• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Birding Calendar (1 Viewer)

As a first year beginner I am in need of information on what happens when in the UK birding year.

For example, I'm still really only starting on the warblers and it had never occurred to me that they would mainly stop singing by now. Obvious I suppose really when you think about it. But it means I have probably missed the chance to pick up on a few more 'til next year.

So what I'm looking for is some kind of calendar information on what happens when in the UK year - book or Internet whatever - so I can plan accordingly.

Any pointers?

Dave

As a first year beginner I am in need of information on what happens when in the UK birding year.

For example, I'm still really only starting on the warblers and it had never occurred to me that they would mainly stop singing by now. Obvious I suppose really when you think about it. But it means I have probably missed the chance to pick up on a few more 'til next year.

So what I'm looking for is some kind of calendar information on what happens when in the UK year - book or Internet whatever - so I can plan accordingly.

Any pointers?

Dave

Hi Dave,

For books, i would suggest the birdwatchers yearbook. It give loads of info on sites to visit, groups, contacts & related articles.

Websites - well there are loads which give useful info. Try fatbirder and just follow any links to your local area. then keep checking each site for new linkss. Many local groups have up-to-date sightings, so find the most useful & add them to your favourites.

As for the warblers, they may have stopped singing but from late August to end of October they will be migrating south. North Yorkshire is one of the best places on the east coast for birding so you should have a good autumn.

CB

Any pointers?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Hope you don't mind me doing a blatant piece of self-promotion here!

I produce a Yorkshire Wildlife calendar with more than 300 lines of information of what to look for when & where (in Yorkshire). It's mainly birds, but there's a scattering of butterflies, mammals, dragonflies etc. Unfortunately, I've sold out of ones for 2009, but the 2010 one should be at the printers for the end of this month. Last year the calendar cost £7 if I was posting it out, but I have no idea yet if printers' costs have risen this year. Although my calendar is especially relevant for Yorkshire birders, it has been sent all over the country & the timings aren't too different in other counties, and people can just find local sites which have the same stuff. The calendar has been orientated to East Yorkshire in the past, but the 2010 should cover the whole of Yorkshire. All pictures are taken by local birders, many of whom have been on my courses. If you are interested I could put you on a contact list, and get in touch when the calendar is ready.

By the way, there will be a burst of song from many of the warblers again in the next few weeks, as they are about to embark on a 2nd brood.

You can find a link about last year's calendar from my blog, details below.
Cheers

Spring migration is drawing to a close (not quite dead yet) but now is a good time to get round and see breeding birds e.g. Stone Curlews and Golden Orioles in the Brecks which will have young for a while yet.

Likewise seabird colonies will have rich pickings (and odours!) so this is a good time to visit the Farne Islands, South Stack etc. Honey Buzzards and Goshawks will still be on show at raptor watchpoints like Wykeham Forest and New Fancy View.

Once it gets to July failed breeding adult waders will be on their way back so the focus reverts to mud.

John

Likewise seabird colonies will have rich pickings (and odours!) so this is a good time to visit the Farne Islands, South Stack etc. Honey Buzzards and Goshawks will still be on show at raptor watchpoints like Wykeham Forest and New Fancy View.

Once it gets to July failed breeding adult waders will be on their way back so the focus reverts to mud.

John

Yeah all that is covered in my calendar, but substitute Flamboro North Landing, if the Farne islands are too far!

I hope it's OK to mention that my 2010 Yorkshire Wildlife Calendar has just been published. Now available for £7 (incl p & p) UK only [£6 if postage is not involved!] It features some stunning pictures of Yorkshire birds, and other wildlife by such BF luminaries as Marcus Conway, Vince Cowell, John Sadler & Maurice Gordon (a lurker only). What makes the calendar unique are the nearly 300 lines of information & suggestions, which has been revamped to include wildlife and locations from each area of Yorkshire.

A tantalising glimspe of some of the pictures can be seen at my blog entry for yesterday - link below

It can be bought at North Cave Wetlands for £7 with a £1 for each one going to YWT, or if you see me in the flesh I can hand one to you for £6, or I can post one out for you at £7 if you PM me for more details.

Cheers

Hi Michael

You Yorskshire Wildlife Calendar sounds good. Any idea of any equivalents for other parts of the country?

Thanks

I tend to buy the Birdwatching magazine monthly and have since I started birding 4 years ago I have found it very helpfull. There are other publications but this one seems to be aimed at the more casual birder rather than the hardcore.

A great leg up ! Happy Birding

Hi Michael

You Yorskshire Wildlife Calendar sounds good. Any idea of any equivalents for other parts of the country?

Thanks

Hi Stoggler,

As far as I know mine is unique. Should really syndicate it round the country with each local trust. Although the places mentioned won't mean much to those outside Yorkshire, the wildlife should more or less be around at the same time. You probably will get things a few days earlier down south. An advantage over a monthly birding mag is you can plan ahead with the calendar if there's anything in particular you want to see later in the year & make sure you have some free time around the period that your bird/insect/mammal is most active. Some of the calendars have gone to the Arab Emirates & New Zealand, so goodness knows what they get out of it! Probably, sighing as they realise what they're missing back in blighty!

Cheers

I tend to buy the Birdwatching magazine monthly and have since I started birding 4 years ago I have found it very helpfull. There are other publications but this one seems to be aimed at the more casual birder rather than the hardcore.

A great leg up ! Happy Birding

Couldnt agree more.....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back