• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

surprise to see bats (1 Viewer)

Roger S.

my knowledge of bats is very bad, and living on a modern housing estate i never thought i would see any around my house. But surprised i have been because at 9.30 each night i have about six flying back and forth outside my back door. what type would they be please and would they live in the roofs of modern houses (i always thought they where old houses and tunnels etc.Poor is my knowledge.
I live near the coast in west sussex.If that helps.

Cheers.

Pipistrelles most likely

They're quite happy in modern houses, often gaining access to the loft space under the eaves ~ doesn't say that you will actually see them hanging upside down from your rafters though as they often get between the tiles and felt lining.

Matt

I did get up in my loft yesterday Matt, but I was disappointed not to see any, so that might explain it. It just seemed they appeared out of nowhere as i have never seen them in the evenings before, and i would be sure i would have noticed them. I hope they stay.

Thanks.

Roger

You could check your loft floor and walls for bat droppings.. tiny black, crumbly pellets, about 3 mm x 1mm. That would be a sure sign. Not easy to find their roosts in an estate with lots of potential roost sites though!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back