• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peterson molt book (1 Viewer)

Ok, there is a lot of text. It is not like the gull book, it is much smaller. To illustrate Nuthatches, for example, there is one picture. Bigger birds they put in more detail. Get the cheapest price, if molt is your thing.

Last edited:
I just finished my review of Molt in North American Birds. Loved it. As you would imagine, it will be a great resource to learn about molt. It's worth it just for that (perhaps even for birders outside the US and Canada, the region it focuses on). But I was surprised at how interesting and readable it was. Honestly, I was expecting it to be a little tedious and, dare I say it, boring. But there are so many fascinating details in each of the family accounts, I found myself wanting to keep reading more. Highly recommended to non-beginning birders, especially those in North America.

........ As you would imagine, it will be a great resource to learn about molt. It's worth it just for that (perhaps even for birders outside the US and Canada, the region it focuses on). But I was surprised at how interesting and readable it was. ..........I found myself wanting to keep reading more. Highly recommended to non-beginning birders, especially those in North America.

Thank you Grant, for your fine review, and also special thanks to Tero for bringing the Amazon page into the forum. That page has the most extensive "Look Inside" feature I have ever seen. And the combination of the review plus the "Look Inside" pages should convince everybody interested in birds to get this book. It must be by far the most fascinating treatment of the topic. Definitely not restricted to North American birders.

Yes there is the normal first year first winter etc.
Then there is the more scientific one with "alternate" this and that and it gives no idea of the time sequence.

OK they are called
Hamphrey-Parkes

and Life Year, still used in most field guides.

Last edited:
The problem with life-year for plumage description is that late first year and early second year birds looks identical while early second year and late second year birds probably looks nothing alike, at least if you are thinking of large birds such as gulls.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back