• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How accurate is Allbinos.com ranking (1 Viewer)

I know but who wants to deal with that if you can just get the right ones the first time

So you actually trust other peoples opinions. ;)

Start by believing that the ranking is right (for you that is). Order #1, and if it's not the best, send them back and order #2 on the list... and so on until you find the one or get infuriated and go to a binoshop and try some out.

An other way is to just get one pair, stop reading this forum and be happy with it...:h?:

Last edited:
Taz - I recently sent in to Eagle Optics an 8x42 binocular which was supposed to be water proof. Somehow, a bit of moisture got under one ocular. These are at least 15 years old and used daily. They were returned promptly with the moisture ring removed and completely gone through. MY total cost was just the shipping to them. Now that is a guarantee that is real! Best I have ever had.

John

The reviews are very good for giving you all the important specifications. What they can't tell you, unfortunately, is if a binocular will suit your face and eyes and if it will feel right for you when you handle it. The only way to do that is to hold them and try them for yourself.

Ron

I know but who wants to deal with that if you can just get the right ones the first time

Do your best online research and then hope for the best and be willing to send a pair or three back. Where I live going to personally see binoculars is not easy. I would never have seen and now happily own my two pair of Zen EDs. I've sent three pair of various binoculars back and while it cost me about $60 to do so was a small price to pay IMO. I now own quite a few pair of very good binoculars. And the on line deals more than made up for the $60 I spent on return postage. It's hard to get those kinds of deals at store fronts.

Getting the right ones the first time is usually dumb luck. You can seperate out one or two from a selection, but you have to have them and use them for some time to really know.

Reviews here, or other forum sites, or places like allbinos are reference points only. You never can tell how two different sets of eyes will react to the same binocular.

If you can't look at a lot, places like Eagle Optics are very good. They expect a lot of try before you buy and that they will get some returns. Buy a couple and keep the one you like. Send the other one back. Another thing with Eagle Optics is that the people you talk to over the phone actually know something about the binoculars they sell.

Last edited:
Getting the right ones the first time is usually dumb luck. You can seperate out one or two from a selection, but you have to have them and use them for some time to really know.

I went thru a similar exercize a year ago trying to find a mid-size bin. After a Bushnell Excursion, Nikon Extreme, Leupold Yosemeti, Zen Ray EDII, and a Vortex, I stayed with a Leupold 8x32 non-HD Gold Ring. Best of the bunch in my opinion.

Also, if you go to that allbinos link and change the 10x42 in the browser, you can get results of 8x42 and 8x32 as well.

Last edited:
How accurate is the reviews listed here and is it good enough to use to base a buying decesion on with out first trying out the binoculars?

http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

what does not belong in th top 15 slots if any and what should be there that they missed.

Very Accurate.I like Allbinos reviews and Holger Merlitz reviews the best. At the bottom is a link to Holger's review of 8x32's. Just remember Allbinos haven't tested every brand or model of binocular available. For example, if they had tested the Nikon 8x32 EDG it would be number one in the 8x32 category instead of the Zeiss FL. Be careful about some rankings though. The Leupold Gold Ring HD is second in the 8x32 category and it does have good optics but it is a brick to carry and consequently you can buy them for about $400.00 on E-bay and they have been discontinued. That's just my opinion of course.

http://translate.google.com/transla...w.holgermerlitz.de/8x32/test8x32.html&act=url

Last edited:
tazzilla,

I think the second part of your question has been answered, whenever possible, "Try before you Buy". Living in a cultural oasis surrounded by hundreds of miles of farms, game lands and mountain ridges, I have to travel quite a distance to try before I buy, so I've depended on the kindness of strangers, who later became friends, for allowing me to try some bins I was interested in. I have also traveled some distances to try others, but I agree you can't beat EO if you have a "plastic" and a good line of credit.

As to the first part of your question, the accuracy of allbino's reviews, that's been touched upon, but I think some elaboration is in order especially after Dennis' carte blanche endorsement.

You will find birders on these forums which range from staunch skeptics such as Henry to devotees like Dennis (who I think just ordered a Rosetta Stone course in Polish so he won't have to rely on Broken English translations :).

Dennis - Better hold off on your Rosetta order in case allbinos doesn't rank the 8x32 EDG #1. :)

I like the fact that the allbinos boyz at least sticks their neck out and evaluate and even try to quantify various parameters of binoculars. Although I like reading Wayne Mones' reviews (Audubon Magazine, BVD), you'll never see that kind of "data" in his reviews or in most other reviews.

However, some experts question allbinos' methodology. Experts always think that their methodology is better than the next guy's, so nothing surprising there.

I concede that sometimes "the numbers don't add up" with allbinos' light transmission figures.

But on the whole the reviews at least give you something to go on rather than a slanted ad. Where reviewers of all kinds differ is in how they weigh the results.

For example, allbinos does not like distortion even though some pincushion can be a good thing for terrestrial observation. The lower the distortion, the higher the ranking in that category even though you may see disorienting "rolling ball" in bins w/ very low distortion levels.

So it requires some experience and self-knowledge to read reviews like allbinos and figure out how you might rank the same category based on your preference.

I don't know about the top 15 slots, but you probably can't go wrong with starting at the top 5 if your credit line is big enough. Sometimes a non-alpha will show up in the top 5 such as the now-discontinued Leupold GR.

My advice is that you don't put all your eggs in one allbino basket (except at Easter :). Check the review section of Bird Forum, do a search for the bins on Bird Forum (some of the best reviews on not in the review section but on threads about the bins), check out other sites where there are reviews such as Better View Desired, Optics4Birding, binomania, etc.

I think you will see certain compliments and peeves turn up again and again, and that will give you a clue as to which bins to try.

But don't be surprised if when you get that rave reviewed bin, it doesn't work for you, because of some quirk either in the bin or in you.

This happened with me with the original 820 Audubon. The eyecups were so huge that I couldn't get the bridge of my nose in between the eyecups so I couldn't see the entire FOV (not close). Nobody mentioned this in any review I read! Nobody also mentioned the "rolling ball effect" in any review I read about the Nikon LX/HGs.

So if you hit the jackpot on the first try, consider yourself lucky. Unless you can get to the store and "try on" different binoculars and see "what fits" both physically and aesthetically, it can be a shot in the dark even at the top level.

But if you're Joe Average, who isn't sensitive to chromatic aberration or "rolling ball" or excessive pincushion or fuzzy edges and you have the facial features of a bulldog, well reviewed bins might turn out to be just as favorable to you.

Me, I want to see a "Durante Seal of Approval" added to the ISO standards so I know there's enough nose room for me and Frank. :)

Brock

Last edited:
I agree with those who posted.

The aggregate of most reputable reviews will prevent a purchaser from making a blunder and will point the buyer to a binocular they won’t regret. But that is not a substitute for actually using a binocular in the field which factors in the subjective eye/brain connection which is a personal choice.

I find the reviews are an aid in narrowing down the picks I will want to physically eyeball and see if I like them. For instance. I did not prefer the heavier weight of the Swarovski open bridge and color, or the Zeiss FL rubber ribs on the body. So I own the color neutral Leica HD (it is very light compact, waterproof, extremely rugged, and color neutral with a spectacular image). I was happy to have the option to pay more money for a binocular that used no grease and would focus with the same one finger effort in subzero Fahrenheit weather as in warm weather. Your taste may differ.

Some buyers will prefer a binocular with a leaning towards blue others will prefer a binocular that presents eye popping green. Still others will want complete color neutrality. The same for feel in the hands, weight, chromatic aberration, filed of view, focus speed, diopter control, case preference, warranty, etc.

I equate this to looking at color TVs I may prefer a small number more than the rest. The small number are all acceptable top choices. But I just prefer one.

For me it is most cost effective to purchase the several bins I am considering from one vendor and tell the retailer at purchase time – “I am keeping one pair but will return the rest in perfect condition”. An alternative is to go to a popular birding spot and ask to compare other birders bins. They will recognize your quest and want to help you.

This is a perfect time of year to put your bins to the test here on the east coast (the sun is at a low angle at about 11am DST and causes difficult viewing when looking in the direction of the sun). Add water (pond, lake etc.) for lots of annoying sun reflections that obliterate the color of a duck. Show me color on a back lit subject and I am happy!

Friday at a distance of 175 yards looking into the sun, I could "make out" the cream colored rump, body color, and head color of a Green Winged Teal (but I could not see the green on the head due to the conditions described above). My friend on the walk could not see any color. He was looking at a back lit grey duck while I was able to ID the bird based on what I had seen. In my opinion I got what I paid for.

Consider trying your choices under multiple field conditions and select the bins that agree with you preferences. The money you spend on returns will be far cheaper than one bad purchase and you will enjoy your own supporting field reports and sleep better.

Or you can just buy what somone else prefers and wonder...

Last edited:
Tazz:

I do think the AllBinos reviews seem accurate on the 10x42's. The top 15 has all of the
top prospects, and so then it is up to you and your budget. Note: Nikon and Swaro.
have 6 of the top eight. I have experience with some of these, and like most advice here,
it is up to your personal preference, and your budget.

Jerry

In terms of care and thoroughness the AllBinos site seems to be one of the best. However, particularly at the lower end of the market, there is inevitably some degree of variation between examples of the same instrument. Hence a review based on a single example (as is usually the case) is inherently open to risk; you may either be disappointed or miss out on a real bargain. Thus, it's probably wise to look at as many reviews as you can find - if they tell a consistent story then your decision will be more likely to be the right one. I also suspect that the higher profile of the brand name, the more attention will be paid to quality control,

Me, I want to see a "Durante Seal of Approval" added to the ISO standards so I know there's enough nose room for me and Frank. :)

Brock

How did I just know that my name was going to end up somewhere in your post Brock?

;)

Taz,

I agree with all of the above. There certainly are models in their ranking that are sure to please "objectively". In other words they offer the best compromises for the most people. Subjectively you can't tell because there are many individual variables that are unique to you specifically.

Plus, though they have handled and reviewed many bins...and many of the top bins at that....they haven't reviewed all of them so therefore you may be missing out on one or two models that you may prefer over the others.

...and although Brock lightly touched on the issue I didn't see you mention it. What price range are you looking at? Is price an issue at all with you? If it isn't then consider the "Big Four" and don't worry about little issues that seem to plague various users of these models.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back