• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st budget scope (1 Viewer)

billy

looking to buy my first scope but have a very limited budget. have seen a kowa 611 with 25x eyepiece, case and tripod, and a opticron hr 60 with 20-45x eyepiece plus case for same price ( i have a tripod anyway ). any advice or opinions would be most welcome

i started off with a Kowa 611 myself with a 32xWA. It was an excellent scope with good optics and light enough to carry on holiday. My only reservation would be be that I found it of little use for digiscoping, but for normal viewing use I thought it was ideal.

both were in Warehouse Express online at £260ish, could maybe manage to run to £300. theres no place to try them out so i have to buy online. digiscoping will be far down the line as i only have a wee 1.3 mp camera.

Billy

I use a camera which only produces pictures of 640x480=307,200 pixels, but I still use it for digiscoping. I have only taken about a dozen which I thought were good out of over a thousand. Having a 1.3Mp camera doesn't stop you digiscoping!. When you get your scope try puting the camera too the lens, you may be surprised!.

Billy

I see you are living in Scotland.
Have a look at the Opticron Imagic 65 and 80 on the Infocus site under reviews using the link from AndyC above. Both are Nitrogen filled and waterproof.
We can all offer suggestions, but your best bet would be to visit a shop with several models and look through them, or, are their any reserves which have optics field days near you?.

Billy, Don't forget the Nikon spotterscopes I recently got one for digiscoping with a coopix4500 and was surprised how good a scope it is considering the low cost.

Billy

If you're still interested, there is a good review of small scopes ( 50-66mm ) in this months ( September ) Birdwatching Magazine.

alan

picked up last months birdwatching mag couple of weeks ago ( first time i had seen it ), must say it's quite good. will check it out, thanks
billy

G'day all

I have a Kowa TS 501 with an angled 20-40X zoom which cost me about $550 Australia a year or so ago. It suits me! Even works for digiscoping with a Ricoh Caplio RR30 digicam.

Cheers

Steve

Hi, also thinking about buying a first scope too. but not as much dosh to spend......anyone got any details on this scope?

DOWLING & ROWE 15-45x60 water proof.
Rubber armoured , angled eyepiece. Carry case. £118

Do they just screw-on to a tripod (got an old slik88) or is some sort of mount needed?

Been looking for a website for D&R but can't find one, anyone know who makes them? On another thread there was talk of certain "generic similarities" and not many different manufacturers.

Sorry for repetition if there's an faq on this, or an earlier topic.

thanks :t: but the one I'd already done in google.co.uk (firstly for uk sites and then webwide - narrowing it down by using quotes round DOWLING & ROWE) didn't bring up much of interest, also checked other search engines......

thought maybe someone had personal knowledge?

A friend of mine has an 'all in one' 15-45x60. I can't remember what the make is, but I'm pretty certain that it is a piece of badge engineering. I have seen very simalar scopes with different labels - I think Swift and Praktica. Try searching on Google images using "15-45x60" and see if any of the pictures look the same as your scope.

AndyC

Don't know about the scope you mentioned but if you are looking for a good first scope it may be worth checking out the Kowa 500 series and the Opticron IS scopes. Both come in under £175 (the Kowa under £150) - optically they are excellent and are small and light. It is also worth checking out secondhand optics as you will obviously end up getting more for your money.

Main thing though is to make sure you try before you buy - ideally test everything in your price range - that way you'll get the right one for you.

thanks guys, still surfing, looking for bargains.....and as I prefer to Net shop, does it really matter that much if I don't try 'em out? I'm sure my eyesight isn't 20-20 anymore! and if I've got an idea of weight how wrong could I get it if I can't pre-test?
I'm still on my 1st pair of bins, (the only ones I tried in the shop) but I don't know if that was good luck or judgement!

oh ps zoom or fixed mag. eyepiece?

eventually settled for a kowa 611 with 20-40 eyepiece, stay-on case and a hide clamp all for £300
thanks again all

billy said:
eventually settled for a kowa 611 with 20-40 eyepiece, stay-on case and a hide clamp all for £300
thanks again all
Hope you see lots, that you wouldn't have seen without the new scope.
Enjoy it!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back