• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amazing new book of Brazilian birds! (1 Viewer)

Aracari

Birding in Brazil
I just got home and found this big mail box with my name on it... it was the greatly anticipated "Birds of Brazil - An Artistic View", by Tomas Sigrist.

The book is just amazing, one of the most beautiful books I have seen. It is huge and heavy, with 672 large pages filled with excellent color paintings of ALL known brazilian species (and migrants)... a total of more than 1.800 species.

The book also has some great information on all the brazilian ecossystems, birds in general, bird habits, observation tips, detailed description and range map of each and every species, etc. It also comes with a CD with 60 voices of brazilian birds. Everything in portuguese and english.

This is definetly a book every nature and bird lover should have. More information at www.avisbrasilis.com.br . Just though I would pass along this great tip.

Aracari said:
I just got home and found this big mail box with my name on it... it was the greatly anticipated "Birds of Brazil - An Artistic View", by Tomas Sigrist.

The book is just amazing, one of the most beautiful books I have seen. It is huge and heavy, with 672 large pages filled with excellent color paintings of ALL known brazilian species (and migrants)... a total of more than 1.800 species.

The book also has some great information on all the brazilian ecossystems, birds in general, bird habits, observation tips, detailed description and range map of each and every species, etc. It also comes with a CD with 60 voices of brazilian birds. Everything in portuguese and english.

This is definetly a book every nature and bird lover should have. More information at www.avisbrasilis.com.br . Just though I would pass along this great tip.

Thanks for the information, in a few weeks I am coming to spend sometime at Cristalino, I will look out for and maybe get it while I am there.

tf

I should perhaps add that while Sigrist's book is a leap forward compared to what previously was available, people will be disappointed if they expect illustrations comparable to illustrations in e.g. Hilty's Birds of Venezuela or Ridgely's Birds of Ecuador - especially "jizz" is rather odd in a number of cases. There's also another book that may be of interest and probably will be more useful as a fieldguide (while Sigrist's book certainly has much information I doubt it will receive much use in the field - size alone would make it more of a book you check when you get back home). Anyway, a link to another book (bilingual, too) that should be published "soon" (according to the info on their page it should be published in the first half of 06):

http://www.brazilimagebank.com/ptbr/content/view/2/42/

In the middle of the text, ca. 2/3 down the page, there's a link to a PDF that includes a few larger samples from the book.

Last edited:
I just looked up the details of the Sigrist book - it weighs in at 7 1/2 pounds and costs $110. No sample pages though.
Very interesting start to the list of who it is intended for.

Steve

Can't quite decide whether I should get this or not (will be going to Brazil this summer). I guess it's not going to be one I take with me, as Rasmus says. I shall be sure to recommend it to all the women I know though.

However, Sigrist is now preparing two independents field guides with a more regional range, which will include more "condensed" informations.

Really don't know, but looks like they won't be publicated too early, since the whole edition has been publicated a little time ago. Maybe next year?

I've bought this book this week and I must agree with Rasmus. The book plates are better than the ones of Souza, Sick or any other previous book on birds of Brazil. But they are not at the level of other books like Birds of South America (Ridgely) Birds of Venezuela (Hilty) or Birds of Chile (Jaramillo). In my opinion they are of poorer quality than in Birds of Argentina & Uruguay (Narosky).

Will keep waiting for the book Rasmus mentioned.

For those who go to Southwest Brazil, especially São Paulo state (and city), there's an amazing file guide called "Birds of Greater São Paulo", texts by Pedro Develey and photos by Edson Endrigo. Good size (dimensions similar to "Birds of Argentina & Uruguay"), good pictures and good descriptions.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back