• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus 45mm f1.8 - Any Digiscopers using? (1 Viewer)

rka

ttbirds
Would love to see samples from anyone using this fast lens since would be a very fast 90mm equivalent which sounds near perfect for digiscoping if coupled with a 20-30x range eyepiece.

Much appreciated if anyone can point me to a few bird pic samples.

As has been discussed here many times, the F ratio of the lens is irrelavent in any camera other than a P&S. The system F ratio is bound by the eyepiece exit pupil which can never be larger than 5mm with current scopes, or ~F8-ish when using a 45mm lens. Means you could stop down the lens to F8 before any light to the sensor is reduced.

Two primary specifications govern a fixed focal length lens' digiscoping compatibility to minimize vignetting.

1) the distance between the front of the lens and its iris
2) the available eyerelief of the eyepiece, usually no more than 20mm (few exceptions)

The lens iris must fall within the eyerelief of the eyepiece to avoid vignetting. With only 20mm max to work with, this means a pancake lens works best.

Last edited:
I posted this question over a year ago I think. We didn't get a response so we bought one to try. My dad tried the mft Oly 45mm 1.8 and was using it for a year on a Swarovski ATM80 HD with the 25-50W ep. He really wanted the extra focal length as he predominately shoots on mud flats.

I tried various distances from the eyepiece to try to resolve the issue but a lot of the images were very flat and washed out. I bought the Oly 14-42 mm version II lens and he's much happier now.

I don't have access to any of his pics to show you though and he's not online.

I have some pictures made with the Olympus 45 mm f1.8 lens. The pictures of the Woodpecker and the Linnet were made with a Leica APO Televid 82 mm at 25X, while the gull picture was made with the Swarovski ATX 95 mm at 30 X. In all cases the camera was an Olympus PL3.

Marcel

Attachments

• zilvermeeuw121122_0261.jpg
    zilvermeeuw121122_0261.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 353
  • grotebontespecht120425_0961.jpg
    grotebontespecht120425_0961.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 375
  • kneu120414_0420.jpg
    kneu120414_0420.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 375
Nice picture Marcel.

Could you let me know if you have got any vignetting with your different scope and ocular? x25 and x30?

Recently I´ve bought a panasonic G3 and I´ve seen that with the lens 14-42 the vignetting with zoom ocular, x30 is very bad, with x25 although exists is better (scope Kowa 887).

So I am thinking in getting this lens (olympus 45mm) for digis.

Many thanks in advance

Regards
Fernando

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back