• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help to ID please (2 Viewers)

Paminfra

I'd be grateful if anyone could help with this. I assume it is some kind of very small bee. It's also a very noisy one with an extremely loud (for its size) continuous buzz rather like a high-pitched saw. Thanks.

Attachments

• bee 002.jpg
    bee 002.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 94
It's one of the Bee-flies (family Bombyliidae) distinguished by the long straight proboscis which they cannot retract. There are a few species.

That is a lovely picture.

brianhstone said:
It's one of the Bee-flies (family Bombyliidae) distinguished by the long straight proboscis which they cannot retract. There are a few species.

That is a lovely picture.

Thanks very much Brian - I thought it was some kind of flying Unicorn with that proboscis!

Very interesting insect (brood parasitic life history) a bit like a Cuckoo, and an interesting flower too, North American Pickerel Weed (Pontederia cordata). Presumably this shot was taken next to water?

Steve.

steve_nova said:
Very interesting insect (brood parasitic life history) a bit like a Cuckoo

Yes, they have this extra metamophosis where the first stage larva feeds benignly on nectar, etc. in a nest but after the first moult changes appearance and becomes more like a maggot which feeds on the bee larvae.

Many are identifyable from photo and yours looks pretty distinctive so an expert might be able to name it.

steve_nova said:
Very interesting insect (brood parasitic life history) a bit like a Cuckoo, and an interesting flower too, North American Pickerel Weed (Pontederia cordata). Presumably this shot was taken next to water?

Steve.

Yes, Steve, it was taken on the plant which is on the edge of my pond but I thought it was a South American plant so will have to look for the label....it has tall spike shaped flowers of multiple smaller ones and spear shaped leaves if that helps.

As for the insect, I'm most grateful to you and Brian for the info. I'd never seen one before and it's not around today apparently, so will try to Google it. What did we do before Google? Thanks again,

Hi Pam,

In North America it is called pickerel Weed though you are right in that its range also extends right down into Argentina.

"Pickerelweed in common in wetlands (the transition zone between aquatic habitats and terrestrial habitats) from Minnesota and Nova Scotia, southward to Texas and Florida, the West Indies and all the way to Argentina" ( from Floridata website http://www.floridata.com/ref/P/pont_cor.cfm)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back