• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Planicie Abissar Da Madeira – Atlantic Ocean - Gannet / booby? (2 Viewers)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird Watchers!

Nort east of Madeira and south of the Ascores, I had a new friend in front of the boat and it looked like a gannet, but very dark.

Behaviour just like a gannet or booby, in front of the boat diving for fish. The gulls are usually coming in from aft soaring by and then turn around and coming back in from the aft again.

Is it possible to ID the bird from my poor pictures? Please bear in mind that I only have my very small pocket camera with me. And I really regret leaving my bird camera back home as we will pass the Panama Canal next week.

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 125.jpg
    125.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 127.jpg
    127.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 126.jpg
    126.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 79
Dear Members and Bird Watchers!

Nort east of Madeira and south of the Ascores, I had a new friend in front of the boat and it looked like a gannet, but very dark.

Behaviour just like a gannet or booby, in front of the boat diving for fish. The gulls are usually coming in from aft soaring by and then turn around and coming back in from the aft again.

Is it possible to ID the bird from my poor pictures? Please bear in mind that I only have my very small pocket camera with me. And I really regret leaving my bird camera back home as we will pass the Panama Canal next week.

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin
Looks like Red-footed Booby to me.

I would be happy to believe it is RfB but is there no chance this very bleached-out photo shows some immature Gannet (bassanus)? I quickly scanned a few thumb-pages of immatures at inaturalist and observation.org and did find no match but that hardly qualifies as a proper search.

cheers,
G

ps...nice find!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back