• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Devonian Hits 200 on the GGBC! (BGM & Dawlish Warren) (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
11-10-03
Location : Bowling Green Marsh & Dawlish Warren, Devon. SX973875 & SX987795.

All week a young Rosy Starling had been reported at Dawlish Warren and having got back home I went down on the bus to try and catch up with it. I was on the first early bus and had arrived in Exeter too early for the connecting bus so I boarded the present bus to Topsham to have a look at Bowling Green Marsh. There was a thick fog covering the marsh making it difficult to pick out any exceptional birds. After some study and with some help three of us managed to identify two Whimbrel and a Little Stint among common fare including some winter arrivals like the 19 Pied Avocets and 3 Eurasian Wigeon. The backing cast were 500+ Black Tailed Godwits, 150+ Black-headed Gulls, 5 Common Shelducks, 100+ Eurasian Curlews, 200+ Eurasian Teal, 25+ Mallard, 100+ Dunlins, 7 Northern Shovelers, 13+ Common Moorhens, 50+ Common Redshank, 4 Northern Lapwings, 2 Little Egrets, 16 Herring Gulls, 2 Greylag Geese, 8 Canada Geese, 4 Great Cormorants and 8 Mute Swans. Obviously with the fog impeding visibility the numbers counted are much lower than what were present. On the ride round to Dawlish Warren on two buses I spotted a large gathering of 50+ Common Pheasants in three ploughed fields just north of Kenton. I could only think they had just been released. The sunshine was now out in full force and the fog completely gone. There were several migrants present on the open areas just outside the reserve including 30+ Common Linnets, 30+ European Goldfinches and a minimum of 9 Meadow Pipits. I scanned each pipit hoping for something to shout about. About quarter to ten I came to Greenland Lake and saw some birders watching the sycamores lining the border between the reserve and the golf course. Setting up my tripod to looking in that direction I soon had great views of a juvenile Rose-coloured Starling. It was nothing much to look at really yet I was cock-a-hoop to have ticked this bird on my life list. Admittedly I would rather have seen an adult. The main features were the brown mantle, lighter underparts, orange bill, pinkish legs, dark wings and what seemed like a very large eye. In all the time I watched this bird it was quite calm moving from tree to tree simply to stay with other birds for security. It was then onto the top of the dunes to scan the sea with a growing group of birders. The sea was calm with hardly a breeze making it easy to spot any birds on the water. An adult winter plumaged Red-necked Grebe was pointed out. Around the sea I could see at least 73 Common Scoters. A Sandwich Tern fished in front of us and a lone Grey Plover landed on the beach. I did not bother going round to the hide, instead I scanned the flocks from the dunes and counted 600+ Eurasian Oystercatchers, 105+ Eurasian Curlews and 120+ Great Black-backed Gulls. A Common Stonechat perched on the wooden railings nearby. The other birds seen today at the Warren were Dunnocks, Common Starlings and Common Magpies. The Rosy Starling was bird number two hundred on my life list which is a landmark I have had on my mind for quite a while and it is great to finally reach it.

Thats fantastic. I have yet to reach 100 on my life list but im determined. A good days birding then on saturday!

Excellent Andrew, I remember I did a war dance of celebration when I added Rose-coloured Starling to my life list in far west Iceland in July 2002. You'll be up to 300 before you know it.

E

Congratulations!!

Well done Andrew, I'm thrilled for you, and although I don't keep a list that must be going some to achieve! All I can give you is this:-:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Nina.

Well done Andrew, 200 is a brilliant score for a life list, any bets on how long it will take you to reach the 300 mark.

Really enjoyed your report on the days birding, i was at Dawlish on the Sunday, with the weather changed completely, gale force winds made sea watching impossible.

Thanks to you all for the nice comments. Unless I pack in 'two' days I never feel I went birding properly.

I think it might take quite a while to hit the 300 mark, at the moment I will be happy to hit 225 within the next 12 months. Another target is to hit 200 for Devon which is not that far off actually.

Excellent stuff Andrew ...... B :) B :) B :) ...... Only 78 to go before I get there 3:)

Why is Bowling Green Marsh so called ? ... Is there a bowling green nearby ?

That is what I have often wondered myself. I was told it was something to do with a Bowling Green ages ago and someone even mentioned Sir Francis Drake but that's Plymouth Hoe surely?

I though there was a bowling green rather close to the hut Andrew? or was it at the junction? I was sure I saw one there. Nina.

I have never seen a Bowling Green in all the visits I have made there. If I can remember I will ask some RSPB operatives next time I see them at the hide.

Well Done on reaching 200 Andrew.I'm nearly there.
What will it be for 201 ?.
I think it's called Bowling Green coz it's so flat.
And it's green.

OVERSIGHT DISCOVERED AND IT'S GOOD NEWS!

I have been trawlign through my records by hand and discovered that my Scilly Tawny Pipit was not in any of the lists. I found this quite shocking and this now means I am on 201 birds. It also means I had the ignominy of having a Mandarin Duck as my number 200, at least that was only for 24 hours!!!3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back