• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanager or Flycatcher - Central Panama (1 Viewer)

tanagra

...near Aguadulce, Central Panama earlier this month.

First one could be a female Summer Tanager -

IF it were an immature Male would it have some RED clearly visible?) Picture has adjusted levels to bring out the shadows, I think I see a possible red patch around the throat

Second bird not sure if that dark area around the eyes is a shadow.. looked like a female Summer Tanager at first sight but after seeing the photo closely I wonder if it could be some kind of Flycatcher relative... Poor quality photo could be hard to tell what it really is

Attachments

• Tanager1.jpg
    Tanager1.jpg
    913.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Tanager2.jpg
    Tanager2.jpg
    957.9 KB · Views: 50
Regarding the first one: Summer Tanager often develops red spots during winter. However, this bird seems to have black wings? Could it be Scarlet T?

Niels

Agree, maybe Yellow-green if it's in range

Interesting! That would be a first one for me, now I notice it's more similar to pictures of a yellow-green vireo than a Summer Tanager - which is more uniformly yellowish, while this bird here has a mix of lighter tones on the lower parts - whitish/gray in the front, with more yellow towards the rear, consistent with pics online of the yellow-green vireo. E-bird shows in range and very common in Pacific slope of central Panama

Regarding the first one: Summer Tanager often develops red spots during winter. However, this bird seems to have black wings? Could it be Scarlet T?

Niels

The wings aren't exactly black, look dark in part because of the light/shadow. To me bill looks thicker and longer than a Scarlet's. Very similar to this bird also photographed in the area (could even be the same bird) to me looks like Summer....

What do you think?

Attachments

• tanager3.jpg
    tanager3.jpg
    638.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Tanager4.jpg
    Tanager4.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 14
As far as the tanager in the original post now I'm no longer so sure it is a Summer Tanager - wings look dropped in a position very similar to pictures of the Scarlet I have seen.. Can the Summer have the wings in this position too at rest? There's also those white/lighter toned streaks along the belly

Last edited:
As far as the tanager in the original post now I'm no longer so sure it is a Summer Tanager - wings look dropped in a position very similar to pictures of the Scarlet I have seen.. Can the Summer have the wings in this position too at rest? There's also those white/lighter toned streaks along the belly

Position of the wings would not count either way for me. The main question is what the wing color of that bird really was? Secondary is what does the bill really look like, and does the angle of the current pic allow a good estimation of that?

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back