• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sylvia cantillans (Spain) (1 Viewer)

SLopezM

Sergio López Martín
Hello everyone. I might have posted these images in previous posts, but I would like to publish them again, this time all of them together.

Each picture belongs to a different bird, although I have classified the three of them as Sylvia cantillans. Am I right?

All the pictures were taken during summer in Spain.

Attachments

• Curruca carrasqueña (Sylvia cantillans).jpg
    Curruca carrasqueña (Sylvia cantillans).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • Curruca carrasqueña (Sylvia cantillans)1.jpg
    Curruca carrasqueña (Sylvia cantillans)1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
  • Curruca carrasqueña (Sylvia cantillans)2.jpg
    Curruca carrasqueña (Sylvia cantillans)2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
Not right, since the old Subalpine Warbler was split, with cantillans being the eastern Mediterranean species! These should be Western Subalpine Warbler; now Curruca iberiae :t:

Cool! Could you please quote the paper of the study carried out to determine this?

However, if adding these pictures to eBird (where S. iberiae is not included yet), S. cantillans would be the "best" option, right?

Cool! Could you please quote the paper of the study carried out to determine this?

However, if adding these pictures to eBird (where S. iberiae is not included yet), S. cantillans would be the "best" option, right?

As long as eBird don’t call it Eastern Subalpine I guess you have no alternative until they update things.

I guess these are taken on mainland Spain, not the Balearics where Moltoni's is the breeding species?

Yes, currently eBird uses cantillans for Western and albistriata for Eastern and will do so for a while longer as the mid-year update has been delayed.

Zuccon et al. 2020
Abstract: https://academic.oup.com/zoolinnean/article-abstract/190/1/314/5707596
Full paper at sci-hub: https://www.sci-hub.tw/10.1093/zoolinnean/zlz169

Maghreb Ornitho blog summary: https://www.magornitho.org/2020/05/subalpine-warbler-taxonomy-revisited/

So just to be sure about it... Either S. iberiae or S. cantillans, are the three images correctly identified?

So just to be sure about it... Either S. iberiae or S. cantillans, are the three images correctly identified?
I'm not very good at these Mediterranean warblers, but they look OK to me. Wait for someone else with better experience to say, before ticking them!

If ebird only lets them in as cantillans, I'd withhold the record from them until they get the taxonomy sorted, otherwise there's a risk the data will be unreliable/erroneous in the future.

...These should be Western Subalpine Warbler; now Curruca iberiae :t:

Shouldn’t that be Sylvia iberiae still?

(unless the new taxonomic changes are already in and we no longer refer to these as ‘sylvias’)
I really don’t like this renaming of a whole genus! (apart from a couple) (Does Lesser Whitethroat become C.curruca?)

Last edited:
Shouldn’t that be Sylvia iberiae still?

(unless the new taxonomic changes are already in and we no longer refer to these as ‘sylvias’)
I really don’t like this renaming of a whole genus! (apart from a couple) (Does Lesser Whitethroat become C.curruca?)
No; Curruca came in last month with IOC 10.2: https://www.worldbirdnames.org/bow/sylvias/
They're still in Sylviidae, but I suppose we ought really call them 'sylviids' rather than 'sylvias' in colloquial use.

And yes, Curruca curruca for Lesserthroat :t:

They're still in Sylviidae, but I suppose we ought really call them 'sylviids' rather than 'sylvias' in colloquial use.

Thanks for the updated links.

( I can cope with using ‘sylviid’ for an unspecified ‘sylvia’ in ‘common parlance’ - not such a difficult transition ;))

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back