• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which 10x42 : Nikon HG / GPO Passion HD / Maven B1.2 / Vortex Razor HD ? (1 Viewer)

Choc59

France
Hi everyone,

Once again, I am seeking advices on the forum, and this time it is for binoculars.

I have saved up to replace my entry level 8x42 binos (Nikon Prostaff 7s) with 10x binos of the mid-high range (not alpha range).

In my whishlist in the 1,000€ range are :
  • Nikon HG, which are currently going for Sale at 750€ (and it seems an unbeatable deal),
  • GPO Passion HD rated as best bino of the year 2022 on BBR website (also would be more expensive : +300/400€ more than Nikon HG on Sales),
  • MAVEN B1.2, also very well rated on BBR website,
  • Vortex Razor HD but I already saw on the forum birder's advice to get the Nikon HG instead of the Razor HD.

I am very keen on the Nikon HG because I already own the brand and the 750€ deal price is a huge trigger to a purchase. I don't really care about warranty (and I known Nikon's not the best). I am more focusing on the optics performances: crisp and sharp image, a nice depth of view, big field of view, and decent CA control.

Staying under 1,000€ would be the ideal situation for me (it would take out the GPO Passion). I cannot and will not spend more on my binos.

Which one would be the best binos to your opinion ? Which other ones should I consider ?
Thanks for your opinions,

Most likely the best solution is - order the Nikon online. We are privileged, shopping wise, to live in a time and place where you can order things online and return them after a brief testing period. You will have a few days to see what you think about it from the comfort of your own home.

If you are really curious about these four, and a maniac like some of us here - order 4 of them at once, compare, and choose a favourite ;)

If you haven't had an experience with a 10x mag., it may or may not be a better fit for you than 8x. I personally like the idea of more magnification but do not enjoy 10x and above bins in actual use.

Salut, Choc 😉
I don't know if you've already done it, but using the search bar, you would already have quite a lot of things published here, about Nikon HG and Maven B1.2.

I would add the Vortex Viper to your list and their 10x42 HD was my first serious non-Leica binocular, which I also still have. Every Vortex Viper I’ve looked through impressed me, especially in light of how affordable they are and how readily they did repairs on the used pair I’d bought.

Having multiple Leica Ultravids that I’m absolutely keeping, I could still imagine being pretty satisfied if the 10x42 Viper was my only pair of binoculars.

I think at the £1000 mark, the Zeiss conquests are probably as good as it gets.
I know they're not on your list, but for 1k..... they are probably unbeatable.

In 10x42 I’d go with the GPO. It’s brighter and has less CA than the MHG in 10x. It’s basically a Zeiss Conquest in a much nicer and better built package. If you just want to save the money go for the HG ( if you found a good deal) you can’t wrong either way. Imo the Viper is an excellent bang for the buck, closer to the Razor than most would like to admit. I have three Vipers, two in 10x42. May sell one, if interested PM me.

Good luck.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_6940.png
    IMG_6940.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6939.png
    IMG_6939.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6938.png
    IMG_6938.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6937.png
    IMG_6937.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 45
Hi everyone,

Once again, I am seeking advices on the forum, and this time it is for binoculars.

I have saved up to replace my entry level 8x42 binos (Nikon Prostaff 7s) with 10x binos of the mid-high range (not alpha range).

• Nikon HG, which are currently going for Sale at 750€ (and it seems an unbeatable deal),
  • GPO Passion HD rated as best bino of the year 2022 on BBR website (also would be more expensive : +300/400€ more than Nikon HG on Sales),
  • Vortex Razor HD but I already saw on the forum birder's advice to get the Nikon HG instead of the Razor HD.

I am very keen on the Nikon HG because I already own the brand and the 750€ deal price is a huge trigger to a purchase. I don't really care about warranty (and I known Nikon's not the best). I am more focusing on the optics performances: crisp and sharp image, a nice depth of view, big field of view, and decent CA control.

Staying under 1,000€ would be the ideal situation for me (it would take out the GPO Passion). I cannot and will not spend more on my binos.

Which one would be the best binos to your opinion ? Which other ones should I consider ?

If I was choosing a 10x42 in that price range, my preference would be the Meopta Meostar B1+. Certainly better than the GPO for me, I haven't compared to the others but I put the HD Meostars right at the top level optically. You won't find anything with less CA. There are offers on it sometimes, I recently saw it offered at ~£650 in a close-out sale in the UK which is a fantastic bargain. I think they are now sold out there but if I had been in the market for a 10x42 I would have snapped it up.

Another good option in terms of image quality is the Opticron Aurora which is at about £800 in the UK I think. Finding one with a nice focuser might take some patience.

I'm not sure about the BBR website, they seemed to either not notice or not mention the really troubling levels of CA in the Zeiss Conquest when doing a 15x56 comparison test, and rated it above other much better optics.

FWIW....I would also go with the HG sale price, I really like those for very light weight and comfortable hold and grip. The high bridge with lots of room for your hands on the barrels, and 24-ounce weight with nice optics 👍👍

Hi everyone,

Not sure if you're open to alternatives but the sig sauer zulu 10's are currently on sale. They have similar specs to the vortex uhd (not hd) and with the sale price they cost about the same price you're looking to spend for the gpo passion hd.

I haven't tried any of the models from your list. But I would personally go with the Mavens because I know their customer support is very responsive.

My best bang for the buck optics are the tract uhd. They're a steal for $700. There are threads on here comparing them favorably to the $1000 zeiss conquest.

In the optics hobby, the philosophy "buy once, cry once" really is good advice.

Hey Choc59,

After birdwatching for decades with random, second-hand binoculars, a few of years ago I was able to plunk down 1k and get Nikon 8x42 HGs. I was/am very happy with them. At the time I compared them side by side with the Nikon 10x42 HGs. The greater magnification was completely offset by the fact the view was noticeably darker, a no go for me.

About a year ago I embarked on a new mission to get 10x50s. My online research was pretty thorough but I only ended up field testing Maven B6 10x50s, Maven B2 9x45s, and Vortex Razor UHD 10x50s.

I joyfully went with the Maven B6 10x50s and after about 7 months I’m totally happy with them. I know 10x50s aren’t going to be right for everyone, but after my brief experience with the Nikon 10x42 HGs, I knew that a move to 10x would require a move to 50s.

Lewis

About a year ago I embarked on a new mission to get 10x50s. My online research was pretty thorough but I only ended up field testing Maven B6 10x50s, Maven B2 9x45s, and Vortex Razor UHD 10x50s.

Lewis
The 10x50 Mavens are another champion of light weight - only 30 ounces for a 50mm?? With a metal body? That's amazing.

I find that light weight is something that proves itself over time. You tend to use those binoculars more.

Overall I consider the Vortex Razor to be the best value in high quality binoculars. I bought the UHD and the HD version and returned the UHD as I did not see a noticeable difference and the UHD sell for twice as much as the HD.

I have Nikon (3), Swarovski (4), Vortex (3), and Pentax (2) binoculars at this time and at the low end the Nikon Monarch 5 are excellent and better than the low end Vortex Diamondback line in every respect. I have bought Steiner and Leica and Zeiss binoculars in the past but preferred others when comparing them side by side.

Participating in bird club outings is a good way to try multiple binoculars and see for yourself which you prefer.

I am dissapointed about the eyepiece design of the new Vortex series. Viper HD 8x42 has not sufficient useful eye relief with eyeglasses for me. Maybe it had worked if the eyecup edge was not unnecessary high above the eye lens. This wastes valuable mm of ER.
At the pictures it looks like Razor has similar design. But I need to try to really know how it works with Razor.

Hey Choc59,

After birdwatching for decades with random, second-hand binoculars, a few of years ago I was able to plunk down 1k and get Nikon 8x42 HGs. I was/am very happy with them. At the time I compared them side by side with the Nikon 10x42 HGs. The greater magnification was completely offset by the fact the view was noticeably darker, a no go for me.

I joyfully went with the Maven B6 10x50s and after about 7 months I’m totally happy with them. I know 10x50s aren’t going to be right for everyone, but after my brief experience with the Nikon 10x42 HGs, I knew that a move to 10x would require a move to 50s.

Lewis
Hi Lewis, that’s what I’m kind of worrying about, and I tend to think like you: jumping to 10x mag may imply jumping to 50mm diameter. I need to try the 10x42. I was, clearly, and naively, thinking that middle-high range optic quality would compensate the jump from 8x42 entry level, and that the 10x42 would be bright enough on the middle/high range.

By the way, as you guys seems to put into the hat some models such as GPO Passion and Zeiss Conquest, any thought about the Trinovid?

Hi Lewis, that’s what I’m kind of worrying about, and I tend to think like you: jumping to 10x mag may imply jumping to 50mm diameter. I need to try the 10x42. I was, clearly, and naively, thinking that middle-high range optic quality would compensate the jump from 8x42 entry level, and that the 10x42 would be bright enough on the middle/high range.

By the way, as you guys seems to put into the hat some models such as GPO Passion and Zeiss Conquest, any thought about the Trinovid?
Bonsoir Choc

I tried some Trinovids last month, albeit the 8 and 10x32's rather than the x42's and was very disappointed from an eye relief and CA perspective. I don't know if the x42's are different from the x32's but the Trinivods were not as good as my Geco/GPO ED's, which are the lower models to the Gold/HD's, and which I took with me to test back to back.

I have both the ED and HD series and frankly the optical difference twixt the two is marginal.

So another vote for GPO binoculars which I have found to be superb. Currently Stealth Birding in the UK have the GPO HD 10x42 on sale for £790 which is an excellent price.

I do not know if you have seen this report on 10x42 binoculars?

which is a comprehensive review and rating on many makes. The 2 GPO's do rather well and I used this test to shorten my potential list of 10x42's last year. I eventually purchased the Swarovski NL Pure 10x42's but, were l limited to budgetary constraints, the GPO's based on owning 4 of them, would have been my choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back