• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Straight or Angled (1 Viewer)

AlanF

Newbie to the scope arena. Wondering if there is an advantage in one or the other--straight vs angled? Appreciate any pros and cons with these. Considering a Zeiss 65mm primarily for birding. Also any advice on an appropriate tripod would be helpful. Thanks,

AlanF

See <this> thread - all the key points are made here. As I said there, I've just changed to angled, and wouldn't change back... particularly after a very high flying Honey Buzzard on Sunday!

Personally I use an angled scope - I had a straight one for years and only changed a few years ago - I am far happier with the angled, but it is definitely a matter of personal preference.

As for tripods I'd recommend getting a Manfrotto, very solid and well built, you'll struggle to find any better.

postcardcv said:
Personally I use an angled scope - I had a straight one for years and only changed a few years ago - I am far happier with the angled, but it is definitely a matter of personal preference.

As for tripods I'd recommend getting a Manfrotto, very solid and well built, you'll struggle to find any better.

ditto

straight

easier to follow flying birds with
quicker to get onto stuff
can be used with a shoulder pod to make getting onto stuff amazingly quick...

angled are useful if you do a lot of standing still kind of birding.

Tim

Yeah, another vote from me for straight. All the same points as Tim. Plus seawatching with an angled scope is a pain in the neck - literally!

Plus I'd always recommend going the whole hog and going for as big an objective as you can afford; the 80mm beasties have such better light-gathering. You'll only end up regretting not having one when you've used a 60miller for a while and see the difference when you look through someone else's 80miller.

ce

Last edited:
Hi all, I am using an 85FL angled with Zeiss (Manfrotto) tripod. It is my first spotting scope. Really nice set-up at my opinion. I vote for angled. But is personal preference.
Regards

I prefer angled - like most (>90%) Finnish birdwatchers. Finding/following birds is absolutely no problem after some practicing. Many have switched from straight to angled - not so many the other way around.

Ilkka

Alan,

I bought an angled Zeiss 'scope. For astronomy, when observing well above the horizon, the angled 'scope is virtually a necessity. It also makes sharing the view others much easier, as people of diferent heights can bend down to one position for a sighting.
American hunters seem to set the standard for the preponderance of straight 'scopes in the States.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

just got a televid 77 angled and I tell you it ain't half strange, after birding with a straight for the last 20 years...... considering sending it back and getting straight. Awkward!

The main complaint I have heard about the angled is that it is harder to "point" and find the bird than the straight. Also, with a straight you can attach the scope to your window. I have not found an angled hard to point, at least not with a little practice.

The main complaint I have heard about the straight is that you have to get a bigger tripod and have to get the scope very high in order to use it, unless you want to bend down to use the scope.

The big advantage I have heard about the angled is that it is easily shared among a group. I have not found this to be so. If you have persons quite a bit shorter than you, the shorter persons cannot get high enough to look down into the eye piece.

All the above said, my friends who have straight scopes advised me to get an angled scope, which I did, a Pentax 80. I am very happy with it. Then again, I might be just as happy with a straight. Personally, I do not use it very often, but do keep it in my trunk so that it is available when I need it.

I do like the idea of the 2 focusing rings of the Zeiss.

Good luck with your decision!

Lew

Hi,

Have owned both straight and angled over the years and settled on straight when I bought my Leica APO 77 - Tim has covered the main positives in his response, and although there will be many recommendations for both, you really need to get to a good optics shop & try both types to see what suits you best.

If you can get to one of the larger reserves with an on site optical dealership (such as WWT Slimbridge, etc) then you will have the opportunity of trying scopes in a 'live' birding environment which will be more realistic for you to compare models.

I also find that when photographing with an SLR alongside the scope the transition between the two is more natural and I can get on to birds much more quickly.

I have the angled Zeiss 85. If I am watching outside a hide, or seawatching its great, you can sit down low and keep out of the wind.

However in some hides its really awkward. For some reason some hide manufacturers believe that all bird watchers are over 6' in height, and put the windows really high up. You get a real crick in the neck with an angled scope in those conditions.

i have owned and used straight scopes for 20 years. I prefer them for the reasons mentioned on this thread. That being said, i see one advantage of the angled scopes: they are better when watching soaring raptors at raptor hotspots such as Hawk Mountain, Gibraltar, Bosphorus and so on.

Otto McDiesel said:
i have owned and used straight scopes for 20 years. I prefer them for the reasons mentioned on this thread. That being said, i see one advantage of the angled scopes: they are better when watching soaring raptors at raptor hotspots such as Hawk Mountain, Gibraltar, Bosphorus and so on.

That about sums up my opinion as well. Many people claim angled to cause less neck strain. For me it's the opposite (except in cases like Otto mentioned above).

I think it is in the Kowa forum that there has been a lot of discussion about light loss through an angled scope, as there is a third prism in the light path. Apparently in some scopes it noticably darkens the image. Can anybody comment on whether this is noticable when comparing straight and angled Zeiss copes?

jon

AlanF said:
Newbie to the scope arena. Wondering if there is an advantage in one or the other--straight vs angled? Appreciate any pros and cons with these. Considering a Zeiss 65mm primarily for birding. Also any advice on an appropriate tripod would be helpful. Thanks,

AlanF

For me it's a straight. My bad back dictates this. I need to stand completely vertical and never hunched over an angled scope. A really good tripod allows scope versatility too. It really is personal preference as stated several times.

The angled Diascopes utilize a one-piece Schmidt prism. If anything, it should be slightly brighter than the corresponding straight Diascope, which utilizes a two-prism porroprism set. Swarovski also uses a Schmidt for angled scopes. These prisms need to be phase-coated for optimum performance, and the roof angle needs to be very precisely ground. Nikon (in Fieldscopes only, not in spotters) utilizes a modified Schmidt (also one piece) which apparently does not require phase coating.

The bottom line is that for these three lines of scopes, the old "truth" that straight is brighter than angled no longer applies. For scopes that utilize a third prism (in addition to a porroprism set) to turn the light path the required 45 degrees, light loss is indeed inevitable.

Kimmo

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back