• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

B&L 10X42 Discoverer porro question (1 Viewer)

Raybo

Does any member own or has had a good look through these bins?

I like the weather proof idea and a few sites have them at a nice discount, i'm just wondering if they are worth the less than $200 price.

Any help would be aprieciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ray

Hi Ray, I had a quick look through these at the UK Birdfair last year and optically they seemed pretty good though I was put off by a touch of flare in what I would class as undemanding conditions ie not looking directly in the sun's direction. I think I may be quite sensitive to this though.

I think they could be worth the money but they are now defunct stock as B&L are now Bushnell.

What about the new Swift porros? Don't know the American price though.

Well I just recieved them and I'm not sure what the technical term is, (barrel distortion?) but whan I scan with these bins it kinda makes me seasick. If I keep my target in the sweet spot they are actually very nice bins, OTOH the eyecups stink, they are twist up and seem as thought they are on ball bearings, they will move if a fly lands on them.

I will do some kind of mod for the eyecups and throw them in my car, I needed bins for when I'm on the road anyway.

Good viewing,
Raybo

Ray, if your looking for a pair of inexpensive bins, take a look at these Canons ($130) in the states: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...352&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

They're super for the price. Water proof, roof prisims and built like a small tank. Good ergonomics help make up for the extra weight over expensive bins in 8x30's.

Jaeger near Chicago (Hoffman Estates)

PS-I have a pair if you'd like to see them, look thru them. Drop me a message and we'll arrange something. If you absolutely want 10x42's, these are a bit more but I did have a pair and sold them recently. They were very very decent bins: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...690&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Jaeger

QUOTE=Raybo]Does any member own or has had a good look through these bins?

I like the weather proof idea and a few sites have them at a nice discount, i'm just wondering if they are worth the less than $200 price.

Any help would be aprieciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ray[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
yes I own a pair of them and recomend them ....the resolution is sharp in the
middle and compare to my 7x35 e's and 8x30 slc's in resolution.. but might fall
off a little more to the edge than the other two bino's....clipboard....

I must of had a bad day when I recieved these bins, I have had a change of heart.

These are very nice bins indeed, (the screw out eye cups are still TERRIBLE!)
very sharp and bright and very well constructed. The day I recieved them I think I just waved them in front of my eyes, that is why I originally gave them a bad review.

Good viewing,
Raybo

I just recently bought one of these and have been very happy with them so far. Since I have to wear eyeglasses all of the time, I don't have any problem with the screw-out eyecups like Raybo has. This is just because for me, they are always in the completely collapsed position.
I have been especially happy in that, even with my eyeglasses I get the full FOV. This is just a really nice product all the way around. I'm sure glad I picked one up before they all dissappear.

I just wanted to give my original post a bump.
If you can still find these bins jump on them!
I'm enjoying them more every day.

Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back