• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (53 Viewers)

Steve 'spike' at Moors. has oystercatcher chicks and adults lapwing attacking crows thus chick still present. tern chickchicks being fed regularly. also plenty of swifts and a mistle thrush uncommon of late. Rob G has had a cuckoo at Flashes.

Not sure if it's of any interest to anyone but these items are on sale at Aldi from tomorrow but won't last long.:t:
Rich

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 186
Saw this bird today initially thought it was a Med, didn't have scope, so took loads of pics
looked closer at pics I think its a hybrid

Main features:
black hood extended down back of head.
Split white orbital
dark legs - although not too long.

inconsistencies with Med:
A 1st summer Med wouldn't have a complete black hood in its 1st year (apart from white forehead), 1st summer BHG's do
the bill was thin with no pronounced gonys angle.

never seen a hybrid Med x BHG in this plumage.

I understand Craig had this bird again today

Some images of the 'Med'-Headed Gull tonight. Seemingly intermediate features between the two species. Bill shape very BHG like as was the birds general shape. Interestringly the bird retains a red eye ring (as would be expected on Med) and the 'clown eyelids'.

A very brief flight view revealed very dark outer primarys and a pale pannel on the inner primarys (as would be expected for Med).

If anyone sees this bird, I would very much appreciate it if you could get an open wing/ flight shot

DSC06098.JPG

DSC06111.JPG

DSC06052.JPG

MB

Some images of the 'Med'-Headed Gull tonight. Seemingly intermediate features between the two species. Bill shape very BHG like as was the birds general shape. Interestringly the bird retains a red eye ring (as would be expected on Med) and the 'clown eyelids'.

A very brief flight view revealed very dark outer primarys and a pale pannel on the inner primarys (as would be expected for Med).

If anyone sees this bird, I would very much appreciate it if you could get an open wing/ flight shot

MB

I note on Twitter that Lee Evans (ABTA approved ;)) suggests the bird has more BHG influx than typical Med x BHG hybrids but I am struggling to find images on the interweb of first summer birds. Is it worth posting on the ID forum and see what the laruphiles such as Lou S and Steve Arlow make of it?

In addition to the Greenshank Dave J reports from the Flashes 7 juv Shelduck, the young Oyk, the hybrid gull and 57 Avocet (35 adults - which may be a record - and 22 juvs)

This Med x BHG bird was at the Flashes on my last on the 07th May mainly over on the waters edge by the Sewage Plant the general agreement was that it was a Hybrid but no one could be sure.

Got one :D
Was like a bloody war zone in there this morning!

I had the remote camera a few years ago to see if Kingfishers were about and it worked great......popped to Aldi Northfield for the Scope and lots left...only 2 bins left though. The scope will be ideal size wise to carry about and will fit on my cheap lightweight tripod.....will try it out later today.

I had the remote camera a few years ago to see if Kingfishers were about and it worked great......popped to Aldi Northfield for the Scope and lots left...only 2 bins left though. The scope will be ideal size wise to carry about and will fit on my cheap lightweight tripod.....will try it out later today.

I shall be over later to try mine out to :)

After posting that ad I had too many beers last night and forgot all about it lol B :)

JTB - are you able to post on here the flight shots of the hybrid gull that you put on Twitter? Certainly have more of a Med look about the wing pattern

Got myself a MEGA yesterday as I connected with a certain Biking Birder (home for Father's Day) who was out for tea with his son.
Great to catch up GP!

Thanks Si. I'll name your tune in one mate!

Back on the road on Tuesday with The Lake District and then Scotland for 4 months.

All the best to you all

Gary :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back