• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater Sandplover or "lesser", Sharm, Egypt, 14-12-23 (2 Viewers)

I think the bill is still useful for separation. This bird (and the one in your first post) has a large, long bill with a sharp tip, unlike the bill of Tibetan but consistent with columbinus. And as I mentioned in my earlier comment, the head pattern also fits for Greater - Tibetan has a longer, more obvious supercilium, more extensive white on the forehead and often paler lores.

Compare your bird against these Tibetan:
Thank you so much for this really helpful information. I had over 200 photos of sandplovers there and I am counting them as Greater based on them conforming exactly to the features provided. (Lifer :))I don't think I'd have managed it without your help

Please may I further impose by providing pics of one bird as I wonder whether this one here might just be a possible Tibetan. I see a potentially less pointed bill, and a longer supercilium. Having said that it is a perhaps desperate hope rather than expectation of another lifer ☹️

Attachments

• D2-0561.JPG
    D2-0561.JPG
    499.8 KB · Views: 10
  • D2-0562.JPG
    D2-0562.JPG
    491.1 KB · Views: 10
  • D2-0563.JPG
    D2-0563.JPG
    492.9 KB · Views: 9
  • D2-0564.JPG
    D2-0564.JPG
    552.5 KB · Views: 9
  • D2-0565.JPG
    D2-0565.JPG
    527 KB · Views: 9
  • D2-0566.JPG
    D2-0566.JPG
    563.1 KB · Views: 11
  • D2-0567.JPG
    D2-0567.JPG
    539.2 KB · Views: 10
  • D2-0568.JPG
    D2-0568.JPG
    568.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The complete white ring going behind the neck makes this something else, not a sand plover. I will let those with local knowledge sort this one out.
Niels

Bear in mind that columbinus, the smallest subspecies of Greater Sandplover Anarhynchus leschenaulti, has for decades been confused with A. a. atrifrons, nominate Siberian Sandplover to the extent that many earlier records in that general area have been expunged because the descriptions were inadequate for certainty to be expressed.
MJB
Surely, the easiest way to separate these two is leg colour?

Surely, the easiest way to separate these two is leg colour?
At least in East Asia, leg colour varies according to age and season (I don't know how much this also applies to columbinus and pamirensis). Also, it can be difficult to confirm if the legs are discolored by mud etc. There are differences but it's better to rely on a combination of features (structure, plumage) than to rely only on one feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back