• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lighter weight 7x42's? (1 Viewer)

bluespiderweb

Great Grey Looking Out
I almost bought one of the Meopta 7x42 closeouts from Cameralandny.com, but hesitated too long and they were gone. But one thing that held me back was the approx. 32 oz weight. I might be able to handle it, but I do have some arthritis in my hands, and also bad wrists that give me even more trouble sometimes.

So, I started looking for them, thinking I might like them for woods walks when the leaves are in, and I found that many are up there too in weight. I put a couple of wanted ads in the classified want list, but I wonder what might be out there that is a little lighter. I originally thought I would like the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42B T* P, but they are hard to find in decent condition, at a reasonable price. Yeah, I just missed one here in the classifieds!

One I saw was the Opticron Imagic, but that's a Porro, and it seems the FOV is a bit limited at 7deg, not bad, but the Zeiss is 8.5 deg in comparison! I don't really want a view that looks like you are looking through a tube (often the way some look if you extend the eyecups all the way). And I figured that a wide FOV might help there, though I have some bins that give you that open feeling in view even not being a very wide angle.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I have been looking online, and auctions, etc. I can't spend the moon either, so I'm looking for something at a decent discount from new models still available in the upper reaches. So most likely discontinued models, but still good quality optics. I doubt I will find one in the Binocular Bargain thread though! ; )

I saw an Swaro SLC B neu that looked nice, but that's also a brick, but I've read a lot of good things about it. But no return policy, so that's not as tempting, and it still is priced high. On the low end, I saw an older Canon that looks nice, but it has a 7 deg or so field too.

Maybe I might have to settle for something like a Leica BA Trinovid, still 8deg, and old enough to be better priced, though someone referred to it as a good anchor in a pinch!

But I haven't looked through any, so I could use some help with the views here, and suggestions if possible. Oh, Ceasar, where art though, Ceasar! I know you have quite the collection of these beasts!

Last edited:
You might try to find a used Zeiss Victory FL. They only weigh 26 ounces, which isn't bad at all. And the view is excellent......

You might be on the lookout for a used Leica 7x42 Ultravid BR, if you find the weight tolerable at 28 5/8 oz. with cap and strap. (at least lighter than the Meoptas). You should be able to find them for under a grand in good shape.

Also consider a harness of some sort.

Bill

Attachments

• leica.1.jpg
    leica.1.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 84
If it is less weight and a wide field of view you seek, another bin to consider is the Nikon Mhg 8x42. Its weight is under 24 oz. and the FOV is marginally wider than the Meopta, plus you get 8x instead of 7. Less expensive as well.

The Zeiss Victory FL has a wider view, but, if you wear glasses, the eye relief may be an issue.

Bill

Thanks guys, yeah, I have enough 8x's and the only limiting factor is really finding affordable bins, if I had my way, well under a grand, but closer to it than over. There just aren't that many out there for sale either, so you go by what you can get, and afford too. Good suggestions, thank you!

That's in interesting idea Bill about the 8x42 Nikon Mhg, but there has to be some basic difference in view between the 7x's and 8's. Yes, I would like wide if possible, and an wide open view-yes, no glasses used here yet. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thank you Phil, and Bill! I appreciate the input here, and welcome your experiences with them, as I have none!

Yes, I agree Phil, that FL sounds great, but finding one seems unlikely. Though I can hope! It probably would be my first choice if I could, from what I've read so far.

Bill, thank for the Leica Ultravid BR suggestion too-seems another good one to know, but finding again, any of the good ones for sale used, is a matter of luck, to a great degree now.

The Swaros seem almost worth the weight if to just get the service aspect. One I was looking at was totally rebuilt, almost, so like new again!

Last edited:
Thank you Phil, and Bill! I appreciate the input here, and welcome your experiences with them, as I have none!

Yes, I agree Phil, that FL sounds great, but finding one seems unlikely. Though I can hope! It probably would be my first choice if I could, from what I've read so far.

Bill, thank for the Leica Ultravid BR suggestion too-seems another good one to know, but finding again, any of the good ones for sale used, is a matter of luck, to a great degree now.

The Swaros seem almost worth the weight if to just get the service aspect. One I was looking at was totally rebuilt, almost, so like new again!

If you can wait a bit -- it would be worth your time to locate a used FL. Truly excellent optics, and a joy to use. I use ours when birding at the shorter ranges such as in dense woods. I found ours used, so you might find one too.

And BTW - I wouldn't worry about the FL's ER too much. I know that Opticsplanet had it listed at 16mm, but I can use them just fine w/sunglasses, which is something I cannot do with a true 16mm ER.

Also be on the lookout for a used Leica UV HD+. I don't like their view as much as I like the FL's, but the handling is in my hands much better, and it's still a pretty darned good view anyway....

Think the good choices for current production model are: Leica Ultravid HD+ 7x42, and Nikon EDG 7x42. Then, not much except inexpensive much lesser quality/cost product.

Here are some others that were considered in-betweens (not high-end/not economy) but may no longer be available other than second hand: Zen Ray ED3, Opticron BGA Classic 7x36

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/1105224/opticron_30208_bga_classic_7x36_binocular.html

Also, gcole has a 7x36 Eaglet for sale in the classifieds as I type this....

Good luck with your search,

CG

Also, forgot to mention Maven has a B2 7x45 but it is listed at 33oz

Last edited:
Bob, post 8,
Kite Optics Ibis 7x42ED (open bridge) tjis binocular may also be sold by DDoptics under their brand name:
Weight:729 g
FOV: 122M/1000m
Close Focus: 1,6m
Eye relief 19,5mm
Light transmission: 500nm=90%, 550nm=92%
Color reproduction: very good
Number of rotations from CF to infinity: 1,6
Removable eyecups, screw mount, replaced without costs by Kite
Price in november 2011: 960 euro
Gijs van Ginkel

In addition to my post 11:
Since november 2011 when I investigated the 7x42 Kite Ibis, some specifications have been changed and one of them is the FOV which is increased from 122m/1000m to 128m/1000m and close focus is also a bit smaller (1,4 m instead of 1,6 m).
DDoptics carries the Kite Ibis binocular under the type name 7x42 EDX. Price is still a little under 1000 euros.
Gijs van Ginkel

If you can wait a bit -- it would be worth your time to locate a used FL. Truly excellent optics, and a joy to use. I use ours when birding at the shorter ranges such as in dense woods. I found ours used, so you might find one too.

And BTW - I wouldn't worry about the FL's ER too much. I know that Opticsplanet had it listed at 16mm, but I can use them just fine w/sunglasses, which is something I cannot do with a true 16mm ER.

Also be on the lookout for a used Leica UV HD+. I don't like their view as much as I like the FL's, but the handling is in my hands much better, and it's still a pretty darned good view anyway....

Thanks again, Phil, that is very helpful information to know. I appreciate it!

And thanks also gang, for the rest of the suggestions and discussions. Yes, Theo, I read that post by Chuck before, but it's good to have it here again to refresh my memory, which needs all it can get lately! ; )

Last edited:
Thanks again, Phil, that is very helpful information to know. I appreciate it!

And thanks also gang, for the rest of the suggestions and discussions. Yes, Theo, I read that post by Chuck before, but it's good to have it here again to
refresh my memory, which needs all it can get lately! ; )

I have a Zeiss 7x42 FL. I have never had a problem with its 16mm ER. No blackouts. The eye cups are very comfortable and stay where they are set. Each eye cup position also has a very short locking position to ensure that. In fact, their ER seems longer than 16mm to me. The eye cups are also easily removed for cleaning the eye pieces.

Bob

PS: I forgot to mention that I do not wear glasses while using them.

Last edited:
Hey Barry,

I've been around the world with the 7Xs! ;)

I sure wanted the Swarovski Habicht 7X42 to work for me with glasses....it ALMOST does, but it just doesn't. Period. But it sure is nice, bright, and lightweight.

The 7X42 Trinovid BN sure does work. It's HEAVY but it can be wound for around $800 here and there either NIB or in nice condition. Just weighed mine, 31.7 ounces with Rick Young UL harness snaps attached. It does hold it's own with most of the more recent offerings.

Meopta B.1 7X42....I ordered mine from Germany. Paid in the $800ish range. Couldn't find one in the states. Nice binocular as has been mentioned. 32 ounces with snaps attached.

Zeiss FL 7X42..... I still don't know why Zeiss quit on the FL 42mm series. GREAT binoculars. Well thought out. Actually feels lighter than it is. I actually found mine on AMAZON of all places....a pawn shop. I've never bought a previously owned binocular in better condition. I think I paid about $1100. Pre-LotuTec. Who cares? I wouldn't trade this one. 16mm ER....I think Zeiss put 16mm on MOST things during this time frame. No issues with glasses. 26.3 ounces with RYUL harness snaps. I haven't seen a used one in a while. There's a used 8X42 on eBay right now going around $1200.

Ultravid HD + 7X42... I probably prefer this one to all the others for a birding binocular, slightly. Personal preference mostly. Size, handling, ergonomics. Feels great in the hand. Mine weighs 26.5oz with snaps. Of course the downfall...it's expensive. But you'd probably own it forever. One thing I've become aware of is how large some of the 42s really ARE. The UVHD+ doesn't apply here.

I weighed all these JUST THEN. So weight may be slightly different than previously, IDK. I just know what it is today!;)

I took an iPhone pic just then showing an SV 8.5X42, FL 7X42, and a UVHD+ 7X42.

Attachments

• 6C2F2EAF-6590-4FF5-AE37-1150141E9C1D.jpeg
    6C2F2EAF-6590-4FF5-AE37-1150141E9C1D.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 125
Hey Chuck, thank you very much for your helpful and detailed report on the 7x42's! I had been reading your older comments about them too, naturally. And Theo gave me a link to a recent one that was helpful as well. You seem to be the go-to-guy here about these, even though there are a good few others who own and use them too.

I almost had a new old stock Opticron 7x42 Imagic BGA SE right from Opticron, but Opticron's big moo said no, he wouldn't sell it across the pond, after Pete asked him about it. Something about not being able to have it serviced here under warranty if needed. I told him I would take the chance, but Pete said the boss wouldn't budge on it. Oh well, it would have been a nice one to have in a lighter weight bin, though probably not up to any mentioned before. Though it got some good reviews here. I have decided to boycott Opticron for now! lol

Edit: I decided not to boycott Opticron ; ), as I was given some noteworthy information about the BGA SE 7x42 that I didn't have before, and it seems there is some tunnel vision going on there, which means to me, I am out of there! If there is one trait in binos that I don't abide, it is exactly that-tunnel vision is not for me, in any shape or form, unless I have vision problems and cannot do otherwise. So, thank you David for your input on that bino, and in particular that trait it has in it's makeup.

My hands and wrists probably would thank me for sticking to the lighter weight ones, though if I get frustrated enough looking for them, I might just have to go heavy! ;)

Thanks for the help people!

Last edited:
Barry:

I will give my nod to the Swarovski 7x42 Habicht, porro. At only 24 oz. it offers a very nice,
very bright and sharp view.

Chuck also mentioned it above, and I do not wear glasses, works very well. It makes the under
$1,000. budget mentioned.

Some of the others mentioned do not. The FOV is a bit narrow, but I suspect the brightest of any
available.

I always wanted a Habicht porro, and this one is very good.

I am like many others on here, the 7X is not very popular, and this one is special in many ways.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back