• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Daubentons and spotlights (1 Viewer)

sidwemn

I visited a site last night where good numbers of Daubenton and Pipistrelles were feeding. I only had a low power torch and it was very difficult to get satisfying views of the bats.

The question is, what effect would a high power spot light such as the 3 million cadle power beams have on the bats? I am considering buying one of these rechargable units but am concerned about the bats welfare.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Martyn

Not sure about the bats welfare but I have a similar torch to what you're considering and it's not meant for continuous use so it "dies" after about 10 mins or less. You may want to invest in something allowing prolonged viewing.

Incidentally I had my first bat of the year in my garden. Seemed to be medium sized any ideas what It might be? It was flying at roof gutter line and below.

I suspect it won't cause them any harm, in so much as they will veer away and steer clear of the light. If used excessively it may disturb them from the area? if you catch one in the face, it will probably be uncomfortable for a while same debate as "lamping" owls etc..
To be honest you don't get good views of many bats, especially the smaller species! join your local bat group, and you may get to see a roost, or bats being weighed.
Just off out to see if any pass over my house!

Daubentons & Spotlights

Thanks for the replies.

Firstly re the Torch - I don't intend to search for the bats using the torch. The idea would be to use my bat detector and when a Daubenton is on the pool (it is only a very small pool) switch the light on, so I expect to only use it intemittently.

Regarding disturbance, I don't expect to check this pool more than once or twice during the summer, and then would only view for a few minutes.

Regarding local bat groups, I have looked up our local group and will get in touch

Many thanks

Martyn

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back