• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x42 Discoverer Bushnell or B&L? (1 Viewer)

Zolarcon

Hi BF,

I remember reading somewhere about a new product from Bushnell called the Discoverer? It comes in 7x42? Anybody know?

I read a review of B&L Discoverer 7x42 on BVD from 95- they trashed it. The new Discoverer suppossedly is phase coated?

Why would they reissue a bin that was not so great in the first place? Any word on these and how good it is against the top 7x?

I remember a long time ago liking the B&L Elites... Will see what Bushnell does with them.

Any info or websites would be great,

Thanks
Carlos

Carlos,

These binoculars have been discussed several times recently, but the server crash seems to have killed all the threads.

The older B&L Discoverer 7x42's did indeed lack both phase coating and the water repellant coating (RainGuard). I have examined both older and newer B&L Discoverer models, and saw quite a bit of difference in brightness, contrast, and sharpness between them. I have not yet seen the Bushnell Discoverers, they haven't appeared yet in any stores in my area.

I was very impressed with the newer model B&L Discoverers (the ones with phase coating and RainGuard), so much so that I bought one each of the 7x42 and 10x42 models. They are FANTASTIC optics for the price... in my opinion the best bargain currently available in low-cost full-size 7x and 10x roof prism binoculars.

The 7x42 is still moderately available and hovering around $320-$350, while the 10x42 has become very scarce and costs around $370-$380 when you can find them.

Best wishes,
Bawko

The Bausch & Lomb Discoverer series are almost impossible to find now. Try the Bushnell Legend line, probably very similar to the B&L's. The price is the same. I have a pair of 8X42 Legends ard are pleased with them.

Atomic Chicken said:
Carlos,

These binoculars have been discussed several times recently, but the server crash seems to have killed all the threads.

The older B&L Discoverer 7x42's did indeed lack both phase coating and the water repellant coating (RainGuard). I have examined both older and newer B&L Discoverer models, and saw quite a bit of difference in brightness, contrast, and sharpness between them. I have not yet seen the Bushnell Discoverers, they haven't appeared yet in any stores in my area.

I was very impressed with the newer model B&L Discoverers (the ones with phase coating and RainGuard), so much so that I bought one each of the 7x42 and 10x42 models. They are FANTASTIC optics for the price... in my opinion the best bargain currently available in low-cost full-size 7x and 10x roof prism binoculars.

The 7x42 is still moderately available and hovering around $320-$350, while the 10x42 has become very scarce and costs around $370-$380 when you can find them.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Hi

You said they are good for the price? How do they compare with a bin like the Nikon 8x32 HG? It makes me question when one says good for the price instead of a great pair of optics.

Thanks,
Carlos

The new Bushnell version is the same glass as the B&L...brand change only. Still the same fine performer....the older versions lacked the PC3 coating, which made for a dimmer view compared to, say a Zeiss Classic. Once it was updated, it more than holds its own against much higher priced competition. I have one of the late model B&L versions with the Rainguard....its one of my very faves...and I got it for $250! The new Bushnell incarnation seems 2b priced around $350...still a bargain for a unit that will give glasses costing 3 times as much a run for their money....
On top of all that, Bushnell's service dept in Kansas City is the best, fastest, most customer friendly of any of the optics outfits...you can still talk directly to a tech who knows what he (or she) is about....that's a rarity nowadays....ask Bill Cook

I have both the B&L Discoverers in the 7X and 10X models. They are the newer ones with the phase correction. I've compared both to my Leica 8X42 and 10X50 Trinovids, and if there is any difference between them in brightness, color contrast, and resolution it is too slight for my eyes to notice. Friends looking through them have said the same. Certainly not a $900 difference, when comparing the 10X B&L at $200 to the 10X Leica at $1100! They are undoubtedly the best buy I ever made in binoculars.

Zolarcon said:
Hi

You said they are good for the price? How do they compare with a bin like the Nikon 8x32 HG? It makes me question when one says good for the price instead of a great pair of optics.

Thanks,
Carlos

Zolarcon,

Sorry about this.. I just noticed your question when reading other postings on this thread. I guess the best answer is that these binoculars are "good for the price" as well as being "a great pair of optics". They are just plain GOOD... much better than their low price would suggest. I would quantitatively evaluate them as being within 5% of the image quality of my Nikon HG's, not quite as clear on the edges but in all other respects VERY close. The 10x model has the widest field of view of any 10x binoculars I own, as wide as most of my 8x optics!

In short, these are truly a bargain if you can still find them - and easily in the same class as the high-end brands.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Thank you everyone for the wonderful input on the Discoverer. Maybe my wife my get these for Xmas so I have an excuse to use them. Also might be good for young birders because of the wide field of view.

Carlos

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back