• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crow, Connecticut (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Continuing on my quest to purge the dubious birds from my life list...

I have the distinct feeling the answer will be "no", but is it at all possible to ID these crows? They were on a boat rigging in Mystic, Connecticut in Summer 2012. I have them listed as Fish Crow at the moment; is that likely in that area?

Attachments

• Fish Crow.jpg
    Fish Crow.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 95
Another one bites the dust then ;) Thanks!

This likely to also be an American Crow? This one is from Frenchtown, NJ in May 2016.

Attachments

• American Crow.jpg
    American Crow.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 8
The three on the left are Fish Crows, i think they are all fish crows, the one furthest right might be American but not sure without another picture. The head and bill particularly of the 3rd bird from the left is small and compact beyond the range of Am crow in my opinion.

Mind me asking what the main visual identifier is? Everything I find about these birds suggests listening for the call... which I don't have!

They've all got square tails which tells me they're American Crows.

As opposed to what in Fish crow? I have never heard of this ID mark and cannot find it online or in my field guide (only have the Sibley app available at the moment but its usually pretty good with at least capturing the differences in the artwork which it doesn't seem to for this species comparison)

Mind me asking what the main visual identifier is? Everything I find about these birds suggests listening for the call... which I don't have!

Through a lot of practice, I have gotten pretty good at identifying them correctly at a glance even without binoculars, with years of confirmation calls after the fact of ID. I exclusively focus on 3 things, overall size, head size and hand size. All 3 things are pretty important to come to a field ID in my experience due to variation, but with practice you can guess correctly almost all the time. Fish Crows have 1 fewer primary feather causing their wing tips to look more narrow/tapered and the head size is typically quite noticeable, overall size is subjective but helpful in combination with the other 2 factors.

i had to look up the thing about fewer primaries, which i never bothered to look up until now, because knowing birds, it just seemed not true. It is NOT true. However the usefulness in field identification remains that fish crows have narrower wing tips when seen in flight. This affect is a result of P5 and P6 being longer in American Crow:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/FishCrow.htm

PS this reference does not mention the tail shape. I would be interested to have a reference for that ID mark. For me these still look like Fish Crows, but I don't know how certain one could be from only these photos barring the possible tail ID method

Last edited:
They're all sitting on boat rigging, which makes me think that they are Fish Crows. Also, they look somewhat long-tailed, which also suggests Fish Crow to me (via the 2nd edition big Sibley).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back