Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Digiscoping Adaptor for Optolyth Scopes

Old Monday 9th January 2006, 15:56   #1
mikebidwell

Digiscoping Adapter for Optolyth Scopes

Hi there

For those of you who use Optolyth Scopes you might be interested to know that Optolyth are now producing their own digiscoping adapter. I've recently been sent an e-mail from them which shows a photo of it and also some basic information about it. Unfortunately being a bit new to the forum I've not yet got the hang of posting this type of information. However if anyone is interested and can tell me how to post the photograph I will have a go at it. Alternately I would be happy to pass it on via e-mail.

It would appear though that their TBS/TBG Scopes need some modification whilst the adapter fits their Compact Scopes without any modification.

Regards

Mike Bidwell

Last edited by mikebidwell : Monday 9th January 2006 at 15:59.
Old Friday 14th April 2006, 14:10   #2
mikebidwell

Thumbs up Digiscoping Adapter for Optolyth Scopes

It took me a while to make my mind up but in the end I've bought an Optolyth Digiscope Adapter. I wanted something that would enable me to use my Sony DSC-W12 Cybershot with my G80 Compact Scope, and this appears to fit the bill. I got Ace Cameras in Bath to get one for me. It's a very well made piece of kit, one minor problem though and that is the instruction leaflet supplied is written in German and guess wot?? I don't understand the language .

That aside, first impressions are that it seems quite simple to set up. You apparently use the same thread to attach the adapter to the scope as holds the protecting eyepiece cover in place.

Hopefully over the Easter break I'll get the chance to try it out.

Regards

Mike Bidwell

PS for anyone interested in seeing the adapter visit the Optolyth website at:
http://www.optolyth.de/

Last edited by mikebidwell : Saturday 15th April 2006 at 14:21.
Old Friday 21st April 2006, 13:19   #3
mikebidwell

Thumbs down Digiscoping Adapter for Optolyth Scopes

Hi there

For anyone who may be interested, although from the lack of response it would appear there aren't many Optolyth scope users around, I just thought I'd let you have some feedback. Having now tried to use this adapter with my Sony Camera I find that you cannot line up the camera lens with the eyepiece. This is because the Sony tripod bush is off centre to the camera lens and there is no allowance for sideways adjustment on the adapter. I've e-mailed Optolyth and made them aware of the problem but as of yet I've had no replies. Nice looking piece of kit but not fit for purpose using the DSC-W12 Cybershot.

Regards

Mike Bidwell
Old Sunday 21st May 2006, 21:11   #4
mikebidwell

Thumbs up Digiscoping Adapter for Optolyth Scopes

Well I have to be honest and admit I feel a right 'plonker' In my previous post I said that I couldn't use my Sony DSC-W12 Cybershot camera with the Optolyth adapter because I couldn't get the lens to line up with the eyepiece on my scope. Fortunately for me, Ian at Ace Cameras in Bath sorted that problem out. Quite simply it was finger trouble on my part.

This morning although the weather here in Yate was abysmal, I set everything up in the lounge and focussed on a birdfeeder out in our front garden. It was quite dark but I did at least manage to get a couple of shots. A bit blurred but at least now as the song goes "Things can only get better" I hope.

So for any of you Optolyth users, yes they do make a well designed, well engineered product and if you can read German I'm sure the instructions make it easy to understand how to set it up properly

Regards

Mike Bidwell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Optolyth Digiscope Adaptor Sparrow 1.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	46692  
Attached Images

Old Friday 3rd May 2019, 10:04   #5
InternetMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebidwell View Post
Well I have to be honest and admit I feel a right 'plonker' In my previous post I said that I couldn't use my Sony DSC-W12 Cybershot camera with the Optolyth adapter because I couldn't get the lens to line up with the eyepiece on my scope. Fortunately for me, Ian at Ace Cameras in Bath sorted that problem out. Quite simply it was finger trouble on my part.

This morning although the weather here in Yate was abysmal, I set everything up in the lounge and focussed on a birdfeeder out in our front garden. It was quite dark but I did at least manage to get a couple of shots. A bit blurred but at least now as the song goes "Things can only get better" I hope.

So for any of you Optolyth users, yes they do make a well designed, well engineered product and if you can read German I'm sure the instructions make it easy to understand how to set it up properly

Regards

Mike Bidwell
Sorry to necro this 13-year-old thread, but I seem to be one of the few people in the world with the same issue. Have the adapter and the German instructions, which Google Translate mangles spectacularly.

Can anyone advise on how to fit adapter to scope?

Thanks for your time.
Old Saturday 4th May 2019, 06:45   #6
Hauksen

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetMan View Post
Sorry to necro this 13-year-old thread, but I seem to be one of the few people in the world with the same issue. Have the adapter and the German instructions, which Google Translate mangles spectacularly.

Can anyone advise on how to fit adapter to scope?
Do you have a link showing the German instructions for your specific model? My German is pretty good, so if their instructions make any sense at all, I might be able to help :-)

Regards,

Henning
Old Saturday 4th May 2019, 08:35   #7
InternetMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauksen View Post
Hi,

Do you have a link showing the German instructions for your specific model? My German is pretty good, so if their instructions make any sense at all, I might be able to help :-)

Regards,

Henning
Thanks Henning! Here's the instructions, though to me (limited German) they seemed to miss some key info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adapter.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	694015  
Old Saturday 4th May 2019, 08:59   #8
Hauksen

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetMan View Post
Thanks Henning! Here's the instructions, though to me (limited German) they seemed to miss some key info.
Here's the gist of it:

1) Before installing the adapter, you're supposed to turn the scope in the tripod attachment ring so that looking along the objective bore, the eyepiece is in either the 9 o'clock or the 3 o'clock position.

2) Screw the adapter to the eyepiece collar thread so that it's exactly vertical.

3) Attach and position camera.

4) If you have positioned the camera, there'll be no dark areas at the image edge. Use camera and eyepiece zoom if necessary.

5) A screw at the side of the adapter defines a notch-stop. I'd say the idea is to set this stop to the correct position of the camera for digiscoping, and I guess you can then swivel it out of the way for normal observation, and return it to the notch-stop defined position accurately for observation.

The points 1) and 5) are indeed quite confusing even in the German original ... I can imagine an automatic translator would make things even worse! :-)

Regards,

Henning
Old Saturday 4th May 2019, 10:05   #9
InternetMan

Brilliant, thank you so much! I'll give it a go and see how I get on.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: