• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

barn owls - Middlesex (1 Viewer)

Welcome to Bird Forum Ben :t:

I've moved your query to the Info Wanted forum as it may attract more replies. Barn Owls are usually nocturnal so they can be pretty hard to find, however once they've bred - anytime now - they do come out to hunt in the day time.

Middlesex is huge. Which part are you in?

Barn owl seen in Hedgerley, just off the M40 regularly. Too far for you?

dave

the road that runs from the M40 junction 2, turn back on yourself left and you are 100 yards south of, and parrallel with the m40. seen several times at dusk about 1/2mile south of the junction.

mind you i have travelled that road many dozens of times and see it (one) only 4 x.

you can combine it with a trip to the rspb reserve woods at hedgerley where there are woodpecker, kites and buzzards, kestrel, a sparrowhawk all at varying times, near to the white horse real ale pub, well worth a visit.

good luck

I have heard that there are a pair in Osterley park. It looks like the perfect habitat to me, but then I'm not a Barn Owl

Unfortunately I think you may be thinking of Little Owls, of which there are several at Osterley. There used to be Tawny Owls too but I've not seen any or heard of any reports lately. I haven't ever seen or heard of a Barn Owl there even though as you say the farmland and parkland looks ideal! (I live just up the road and bird it pretty regularly.) Please do let me know if I'm wrong though, as I'd love to see one there...

Barn owls

Ben

There's private reserve somewhere near Hedgerley/A40 that's owned by the waterboard. I'm desperately trying to think of the name now as I used to be a member (quite easy to join). It has a coded gate if that rings any bells with anyone. Actually it might be in herts but anyway not too far as I used to do them both on the same day...been a long time...

O.k. I give up. If I think of it I'll post again, sorry

Have seen one in the last 2-3 weeks flying over Yeading Lane early morning about 06:00.From the field opposite the pub (The Industry)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back