• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SouthYorks neck-cricker signing in... (1 Viewer)

glynnsmith

please note my L plates.
Having seen the newly hatched Hobby chicks on the rspb webcam I did a 'Google' for more info...and was deposited here in the moss lined bird forum.
If I give the impression at any time that I have a degree of expertise in ornithology please accept that I'm making a mistake.

As a young lad of around twelve I was walking through some local field when one of the two lads I was with produced a catapult from his pocket and proceeded to down a 'blackie' with a particularly skillful shot. I couldn't believe that someone could do that ...him celebrating what a great shot he was and me calling him every bad thing i could think of while running to help the bird (I didn't find it but it was surely dead). It occurred to me that he was unaware that it mattered...and that I was aware. I've been aware of conserving wildlife ever since in my own "taking care not to cause harm" way.

Having convinced him that he could only shoot at inanimate targets (if he must) he proceeded to display his talent by aiming at a fence post - further proving his skillfulness by sticking his thumb up between the 'y' of the sprags to improve his aim. It was an absolutely pefect shot - RIGHT ON THE THUMB!

I don't normally enjoy the misfortunes of others.

Three boys walking across a field...one gasping on it about his tattered thumb and the other two asking if he thought it was worse than being prematurely dead.........

Hello everybody!o:) < me being a birdbrain....

Hi glynnsmith and welcome on behalf of the Staff and Moderators

I'm sure you will enjoy it here

D

Welcome to BF, there is a well worn thread for Yorkshire bf members which yo will surely see plus a number of other related threads.

Hi Glynnsmith as Hotspur said there is a Yorkshire Birding thread here
we also have meets on a fairly regular basis, look out for threads starting 'Tyke Meet'
Hope you enjoy BF and contribute to the Yorkshire threads.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back