• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Imagic BGA SE (1 Viewer)

Steve Jones

I've just been reading a store review of the 8 x32's, which give a glowing report of the latest Imagic standard with the oasis coatings, including use of words like 'stunning'.
They are rated as up there with the best (obviously Leicas, swaro etc).

Are they really that good? Anyone got some/tried some and care to comment as I'm in the market for some new smaller bins and these sound promising. (not to mention a 'promising' price too).

I now realise that these bins are a very new on the market.
Another thread referred to the number of models labelled BGA, which I've noticed in recent adverts. If looking for the new model its probably best to ask for the 'SE' (as per Nikon?), or else end up with the wrong model altogether....
Perhaps someone should suggest to Opticron that they try to come up with more snappy names for their optics ("the new Opticron TIGER....optics that bite!!!??")
My original point was that some reviews now suggest that Opticron may have finally (or nearly?) caught up with the class leaders, which would be much to their credit, considering their prices.

Incidentally, talking Opticron, I recently did a mix and match with some Opticron porro's, as my 15 year old 8x32 dioptrons got dropped (...again) and well and truly ruined (re-collimation just seems too much like wasted money now). I also had some 8x42 dioptrons which I got off ebay for £15 which seemed even older (they have 'Opticron' in a triangular logo and blue objective lens'). I removed the blue 42mm objectives, replaced them with the 32mm green objectives off my broken pair and guess what....brilliant!!! - great FOV and colour resolution that seems better than my original bins.
One thing I would comment is that the old rubber eyecups feel better than a lot of the twist-ups I've tried recently. It must be me!

Perhaps someone should suggest to Opticron that they try to come up with more snappy names for their optics ("the new Opticron TIGER....optics that bite!!!??")

Hi Steve,

I will let the boss know, its good to have some feedback on things like this.
They will be available to view at the birdfair, if you are going?

Out of interest, where was the review? I Have not seen it yet.

All the best.

Hi Rob,

The review info is posted on the South West Optics web site.

I can't make the Birdfair, but will be going to the NW Birdfair at Martin Mere in October. I don't know whether 'in focus' there will have them.

I notice on the Opticron ad that Lamberts at Lancaster stock them. Will probably look at them there.

I've just been looking at these on the Opticron website and the specifications, especially the 8x32, do sound very good.

FOV 140 metres, 17mm eye relief, 4 stage twist down eyecups, close focusing 1.5 metres, nitrogen purged and waterproof to 3 metres, magnesium body, 30 year guarantee and all for a list price of £379.

They've got to be worth a look.

Ron

They are not in the same league as Leica Swarovski etc as suggested in the original post. If that is was is being suggested let alone stated by South West Optics then its a very mighty statement!

They may be comparable to the likes of the SLC / Conquest or Minox but as good as the FLs / ELs / HGLs / Ultravids ? --- no way hose!

They are not in the same league as Leica Swarovski etc as suggested in the original post. If that is was is being suggested let alone stated by South West Optics then its a very mighty statement!

They may be comparable to the likes of the SLC / Conquest or Minox but as good as the FLs / ELs / HGLs / Ultravids ? --- no way hose!
....but a half the price (or more...someone's selling them at £319!).

Have you compared them then???

SLC, Conquest and Minox are actually very good optics IMHO.

In optical and build quality terms the SLCs are as good as the ELs, their only problem is their weight and lack of close focus.

Paul

Yep, less than half the optical quality of an FL! Not as good as an SLC. Struggled to see the improvements when compared to the previous models but they (SE) were only just brighter at distant.

Yep, less than half the optical quality of an FL! Not as good as an SLC. Struggled to see the improvements when compared to the previous models but they (SE) were only just brighter at distant.

The main new features on the SE is the field of view. A true 7 degrees on the 8X42, 8 degrees on the 8X32 and 6.5 degrees on the 10x42 which is more than a Swarovski EL 10X42 at 6.3. Other modifications have been multi stage eyecups, and a better natural rubber grip, they are also very well balanced.

I believe they are more than half as good as a Swarovski EL, Leica Ultravid etc...And represent excellent value for money.

Reviews are no substitute to trying them out for yourself, and compairing them against other brands etc side by side.

Hello,
I have the previous model 8x42 IMAGIC BGA PC ASH T. I have had them about 2 months and am delighted with them in all aspects and conditions. My own thoughts have been confirmed by my fellow birder, and the manager of a local country park. I part exd. them from an Opticron BGA WP 10x50 because I wanted closer focus facility.
I went to Birdfair last Friday with my fellow birder, who has B & L Elites 10x42.

It was interesting. We tried all the top line models, and compared with our own - in so far as you can at that environment. We enjoyed all the ones we looked through with the exception of the Steiner, which we both could bot use at all, for what ever reason. No other bino of any make or size caused us a problem.

We both came away entirely satisfied with our own bins. I did not find any that made me think WOW these are so much better than mine, and side by side, apart from odd brightness differences could not really see any difference at all.
The BGA SE'e did bot seem any different than mine (apart from the wider FOV) and Opticron said not to expect any other difference.

Having said all that, both of us liked the Zeiss Victory FL's best of all. But whether one gets £700 more is another thing.

Have a look through them at Lancaster.

My first, and perhaps only post, but as there does not seem to be much comment or reviews on these, I thought I would have my 2p's worth

Hi GKW,
Interesting that you've got Opticron bins and your friend Elite 10 x42's, as this mirrors what I use, although I'm finding that I use the Elites less and less now as my old 8 x32 Opticron dioptrons are so light, bigger field of view and just 'more relaxing' that I've started using these more. That is why I've taken an interest in the new SE 8x32's which boast a very wide FOV and improved optics at a good price.
Will definitely check them out in the near future. I agree that there's no substitute for trying them out against your existing bins and rival offerings.

I've just been looking at these on the Opticron website and the specifications, especially the 8x32, do sound very good.

FOV 140 metres, 17mm eye relief, 4 stage twist down eyecups, close focusing 1.5 metres, nitrogen purged and waterproof to 3 metres, magnesium body, 30 year guarantee and all for a list price of £379.

They've got to be worth a look.

Ron

I also was admiring the specs of the 8x32 model last night from the opticron website, seems a neat package but I really prefer a nice 7x42!

Hs anyone had any experiance of the 7x42 model?

Matt

I also was admiring the specs of the 8x32 model last night from the opticron website, seems a neat package but I really prefer a nice 7x42!

Hs anyone had any experiance of the 7x42 model?

Matt

What is the advantage of the 7x42 format? The field of view is the same as the 8x42. The eye relief is huge at 24mm with very deep eyecups (does this mean you have to use them at arm's length.);) Are 7x42s normally brighter than 8x42s or do they have greater depth of field?

Just curious.

Ron

Have always been impressed by Opticron equipment for build quality and performance, in fact my second set of binoculars (claimed by my wife) are a set of 8x42 BGA PC AG that I have had for about 15 years which we both find are still excellent - as a spectacle wearer my wife finds the eye relief pretty much perfect with the eyecups folded down.

Tried the SE's out at a less than sunny Slimbridge a couple of weeks ago and was mightily impressed, as were a few other birders sheltering from the showers, and we had a mini group test of 30 different sets ranging from Bushnell roof prisms through to Leica & Swaro. Winners of our mini-review in price bands were - high: Leica Ultravid 10x42BN (mine |:d|), mid: Nikon Monarchs and Opticron SE's (split decision) & low: Bushnell Natureview 8x42.

Hope this is of some help.

Are 7x42s normally brighter than 8x42s or do they have greater depth of field?

Just curious.

Ron

Thats just about it!!

7x42's also have a slightly easier on the eye image and are somewhat easier to hold steadier than the higher mag 8's (though for every one birder who swears by a good 7x42 there'll be someone who says they can never tell the difference between the two;))

I guess the difference is a little more critical at the budget end of the market?

Matt

I have Imagics and my brother has Leica Ultravid. At the centre of the image there is not much between them but the Opticrons dont have the sharpness at the edges. The Leica's aren't £700 better but they are better.

I've just recieved a set of these bins and I can tell you they are truly fantastic. I can tell no difference between these and some Ultravids I have used previously.

Crisp, bright image, extremely wide field of view, nice in the hand, not massively expensive, a thoroughly good buy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back