• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need ID help on this little fellow along Lake Harris, Lake County, FL (1 Viewer)

Arrow

Hi Guys,

I photographed this little fellow in the reeds along the shoreline at Lake Harris in Lake County, Florida this week. I just can't quite make him out. He seems to have yellow on his breast. My first thought was that he was a Mockingbird but the yellow threw me.

All of my birding books are in storage right now so I'm poking around in the dark with a lot of IDs on the new birds I'm seeing here. I never saw this fellow at my feeders in Western Pennsylvania so any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

Arrow ;)

Attachments

• 100_0405E.jpg
    100_0405E.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 241
Wow...I was way off on this one. I didn't even consider a Yellow-rumped Warbler. Thanks!

I think it was his location next to the water that threw me.

Arrow

This is another bird you see more often in the winter down south and at the feeders. Up north, after migration, they disperse and food sources are different. You have to go out and find them.
Sounds like you are having a good time there!
Soon you will even get used to the sounds and songs that they make.

birdpotter said:
This is another bird you see more often in the winter down south and at the feeders. Up north, after migration, they disperse and food sources are different. You have to go out and find them.
Sounds like you are having a good time there!
Soon you will even get used to the sounds and songs that they make.

Yes! I'm having a great time. I'm taking a daily trek that is 3.5 miles long through the Florida jungle and it is 100% different from the Appalachian Mountains. I'm now hiking the marshes and along the shore whereas before I had only the suburban birds near town.

For the past ten years I tracked what came to my three feeders up north and only had 32 species come. If I went to the park, I saw others, but I was mainly interested in what came into my yard at the feeder.

Here in Florida, I am seeing that many different species in a week! Being near the lake, of course, helps immensely. That fact that it is cold up north and the birds came here helped too.

I'm gradually learning the new songs and putting them with the birds. It's a lot of fun. Now if I don't get eaten by an alligator I'll have the time of my life!

Arrow ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back