• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Locustella? Of spain (1 Viewer)

The bird has a dark alula, which eliminates Savi's Warbler straight away.

Trying to claim anything based on the relative length/ratio of the tail/UTS'c is a moot point (and based on a single images, taken at an odd angle, and only half the tail being visible!).

Furthermore,h Reed Warbler (by some margin) would be statistically be much more likely than Savi's

The tonal value of alulas are very much light and angle dependant, in this case it’s in shadow, which would make it appear darker than it was, if you were attempting to view with the light coming from directly above, I’d suggest that you would get a much paler tone.

However that’s a side issue and not really relevant, compared to “what you can see” in relatively good light, to my eye one can see the underparts clearly and they end “seamlessly” (the operative word) at tail end, irrespective of whether it’s half, quarter or third of tail showing on the image.

I wouldn’t know whether the OP’s site location in Spain is known or otherwise, perhaps some local input might be useful.

Clearly a Reed Warbler indeed.
One can even see the emargination on 3rd primary, creating a crooked wing shape.
Savi's lacks emarginations and shows neatly curved outer primaries.
Also, Savi's has pinkish legs without yellow soles.
Head pattern is different too, as is the overall colour of the plumage.
The tail is largely hidden behind the reed blades here, and the undertail coverts are not visible.

The tonal value of alulas are very much light and angle dependant, in this case it’s in shadow, which would make it appear darker than it was, if you were attempting to view with the light coming from directly above, I’d suggest that you would get a much paler tone.

However that’s a side issue and not really relevant, compared to “what you can see” in relatively good light, to my eye one can see the underparts clearly and they end “seamlessly” (the operative word) at tail end, irrespective of whether it’s half, quarter or third of tail showing on the image.

I wouldn’t know whether the OP’s site location in Spain is known or otherwise, perhaps some local input might be useful.

If you can't see the whole of the tail, how can you tell the UTC's end seamlessly with the end of it....?

:eek!:

Anyway. Smiths has provided enough further evidence to put this one to bed.

Clearly a Reed Warbler indeed.
One can even see the emargination on 3rd primary, creating a crooked wing shape.
Savi's lacks emarginations and shows neatly curved outer primaries.
Also, Savi's has pinkish legs without yellow soles.
Head pattern is different too, as is the overall colour of the plumage.
The tail is largely hidden behind the reed blades here, and the undertail coverts are not visible.

A-h-h-h...I can now see where you’re coming from! What I assumed to be the spread UTC’s is in actual fact higher up on the body, well done for explaining it so well. :t:

The growth in the technical quality of digital cameras means quality images can now be forensically examined in minute detail which i find fascinating. I thoroughly absorb these sort of threads hoping to glean information that might help me in the field should i not be able to get ‘that’ clinching photo:t:

Many thanks to all the contributors.

Laurie -

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back