• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello to all D'scopers :) (1 Viewer)

MedicineMan4040

Greetings from a 'becoming birder'..
I'm a photographer who has come to birding seeking more and more challenging targets. This winter I even built a bird 'studio' in my backyard :) It really makes short work of the chickadees, Carolina Wrens, mocking birds, etc. There are times as a digiscopers know when even the longest lens is not long enough and at my age and physical ability the c300mm F2.8 is really all that I want to hand hold for any length of time. Thus the move toward d'scoping :)

Now advice please!
I like the looks of the Swaroski Optik 95mm. I understand it will connect with my Sony Nex (I have Nex5,6, and 7 and next month will add the A6000) BUT BUT BUT how to connect to the TLS APO adapter??? Do I have to have an e-mount lens already on the Nex body? or will a e-mount t-adapter work? This I am unclear of and hopefully Neal in Oz will read this!

I also use various Canon bodies (6D,70D,5DIII) and found an adapter for it but carrying a heavy EOS body kinda defeats the purpose. In that vain there is also laying next to me a Sony A7r which might work (but this camera really is a landscape photographers tool in that it is slow slow slow for most all other things).

Here is a link to my Flickr page, not sure if it will load (can some one try please); it will give an idea of what I have been shooting (and not what I want with a digiscope set up).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/medicineman4040/

So nice to find this forum and the helpful members. I'm sure for the most part I'll site back (lurk) and absorb/adsorb as much as possible with fingers crossed I can contribute someday.

Sincerely,
Robert

p.s what rail to get to hold a Nex-7 + the Swaroski 95mm on a tripod ?
p.s.s. Mods please move to a more proper section if deemed needed. You know how new members are, excited to find a gathering of like minded and too quick to post!

Last edited:
Greetings from a 'becoming birder'..
I'm a photographer who has come to birding seeking more and more challenging targets. This winter I even built a bird 'studio' in my backyard :) It really makes short work of the chickadees, Carolina Wrens, mocking birds, etc. There are times as a digiscopers know when even the longest lens is not long enough and at my age and physical ability the c300mm F2.8 is really all that I want to hand hold for any length of time. Thus the move toward d'scoping :)

Now advice please!
I like the looks of the Swaroski Optik 95mm. I understand it will connect with my Sony Nex (I have Nex5,6, and 7 and next month will add the A6000) BUT BUT BUT how to connect to the TLS APO adapter??? Do I have to have an e-mount lens already on the Nex body? or will a e-mount t-adapter work? This I am unclear of and hopefully Neal in Oz will read this!

I also use various Canon bodies (6D,70D,5DIII) and found an adapter for it but carrying a heavy EOS body kinda defeats the purpose. In that vain there is also laying next to me a Sony A7r which might work (but this camera really is a landscape photographers tool in that it is slow slow slow for most all other things).

Here is a link to my Flickr page, not sure if it will load (can some one try please); it will give an idea of what I have been shooting (and not what I want with a digiscope set up).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/medicineman4040/

So nice to find this forum and the helpful members. I'm sure for the most part I'll site back (lurk) and absorb/adsorb as much as possible with fingers crossed I can contribute someday.

Sincerely,
Robert

p.s what rail to get to hold a Nex-7 + the Swaroski 95mm on a tripod ?
p.s.s. Mods please move to a more proper section if deemed needed. You know how new members are, excited to find a gathering of like minded and too quick to post!

Welcome to the Group Robert. Loved your Flickr photos.
For the Nex cameras you'll need a T2/Nex Adapter
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/737936-REG/Novoflex_NEX_T2_Adapter_for_T2_Mount_Lens.html
for the TLS APO
If you want Auto Focus then get the Sigma 30/2.8 E lens to match up. Very sharp for the money and will mount on the DCB 11 adapter.
Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Neil.

Thanks so much Neil. You are most def. an inspiration in this genre of photography.
I grew up with a Nikon F2 ~an era when nothing was autofocus~ so I'm good with fiddling with settings.
I was hoping some of the Sony e-mount lenses would work. I have a Sony SEL 18 1.8 within arms reach :(

Thanks so much Neil. You are most def. an inspiration in this genre of photography.
I grew up with a Nikon F2 ~an era when nothing was autofocus~ so I'm good with fiddling with settings.
I was hoping some of the Sony e-mount lenses would work. I have a Sony SEL 18 1.8 within arms reach :(

Thanks for your kind words Robert. I love cameras and some of my early Nikon cameras are still sitting in pride of place in my camera cabinet.
I have been looking longingly at the Nikon df but can't justify it as it doesn't have video. I'm not that nostalgic.
Happy digiscoping.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back