• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best current 7x42 roof option? (2 Viewers)

I had strong kidney beans on the lowest setting, when I turned it up higher I couldn't see the AFOV anymore, it was unsatisfactory.

This is what I'm starting to feel about the Noctivid 8x, with nowhere in between that is an obvious sweet spot. Unless I keep my eyes facing forwards (not much roaming around allowed) in which case I see the field stop in peripheral vision and everything is OK.

M

Slightly related to my recent Noctivid post but hopefully different enough to be worthwhile...

If I decided to go 7x42 instead of 8x42 - which is starting to feel like a nice idea for my shorter-range/'in the woods' glass as a partner for the 12x raptor/seashore/lake/astro glass - I wonder what the best options currently are from companies that offer top build and optical quality, as well as long warranties with credible servicing. Available new are:
  • Nikon EDG
  • Leica UVHD+
  • Meopta Meostar (A Czech shop apparently still has a stash of NOS)
and an occasionally available second-hand possibility:
  • Zeiss T* FL
Any others that I should consider?

I prefer a colour balance which doesn't filter out the red/warmth which means for me the first 3 are better than the Zeiss. They all have decent focusers and deal well with glare, with perhaps the EDG best on both of these counts. I'm not fan of CA which suggests EDG and Zeiss above the others (I assume). I want the eye positioning to be easy and the ability to look around the FOV without blackouts. I usually use with glasses but I expect all modern 7x42s should have plenty of ER.

I am leaning towards the EDG but it's the one I have least experience with, just a few fleeting looks through the 8x42 and not enough time to really get to know it.

M

I usually don't have trouble subjectively "ranking" similar bins, but can't do that definitively with the EDG, HD+, and Zeiss 7x42 (no experience with Meopta).

The EDG is my favorite in terms of overall image quality, focus function and outstanding performance against the light. Massive 22mm ER. For me it does take some careful adjustment lining everything up but once locked in, it is a very relaxed image, with color saturation more like Leica than Leica IMO.

I like the Zeiss for the 450' FOV which combined with @ 2m close focus may make it a more versatile choice for use in woodlands if you enjoy looking at plants, and faster moving insects and birds. What the FL gives up in color saturation, it gives back in terms of increased performance when looking into mixed light and shadow, another possible strength for woodland use.

The HD+ may be the best "all around" choice to pick just one, with easier eye placement and IPD adjustment than the EDG.

YMMV and good luck with the search.

Mike

I'd be tempted (if budget allowed) to go with an 8x42 NL in your position. Its FOV is so good and I doubt you'd see much difference in brightness. I say this as an EDG 7x42 owner, too. The EDG is a lovely binocular, but the view through it does feel narrow after looking through the Swarovski: 159m/1,000m in the NL 8x42 vs 140m/1,000 in the 7x EDG.

The closest 7x42 in FOV terms, I guess, would be the Zeiss FL: at 150m/1,000m. But I have no experience of the Zeiss to offer, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
I'd be tempted (if budget allowed) to go with an 8x42 NL in your position. Its FOV is so good and I doubt you'd see much difference in brightness. I say this as an EDG 7x42 owner, too. The EDG is a lovely binocular, but the view through it does feel narrow after looking through the Swarovski: 159m/1,000m in the NL 8x42 vs 140m/1,000 in the 7x EDG.

The closest 7x42 in FOV terms, I guess, would be the Zeiss FL: at 150m/1,000m. But I have no experience of the Zeiss to offer, I'm afraid.

I'm not really bothered about very wide and flat fields, in fact I think I like a bit of pincushion distortion and curved field for terrestrial observation and panning/3D impression. Also, the Swaro roofs normally look too blue/cool-toned to me, with the possible exception of the SLC. And then there's the price, the armour issue and possibly the glare issue too. For me, 7x might also be about better DOF too which an 8x won't have whatever the FOV.

How would you compare colours, brightness, CA and sharpness between the EDG 7x and the NL 8x? Also, ease of eye positioning and roaming the FOV will be important for me.

If you want a new 7x42 it's EDG vs. UVHD. Only you can decide which is best for you. For me it was EDG, even though it's half the price of the UVHD....focuser, edge of field sharpness, color correction, ease of eye placement, eyecups, design of body. No PFAS chemicals. The only advantage for me of the UVHD would be the lack of prism spikes on the Moon or streetlights at night - EDG has them.

As much as I love 7x binoculars, for me a 7x42 can't replace an 8x42. I really want to have both. I absolutely love 7x for for forest birding, but I wouldn't want to give up 8x for outings that include both near and far targets. 10x is too much for me, so 7x42 is my low power and 8x42 is my high power.

My preference for a low light binocular, particularly for use on a boat, is a 7x50 one. The 50mm size objectives have a surface area that 41% greater than for 42mm objectives and there is little or no difference in overall weight of the binocular.

In very low light the color fidelity or image contrast and definition is of far less importance and I have used my 7x50 binocular as an alternative to a night vision device. If I was going to buy a 7x50 today it would be the Nikon OceanPro that sell for $239 and weigh in at 38 ounces.

Thanks. Any reasons for this ranking?
FL earns first place with widest FOV of the 4 (and if someone were to say they consider the FL the best 7x42 ever built, I would not disagree ).
UVHD+ is just slightly brighter for my eyes than EDG, so gets rank 2, EDG rank 3. MeoStar is good but large and heavy for a 7x42, so I rank it 4th.

FL earns first place with widest FOV of the 4 (and if someone were to say they consider the FL the best 7x42 ever built, I would not disagree ).
UVHD+ is just slightly brighter for my eyes than EDG, so gets rank 2, EDG rank 3. MeoStar is good but large and heavy for a 7x42, so I rank it 4th.

Thanks.

How would you rate the image in the Meostar?

For what it’s worth, if you can afford it, get the Leica.

I have both the 7x42 MeoStars and 7x50 MeoStars. They are great, excellent image, and very utilitarian but the Leica still wins out with warranty and the fact it is still being manufactured.

I also have the FL. I think the Zeiss FL is the best overall. As bright as 7x50’s with an incredible FOV. But like the MeoStars, EDG, and SLC 7x42’s, they are no longer made.

Later SLC 7x42’s are fantastic too. While I’m at it, the SLC 7x50’s were the brightest bino I have ever used.

With all of that and back on point, get the Leica’s.

Thanks.

How would you rate the image in the Meostar?
Overall very good. Image as a very slight warm color tone. A tiny bit of CA (no ED glass). Good central sharpness and brightness, off-axis sharpness very acceptable. So overall a good performance, just not as good as EDG or UVHD+ (but also much cheaper).

I have both the 7x42 MeoStars and 7x50 MeoStars. They are great, excellent image, and very utilitarian but the Leica still wins out with warranty and the fact it is still being manufactured.
I am a recent convert to Meopta's and am very impressed with the one I have.

I am intrigued by your comment on warranty as I have registered my 15x56's direct with Meopta and received a 30 year warranty.

Leica's have a 2 year warranty.

I think there's a bit of confusion here over the Leica warranty...

It's 10 years from date of purchase on all new binoculars, then, as an extra bonus, 2 years accidental damage cover in addition, upon registration of the instrument.

Thank you, I was under the impression that Leica had changed the duration of their warranty to 2 years but if it is 10 years (+extras on registration) then I will have look at the red-dot line in the the future.

For what it’s worth, if you can afford it, get the Leica.

I also have the FL. I think the Zeiss FL is the best overall. As bright as 7x50’s with an incredible FOV. But like the MeoStars, EDG, and SLC 7x42’s, they are no longer made.

Later SLC 7x42’s are fantastic too. While I’m at it, the SLC 7x50’s were the brightest bino I have ever used.

With all of that and back on point, get the Leica’s.

Another vote for the Leica.

Regarding warranty and service on the Meostar's, I assume that they all have the 30 year warranty? That will see me out! Do you have an opinion on the image quality of the 7x42 vs the 7x50? Particularly interested in sharpness and CA.

Overall very good. Image as a very slight warm color tone. A tiny bit of CA (no ED glass). Good central sharpness and brightness, off-axis sharpness very acceptable. So overall a good performance, just not as good as EDG or UVHD+ (but also much cheaper).

OK thanks.

The HD ones seem quite capable of competing with the best, perhaps the non-HD ones less so.

I am intrigued by your comment on warranty as I have registered my 15x56's direct with Meopta and received a 30 year warranty.

Yes me too.

My recently purchased Noctivids have a 10 year warranty as far as I know. 🤔 If anyone knows different please speak up!

Meopta has a fantastic warranty! I didn’t mean to make anybody think differently. In the United States it is a lifetime warranty and I have used it- of which it was all very smooth with no issues. I’ll put it this way, I’ll never sell my MeoStar binoculars.

My post was very centric to the USA and I should have clarified what I meant. In the US Leica now has what I believe to be the best warranty for top optics. No questions asked for 10 years and then a 30 year warranty to back up your optics if beyond the initial 10 years.

My statement about warranty was solely targeted at if “I brake my expensive piece of glass and metal am I out all of that money?”.

My very first post ever on this forum was me venting about my frustration with Leica’s (then) warranty. Now they have completely turned around their warranty and are worth the investment.

Another vote for the Leica.

Regarding warranty and service on the Meostar's, I assume that they all have the 30 year warranty? That will see me out! Do you have an opinion on the image quality of the 7x42 vs the 7x50? Particularly interested in sharpness and CA.
If anywhere outside of North America, then yes, my understanding is Meopta has the better warranty of 30 years and Leica (like Swaro and Zeiss) is 10 years. So please disregard my initial comment about warranty.

I have a confession. I have three 7x42 MeoStars in my house. I bought them for my children.

With that off of my chest, and also admitting I only have ever tried one sample of 7x50 MeoStar, I will tell you I believe the 7x42’s the overall superior binocular. Slightly sharper and more compact and only negligibly “less bright” in complete darkness.

Though, about sharpness, I believe they should be the same. My sample of 7x50 might simply just be less sharp.

Neither display CA and I am extremely sensitive to it. I can see CA in literally almost any binocular. The last generation of Swaro SLC, Zeiss SF and Victory FL’s are all supposed to be among the best at CA control and I still see it in them. Only the Nikon EDG has ever fully suppressed it for me. The MeoStars are next in line after the EDG for CA control.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back