• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski ATS 80 HD with 25-50x, Nikon EDG 85 with 20-60x or keep my ED82 ..? (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

I'm thinking (against all odds) to buy a Nikon EDG 85 with 20-60x eyepiece!

I tested this spotting scope for quite a long time ago and then received a mixed impression of it. Not very stylish, felt that the focus wheel was a bit misplaced, big and heavy, etc. But what really impressed me was the contrast!

I currently use an ED82 with the eyepieces 30x and 25-75x. The fixed eyepiece sits on 95% of the time, but if the zoom have had a better field of view it had definitely been used a lot more. That is why I am now thinking of switching to the EDG 85. Should be said that I already own an EDG 8x42 binocular. Have thought about and tested other spotting scopes, but concluded that there are only three options for me:

- Get a Swarovski ATS 80 HD + 25-50x. In that case, I will also replace my EDG 8x42 against a Swarovski SLC 8x42.

- Get a EDG 85 + 20-60x. This will then be used with the Nikon EDG 8x42 which I already have.

- Keep my ED82 with the eyepieces 30x DS and 25-75x (I also have a fixed 50x). Then I have to accept that I sometimes have to switch to a zoom eyepiece with small field of view. It does not happen too often, but when it happens it is a bit tedious.

A change to Swarovski will be quite expensive, but on the other hand, it might be worth it over time. Getting a EDG 85 feels like a natural upgrade from an ED82, especially given that I already have the EDG 8x42. But EDG 85 is big and heavy and the zoom does not provide the same excellent field of view as the Swarovski 25-50x. To just use what I have is a cheap and easy solution to the selection dilemma, although it does not solve the problem of having to change eyepieces. Which then has a small field of view in addition.

What do you think is the wisest thing to do?

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't get the EDG. No way. Too big, too heavy, awkward shape. The bloke who designed it must have had a very bad day. And, what's more, the two EDGs I had a chance to try in the field weren't sharp. One of them was downright awful, the other one was soso at best. You've apparently looked through a good one - but I don't like playing the lottery when buying a scope.

If you really can't cope with the narrow Nikon zoom for your ED82, I'd go for the Swarovski. Otherwise I'd stick to the ED82. That *is* a good one, if I recall those discussions a few years ago. And I'd try to get a 60mm EDIII for use on long hikes. I think they'll be all gone shortly and are available at closeout prices in some places.

Hermann

I have once again decided not to buy any new spotting scope. There is simply no perfect alternative to switch to. Meopta S2 felt like a very good option, but after a discussion with a dealer it felt no longer as a good alternative. It has some distortion and suffers from some chromatic aberration at high magnifications. The dealer was not so keen on EDG 85 either..he rather recommended Swarovski (ATX series in the first place).

But like I said..I've decided not to buy any new spotting scope right now. The money will go to a 2 week bird-watching trip to Majorca in September instead. My little Nikon ED50 with a 27x eyepiece will probably be used there. Hopefully Nikon will manufacture a spotting scope with better specs than the EDG in the near future..and then it may be time to replace the ED82!

But like I said..I've decided not to buy any new spotting scope right now. The money will go to a 2 week bird-watching trip to Majorca in September instead. My little Nikon ED50 with a 27x eyepiece will probably be used there.

Sounds like a good idea ... :) Make sure you stay on the east coast. Puerto Pollensa is a nice place both for the marshes and the mountains.

Hermann
who'll be off to southern Sweden
yet again in four weeks time ... :)

Hi Kingfisher. I´ve been through ED82A w/fixed 30 and zoom, and also Swaro 80 ATS HD w/25-50. The former disappointed with the narrow zoom FOV, and the latter with its low mag. I reverted to my old favourite, a secondhand Zeiss TFL 85mm (the old silver one), with a Baader Hyperion Mk. III zoom, which gives a lovely wide 20-63x zoom (or thereabouts). I couldn´t be happier. Nothing is perfect, and you deal with the compromises.

I have once again decided not to buy any new spotting scope. There is simply no perfect alternative to switch to. Meopta S2 felt like a very good option, but after a discussion with a dealer it felt no longer as a good alternative. It has some distortion and suffers from some chromatic aberration at high magnifications. The dealer was not so keen on EDG 85 either..he rather recommended Swarovski (ATX series in the first place).

But like I said..I've decided not to buy any new spotting scope right now. The money will go to a 2 week bird-watching trip to Majorca in September instead. My little Nikon ED50 with a 27x eyepiece will probably be used there. Hopefully Nikon will manufacture a spotting scope with better specs than the EDG in the near future..and then it may be time to replace the ED82!

I wouldn't listen to a dealer regarding distortion in the S2. Yes, it has actual, real, (as opposed to mostly fictional) rolling ball, but it also has a super field of view that gets you on a bird amazingly fast. After a week I sent back a Swaro 80mm with 25-50x and kept the S2. As for CA, I didn't see any difference there either. Go with your own eyes on this one. The S2 is quite a scope.

Oh, and the ED50 with 27x is just super. Not as good as an S2, but put it in your carry-on and you're good to go!

Mark

The ED82 + 30x eyepiece seems like a combination that is hard to beat
for any scope + zoom combination on the market!

use it and enjoy it!

I will definitely enjoy my ED82 with the 30x DS every time I use that combination! Even if I get a new spotting scope in the future, I will probably keep the ED82. At least I have that feeling right now .. ;-)

If we do not take into account the size, weight and how beautiful the design is..would you think that the EDG 85 with a 20-60x eyepiece is a good buy then?

Last edited:
If we do not take into account the size, weight and how beautiful the design is..would you think that the EDG 85 with a 20-60x eyepiece is a good buy then?

Kingfisher

Personally, I don't know the EDG 85 nor your birding needs, but size, weight, the ugly design (even awkward according to some opinions), and last but not least, the EDG high price, are not minor issues IMHO...

Do you absolutely need a zoom eyepiece? Like you, I have a Fieldscope ED 82 A with three fixed eyepiece, so would suggest a 38x MC in case you need some extra power: I think that it may be an excellent all-round performer if you decide to keep the Fieldscope 82.

Luca

Optically it's one of the best,
which is confirmed by the scope test report from Gijs:

http://www.houseofoutdoor.com/testrapporten/toptelescopen.pdf

Buying the EDG 85mm was never on the list for me,
just to heavy and bulky,
but the EDG 65mm + 30X W eye piece, I think I could live with if the price was
in the same range as the Swaro ATS65+25-50 zoom (about 2000 Euro).
The EDG65 + fixed eye piece, would definitely outperform the ATS65 scope according to my experience.

Last edited:
I have thought about 38x, but is hesitant about whether it serves any sensible function. Another option is otherwise getting contact lenses instead of glasses..then the 25-75x will work quite well, I think .. ;-)

I have thought about 38x, but is hesitant about whether it serves any sensible function. Another option is otherwise getting contact lenses instead of glasses..then the 25-75x will work quite well, I think .. ;-)

FOV is perhaps a bit narrow with 38X on the 85mm (better on the 65mm = 30x), and shake might be an comfort issue in some situations, windy conditions etc. ?

http://nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/scopes/edg_fep/spec.htm

but, of course, it depends totally on preferences and usage.

FOV is perhaps a bit narrow with 38X on the 85mm (better on the 65mm = 30x), and shake might be an comfort issue in some situations, windy conditions etc. ?

http://nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/scopes/edg_fep/spec.htm

but, of course, it depends totally on preferences and usage.
Vespobuteo
That's all true. Having both (30x Ds and 38x MC) eyepieces on the ED 82, the extra mag of the latter is effective and very useful in some situations (e.g. sexing and ageing in flying Honey Buzzards), but the downside is the narrow FOV that needs continuous re-focusing with fast-moving birds, and this may be a bit annoying.
This seemed to me to be the main issue concerning the 38x, even more than the windy days. The 30x is of course less affected from this point of view

Vespobuteo
That's all true. Having both (30x Ds and 38x MC) eyepieces on the ED 82, the extra mag of the latter is effective and very useful in some situations (e.g. sexing and ageing in flying Honey Buzzards), but the downside is the narrow FOV that needs continuous re-focusing with fast-moving birds, and this may be a bit annoying.
This seemed to me to be the main issue concerning the 38x, even more than the windy days. The 30x is of course less affected from this point of view

30x is my favorite all around magnification,
(mostly used on 60mm EDIII) so the FOV was pretty good,

In low light though, 2 mm exit pupil is to small,
and for studying owls, nightjars etc my 7x42 works much better, and usually saves me...

Also when there are a lot of air/heat movement, lower mag is more useful
and 30x is to much.

So I guess there are a few good reasons to have lower mag on your scope.

Last edited:
From my opinion, you will like EDG 85. I see big differences after upgraded from my ED82 with DS30x to EDG 85 with 25x LER and 20-60x eyepiece. Wide FOV and better contrast etc. Weight is not an issue because even with the lightest scopes, we still have to mount it on tripod and video head.

If fund is not an issue, get the EDG 85 VR :king:

Last edited:
From my opinion, you will like EDG 85. I see big differences after upgraded from my ED82 with DS30x to EDG 85 with 25x LER and 20-60x eyepiece. Wide FOV and better contrast etc. Weight is not an issue because even with the lightest scopes, we still have to mount it on tripod and video head.

If fund is not an issue, get the EDG 85 VR :king:

Thanks for your input, Horukuru!

Today I wrote a long post in the telescope forum about some binos and telescopes I have tried. I think there is not a worthy contender to my Nikon ED82 with three eyepieces. The zoomfor the EDG has a much wider fov than the zoom for the ED82, but I think the fov of that eyepiece is to narrow to use all the time. With the ED82 I use the 30DS 95% of my birding time..therefore I am sure I will prefer that combo to the EDG 85 with the 20-60x zoom.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back