, however the window through the UV seems to be bigger to me, and the colors of the stars really stand out in the UV. The SV is also a fine glass, so I would place these as the best IMO in the 12X50 class. I also use the Nikon SE 12X50 on the night sky, and it is also used very often.

Leica handles ghosting at night very well and other straylight, the SV is fine also in this regard, however the window through the UV seems to be bigger to me, and the colors of the stars really stand out in the UV. The SV is also a fine glass, so I would place these as the best IMO in the 12X50 class. I also use the Nikon SE 12X50 on the night sky, and it is also used very often.

Nice collection! I use a Zeiss 15x60 alongside the Leica but would love to add a Swarovski and Nikon as well to my collection. I’m in the proces of acquiring a 10x56 at the moment. A Zeiss FL, just for good luck 😉

The 10X56 FL is likely the king of battling glare, excellent glass especially viewing at freezing temps, the casing comprised of fiberglass composite coupled with the excellent armor do not get cold so as to bother viewing. However get ready for some weight.

The 10X56 FL is likely the king of battling glare, excellent glass especially viewing at freezing temps, the casing comprised of fiberglass composite coupled with the excellent armor do not get cold so as to bother viewing. However get ready for some weight.
It will be used from stationary position so weight is not an issue, the 15x60 is 1,5 kg if I’m not mistaken, works just nice for short periods. I also have a FL 7x42 and had a 8x32 FL. I like the old Zeiss very much. Made in Germany. Old school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back