• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Older Meostar 10x42 (non HD) (1 Viewer)

JBS

I am looking at some "new" binoculars that will be used mainly for birding and generally wildlife viewing. They will primarily be used in Calif where we have birds and large wildlife like bears, deer and even the ever elusive mountain lion. I am not a bino hound but am trying to find good quality set yet something that if lost (or stolen) will not completely ruin my day.

I can get a pair of about 8 yr old ones for $350. This seems like a pretty good choice but simply seek advice from other who know much more than I do. I understand the newer HD versions are certainly better.

TIA for any advice.

If the binocular is mechanically and optically in good shape and you are not prepared to spent a lot of money, 350 dollars seem to me a good price for a 10x43 Meopta.
Gijs van Ginkel

I
TIA for any advice.

1. Please don't hunt unless it is to feed you or your family.

2. I agree that the older Meopta binos are solidly built and will offer a rugged optic with a good image. Check it over for coating scratches, collimation and a smooth focusing action throughout.

Thanks, P

Thx guys.

P, I did mention hunting in my prior post but saw that is not well received here which I understand. I doubt I will ever use them for that as I have only been big game hunting once and that was 20 years ago. I of course ate and used most everything when I went. I really enjoy just watching wildlife for hours when I get lucky enough to be in that situation. Few things in life are as enjoyable as the peacefulness and satisfaction of watching wildlife in their natural environment and habits.

Gracias

No, just joining in the debate and expressing my thoughts as a member, ta. I try to be a kind and thoughtful chap. You forgot the question mark at the end Andy, if indeed it was a question.

Regards, Pat

JBS,

I have a 7X42 and 8X42 Meostar, both from 2012 and they are a good glass. I would stay away from the earlier versions, ~2005 or so. (check some historical threads - there was good specific info as to what years they improved), as they will have a distinct yellow tint. Mine from 2012 have no such yellow tint, just slightly less light transmission than the 2015-2018 models.

Andy W.

Since 2016 my wife has her third 7x42 Meostar. The first two were replaced under guarantee due to minor defects, i.e. the 2005 purchased example due to split armouring and the ca. 2012 example due to condensation in the right barrel. Over the years Meopta have made continuous minor optical (multicoating) and mechanical improvements.

One thing to consider though, is that the 10x42 is not really suitable for glasses wearers. I suspect that Meopta scaled the eyepiece design for the different versions and one can see that the size of the eye lens diminishes with increasing magnification, as does the eye relief from 22 mm (almost excessive) on the 7x to a mere 15 mm on the 10x.

John

John,

I know what you mean about the 7X42 Meostar, I wish the eye-cups extended a bit longer, I do not wear glasses.

Andy W.

A late followup on my part. I got these used ones and given my budget am super happy. I appreciate the advice here and wanted to say thanks and not just ghost. Of course now I am envious of the newer HD versions but must resist!

JBS,

Enjoy the glass and the views, it is a very good one, and for a very good price...spending $600 more than you did for an HD will not be worth it.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back