• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

VORTEX VIPER AND RAZOR going "HD" (2 Viewers)

308CAL

for 2011 Vortex has upgraded the viper and razor lines with HD glass...any thoughts on these? the 6x32's vipers are stellar so I wonder how much better the HD glass will make a 6x32

The original Vipers and Razors already had the equivalent of "HD" glass (think they called it "XD" in the case of the Viper), so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

It was all very unclear if the XD glass was actually an ED glass or just a special dispersion glass with not a big enough Abbe number to be ED.

It would seem from the new HD models that it wasn't.

Marketers, you really can't trust them.

It was all very unclear if the XD glass was actually an ED glass or just a special dispersion glass with not a big enough Abbe number to be ED.

Kevin:

I do like your new Avatar, now I can see the one-handed use of a binocular.
For those thinking about it, try using a one-handed braced method to hold
your favorite. It does give you another method to perfect the view.

Now, I did want to add, I also have seen the claims that the original Vortex Razor has had HD glass, so now that may have not been the case.

So, I guess that means, as in much of what you read here on these forums.
"Trust but verify". ;) (Ronald Reagan)

Jerry

I think it's all still "very unclear". ;) The new "HD" 8x42 Vipers are being sold for just $80 more than the old discontinued XD Vipers. Guess we need a test and reviews to see whether it's just marketing or a real difference.

Best,
Jim

FWIW, I posted this here on some discussion or another, but Vortex told me in answer to my specific question that their original XD glass was indeed true ED with an Abbe number greater than 90.

But who knows what the HD moniker really means. They also told me a month or so ago the new HD would all have slightly improved fov, which according to their website is not the case. When they said that I wondered if the HD might be field flatener HD glass in the ocular. But I really do not know.

As I said the perils of marketers making up terms (to trademark) rather than using well accepted terms (that are reasonably well defined).

If it was ED before then perhaps it's a field flattener now. Or perhaps they just changed the trademark.

All I can say to Vortex is good luck in selling a Razor HD for $1300 when there are Swaro EL's and Zeiss FL's relatively easy to find for about the same price, or an SLC neu for the same or less, etc, etc, etc.

for 2011 Vortex has upgraded the viper and razor lines with HD glass...any thoughts on these? the 6x32's vipers are stellar so I wonder how much better the HD glass will make a 6x32

I´m interested, 308CAL, in a nice 6x glass. Do you have a pair of the "old" Viper 6x32, and if so, are they really stellar? Ta!

yes they were truly exceptional, hard to find fault with any part of them....small, light, bright, sharp, contrasty! makes me wonder why i would need "HD"!

All I can say to Vortex is good luck in selling a Razor HD for $1300 when there are Swaro EL's and Zeiss FL's relatively easy to find for about the same price, or an SLC neu for the same or less, etc, etc, etc.

Even with Vortex's unique, no questions asked, fully transferable warranty with no need to send in even a card?

I think the recent trend in "HD" moniker for optics is to piggyback free on the marketing of HD television and video. Prettt much everyone now knows HD=High Def="better picture" while the meaning XD or ED is not nearly universally understood.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back