• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help - Connecting Coolpix 995 to PC (1 Viewer)

Jynx

Mike King aka The Gloster Birder, Keeping Gloster
Please can anybody help with the following. I have just acquired a 2nd hand Coolpix995 and am trying to connect it to the PC. The manual simply says plug the USB cable into the camera and the PC and switch on the camera. I've done this, installed the drivers in WinME, can see the camera in the Control Panel, but when I click on it it says "Device failed to initialise". It is connected properly and I have the rectangular icon on the camera indicating so. How do I get this to work please? Ideas?
TIA
Mike

995 to Pc

Hello Mike

Can't really help but I can make a suggestion. Have got the memory card in...?
I have the 995 and I would recommend you buy a card reader in fact I have just bought a dual card reader to replace my old one and that only cost me £17 including postage from 7dayshop.com.

Roy.

Hello Mike,

On behalf of admin and all the moderators, welcome to Bird Forum.

Usually with USB devices, you have to install the drivers before connecting the hardware. I don't have my 995 any longer so I can't check whether the manual says to do it this way round, but I used a card reader anyway so never used the camera to download the photos.

It is strange that the computer recognises it, though, if the drivers have been installed in the wrong order.

Maybe someone else has the answer.

Thanks Roy
yes the cards in. I am going to borrow a card reader from work over the w/e but I guess I'll have to buy one if the direct connection doesn't work.
Mike

Thanks Diane
its taken me a year (almost) to make my first post - too busy with running my own site - The Gloster Birder. Everything says its OK with the camera but it ain't working, so I'll have to get a card reader.
Mike

Hi Mike,
Welcome to BirdForum.net
Nikon doesn't always get along too well with WinME, it really is a good idea to get a card reader... this saves excess wear on the cameras usb socket (if you fancy using the Nikon remote) and also saves your camera batteries from being used up in transfer.... and saves you from nasty accidents if your camera power goes during transfer.
You won't regret buying a card reader, I don't know anyone who has.
Regards,
Andy

You should consider an upgrade to Win2K Professional or above since drivers for generic mass storage devices are built into the operating system. As a result, any generic CompactFlash reader and many cameras can simply plug into the USB port and be seen as just another disk without loading any software. This is also true for many other peripherals.

rka

Mike,

I had a similar problem with my Coolpix 4500 and had to get expert help. My problem was that when my computer was set up, 32000 empty files were left in the startup folder. The computer was checking every one of these to see if the camera was already installed, so the computer was effectively freezing. The problem was solved by an expert, so I can't tell you how he did it, but they took 16 hours to delete.

Good luck

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back