• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Value in a 8x32 or 8x26? (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I'm looking for the best value in binoculars in a 8x32 or possibly 8x26 (or something close.)

By way of reference, based on reviews and comments here I purchased a pair of Vanguard ED II 10x42s at a good price and with a good rebate. I think it was $250 after the rebate. I've been very pleased. I'm just looking for something smaller when I don't want to carry a pair of full size bins.

So that's sort of what I'm looking for now. Something that offers a lot of 'bang for the buck.' However, my budget isn't set at $250. I'd gladly go higher for a something that represents a good value.

Besides the Vanguards, I have a pair of Steiner Predators in 10x26 that are almost unusable. I also have a cheap pair of Bushnell 8x25 Porro prism binoculars that are surprisingly good given the price, but I want to go a step or two above that.

Last edited:
If you like Vanguard ED II in the 10x42 why don't you just get the 8x32 version. I agree that they are an excellent bargain. Here is the regular Vanguard ED version for $249.99 and the Vanguard Endeavor ED II Binocular with Premium HOYA ED Glass for 349.99

https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-End...pID=51oSLO4bXPL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-End...D=51pfYD-%2BKlL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I will consider those, but I do want to see what else is out there.

I should have added that if it's 8x32s, they should probably be on the compact side (say, like the Opticron Discovery). I'm looking at side by side pics of 8x32s and 8x42s, and the 8x32s are probably not as small as I'd like, with some exceptions.

I have a review of the Opticron Traveller 8x32, which I've not yet posted here to BirdForum (it's on my website below, if interested). In short, I like the Traveller and found it very similar in build to the Vanguard Endeavor ED II. It is very compact, about the same size as the Nikon Monarch 7 8×30. It also has a pretty good 5.9ft close focus. It ended up not fitting my eyes well, so I did not keep them (I seem to have a hard face to fit), but that is highly subjective.

For me, the best binocular in the 8x32 range is the Minox BL HD 8x33. But it is not nearly as compact as the Traveller. B&H has a used pair for $339 in condition "10." I thought the optics in the Minox were the best in the sub-$500 range, especially the flare control. My main issue with the Minox were the focus went backwards (clockwise is closer) for what I am used to, which I admit is again subjective.

Marc

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Now, if you had to choose something more compact in the 8x26ish size, what are the top value picks?

Again thanks everyone. Trust me, every post and every suggestion leads me to Google something and I go further down the rabbit hole of bins/value/reviews. :)

Last edited:
For the x24 size, there's an Opticron Traveller 6x32 that is pretty compact, very bright, and has a few good reviews on this site and is in your price range. If size is the issue 6x32 might give better views than 8x25. Just something to think about.

My personal experience in this size range is with the Nikon Trailblazer 10x25 ($85) and Leica Ultravid 8x20 BR ($750). The trailblazer is ok, but has veiling glare issues and is low contrast and gets dim fast (2.5mm pupil). The Leica is fantastic for its size and handles glare well, but you are looking through small tubes, but it is tiny! I would expect the 8x25 Nikon ($75) is satisfactory, but I'm sure there's something better.

In x24 - x25, I'd look at the Opticron BGA, Minox BV, Kowa BD, Meopta MeoSport offerings in that space. They each have 1 or two in the sub-$300 price range. But I don't have any direct experience with those specific models.

Personally, I went with the Leica 8x20 BR because I wanted something *small*, not a compromise kind-of-small. I put up with the tiny oculars because the overall package is attractive for this purpose and the image quality is very good. For a compact, I go with a Kowa 8x32 because it does not compromise optics and I couldn't find much else with ergonomics that fit me well in lower price in x32. Then I have a full-size 8x42 and 10x42.

Marc

Best value 8x32's is easy. Sightron Blue Sky II's.

I know NOTHING about this binocular except what I've read.....and by practically all accounts and from a lot of folks I have a lot of respect for....this is probably your best choice in this price for an 8X32. I kinda wish I had one just to try for a little while...

Can you go $500.00? The new Vortex Viper's HD 8x32 are very nice and very small and compact. Great warranty too.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/discontinued/vortex-viper-hd-8x32-binocular

That's really a great choice for the money! I've seen them on eBay from time to time for 350-400 dollars..

Vortex also made a MIJ Viper 8X28 that I know is a nice binocular. Currently discontinued you can still find them from time to time on eBay. You might try a Vortex Diamondback 8X28. I have looked at the new Diamondback 8X32 and wasn't that impressed but you might like the 8X28.

If you want to go smaller than 32 and maintain image quality, expect it to get more expensive. The Sightron is not bulky or heavy, but it isn't very compact for a 32 either. It is an excellent value at ~$200 and I really enjoy that binocular. I have a Maven 8x30 which I prefer to the Sightron because it is much more compact, better optically, and outstanding mechanically, but it costs $500. And then I recently got a Zeiss 8x25 that is even more compact than the Maven and noticeably better optically (as good as any binocular I own with the caveat that it is only 25mm). It lists for $750. I would say the Zeiss is also excellent value because of the great optical performance in such a small package. The Maven I would rate as good value.

As always I recommend seeing binoculars in person or order from someone with a good return policy. You really have to decide how compact you want to go, and how important other performance is to you. Also, ergonomic factors can become more critical with smaller binoculars.

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back