• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 sr ga porro (1 Viewer)

About 295.00 including shipping from the UK. I like the Opticron a lot and consider it one of the best values available. It's not a Habicht or SE but its performance comes very, very close especially considering the price.

Optically the 8x30 sr ga performs well (both contrast and resolution) and the edge performance is pretty good (about 85%) but the outer ring of the fov which doesn't come into sharp focus also exhibits a light blue tint/hue.

The only major "fault" I have is the ccw to infinity focus which I find problematic since all my other binos are cw to infinity. All in all I've found the Opticron to be a well made (Japanese) porro with good ergonomics and optics--just can't get used to the focus direction.;)

Steve

Steve,

That seems like a good price, considering how it compares. Brin Best gave it a 9 out of 10, with the SE, EII and Habicht coming in at 10/10.

How wide is the FOV? I don't do meters. His review said it was in between the SE and EII, so it must be greater than 7.5*.

As to the ccw focuser, I don't like that either, they should only make ccw focusers for markets in the Southern Hemisphere where the Coriolis Effect works in the opposite direction. Chosun Juan would have no problem with it. ;)

<B>

Brock

I always check the true fov using the night sky but haven't done so with the sr ga yet. I can definitely tell you the sr ga in falls in between the SE and EII and would think Pete's answer of 8.2* is probably pretty close.

Steve

Please excuse the poor quality of the images but these show the eye lens size on the Opticron SR.GA 8x32. Perhaps Frank can comment on whether this is the same configuration as the Vixen?

Frank - any thoughts? These oculars are not exactly huge, but they still don't seem unusually small either.

It is difficult for me to tell with Pete's pics. I would need another binocular next to it for comparison. I remember the Vixen's ocular lenses being particularly wide in comparison to size of the eyecup. In other words the eyecup itself was very small compared to most other porros and roofs but the oculars were close to the same diameter as what I was accustomed to.

I haven't handled the SR GA 8x32 yet but hope to do so in the near future.

Last edited:
It is difficult for me to tell with Pete's pics. I would need another binocular next to it for comparison. I remember the Vixen's ocular lenses being particularly wide in comparison to size of the eyecup. In other words the eyecup itself was very small compared to most other porros and roofs but the oculars were close to the same diameter as what I was accustomed to.

I haven't handled the SR GA 8x32 yet but hope to do so in the near future.

You mean you asked Santa for one? Well, we'll find out tomorrow. Stay tuned.

'Merry Christmas to All, and to All a Good Night'

<B>

About 295.00 including shipping from the UK. I like the Opticron a lot and consider it one of the best values available. It's not a Habicht or SE but its performance comes very, very close especially considering the price.

Optically the 8x30 sr ga performs well (both contrast and resolution) and the edge performance is pretty good (about 85%) but the outer ring of the fov which doesn't come into sharp focus also exhibits a light blue tint/hue.

The only major "fault" I have is the ccw to infinity focus which I find problematic since all my other binos are cw to infinity. All in all I've found the Opticron to be a well made (Japanese) porro with good ergonomics and optics--just can't get used to the focus direction.;)

Steve

I finally found one on eBay (with the original English sales slip in the box dated November 2011), and agree with your assessment. This is a very nice binocular, indeed. Several comments, however: the focus on mine is cw to infinity not ccw to infinity and eye relief is far too shallow for eyeglasses wearers (which I am not). Build quality seems exceptional and ergonomics are perfect for my small hands. The included genuine leather case is a pleasant surprise and a rarity at this price point. And of all the rainguards supplied with binoculars I have owned over the years, the one that came with this binocular is the first to state "Made in England". Cool.

Last edited:
the focus on mine is cw to infinity not ccw to infinity and eye relief is far too shallow for eyeglasses wearers

My ccw-one has the serial-no 8202, whats yours?
Outside the direction of focussing I find only one fault with mine. To view the whole FOW I have to get my eyes so close, I constantly get shadows. With a bit more distance between eyey and eye-pieces this vanishes to the normal amount of kidney-beans at the outer edge.

Oetzi

The serial # on my ccw to infinity 8x32 SR GA is 8213 and like you I'm curious about the serial number range of chartwell's cw to infinity focus version. Odd that Opticron would manufacture two versions differing only the direction of focus; however, with my luck not odd that I wouldn't get the version I would have preferred. I'm still impressed with both the optical performance and build quality of this Opticron porro and consider it one of the best binocular bargains available.

Steve

Srl: 7760 is ccw to infinity - no hassle as while on balance the majority of my bins built since the 1950s focus ccw, all my manual camera lenses have done dating back to the 1930s. (not a Nikon fan).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back