• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Ynys Hir RSPB (1 Viewer)

TonyC

I'm going to be staying near Ynys Hir in October. Does anyone know when the White-fronted Geese arrive ?

I have found a record dated 22/10/02 on Birdguides so they should be around when you visit.

I believe that they can be hard to find, often seen distantly from the very westerly hide (can't remember its name, Breakwater Hide perhaps?) but they also get on to Borth Bog which is hard to view.

Good luck!

Whilst you are in the area can I recommend the Kite Feeding Station on the A44 east of Aberystwyth - only about 25 minutes drive but excellent close views of Red Kite, Buzzard plus other raptors - they usually feed mid-afternoon. Not as many Kites as at Gigrin Farm but still a really special site (sight!).

Greenland Whitefronts typically arrive on their wintering sites between 15th-25th October.

BTW, for those interested in species splits, this (Greenland WFG from Eurasian WFG) looks a likely split in the near future following the research published in BWP Update 4: 65-88 (2002).

Michael

Thanks for that - I'll be there 4/5/6 October so I guess I'll be slightly too early. Hopefully the Red Kites will be around though.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back