• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anthracothorax prevostii hendersoni (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

No doubt Anthracothorax prevostii hendersoni was dedicated to...

Robert Henderson (fl. 1886) collector in the West Indies (subsp. Anthracothorax prevostii).

...as mentioned in they key. We can find evidence in A List of the Birds Taken by Mr. Robert Henderson, in the Islands of Old Providence and St Andrews, Caribbean Sea, during the Winter of 1886-87 (article before we find reprint of OD as this article was printed separately before so I haven't seen the real OD).

Has anyone here in the community any idea who Robert Henderson was?

Has anyone here in the community any idea who Robert Henderson was?
I have no idea, Martin, nor any additional info on this "Robert Henderson" ...

I guess he´s not to confuse with the Irish/Scottish "Robert Henderson (1864-1940), by profession foreign correspondent to an engineering firm" (here), collector (of insects, Diptera) ... ? A bit young (only 15) in 1879, that is, of course, if we´re certain that we´re talking of the same guy, as Mark's "R. Henderson", collecting for the Field Museum, in the Bahamas, in 1879 and in Arizona, in 1887 ... ? The name Henderson isn´t uncommon. In 1886/87 he would have been 22/23, still young, but fully possible.

In any case not to confuse with today's herpetologist "Robert Henderson ( Milwaukee Public Museum, Wisconsin, U.S.A.)", nor with the sculptor by the same name, or with his namesake who (together with David Luneau) "rediscovered" the Ivory-billed Woodpecker in April 2004 ... and so on. There seems to be quite a few Mr. Henderson out there!

Good luck finding Robert! Looks like a tricky guy to find ...

Found in The Nation Vol. 44 - p. 378 1887

Mr. Robert Henderson, who is employed by the Smithsonian Institution, arrived at Philadelphia April 28 with a large collection of tropical birds which he had made in the West Indies.

Similar notes in Science 9 (1887), here:
— The Smithsonian institution has just received a large collection of birds collected by Mr. Robert Henderson in the West India islands. Mr. Henderson, who has just returned from his trip, has been engaged in this work since last December, and has covered all of the islands except Ruatan, Turneff, and Cosomel in the lower part of the Caribbean Sea. He will make a second trip this summer to the above islands.
If of any help?

Last edited:
I couldn´t keep my fingers away from this one ...

And, Mark, I think you were perfectly correct in your post #2 (sorry for the doubt, in #3), it is, it must be, the same guy! It just took me a while to figure out where you found those two photos/links! ;) ... this said even if I couldn´t find any bird collected "1879 in Bahamas". Where did you find that info?

However; the Type itself for Anthracothorax prevostii hendersoni was collected by "R. Henderson", 15 March 1887, on Old Providence, in the West Indies (here). Another 15(!) specimens, of the same subspecies; was also collected, by the same "R. Henderson"; during March 1887 (here).

This "R. Henderson" as well collected (for examples); five specimens of Spotted Sandpiper Actitis macularia, on St Andrews and Old Providence in the West Indies, "12/02/1887" resp. "8/03/1887", "18/03/1887", "15/03/1887" and "05/03/1887". As well as many, many other birds ... the List goes on and on ... One single specimen sticks out; the odd Butorides striatus virescens which is claimed to have been collected on "Old Providence", West Indies, by the same "R. Henderson, but two years later: "15/03/1889" [sic] ... however I fear the latter could to be a typo, as there are three specimens of the same subspecies collected on St. Andrews, in February 1887. Also compare with the two specimens of Coccyzus minor abbotti collected 14 February 1887, on the same St Andrews, West Indies, versus eight of the same, on Old Providence, in March 1887.

Two other Types was collected by the same "R. Henderson"; Coereba flaveola oblita (here), and Icterus leucopteryx lawrencii (here), both collected on the same St Andrews, on the 16th resp. 8th of February 1887. And if we check the OD's for the former (here, p.7) we find a clear reference back to Cory's original Paper/s from 1889 (which also included lawrenceii), where he was mentioned as "Mr. Robert Henderson". It´s him all right.

After that Mr. Henderson apparently went to Arizona, as one specimen of Swainson's Hawk Buteo swainsoni and one of the Red-tailed Hawk subspecies Buteo jamaicensis calurus, both were collected there, in Arizona, USA, on the 24th of May 1887, (at/in connection to: "Santa Cruz Co: Calabasas" ... ?), both with the same signature: "R. Henderson". Also two specimens of Costa's Hummingbird Calypte costae collected at the same location, in late May 1887". The only worry (!) for Robert Henderson truly visiting Arizona is the specimen of Asturina nitida plagiata, collected at the same place ... by "H. Henderson"!? Or maybe this is simply yet another typo?

Either way; the latest one, claimed to have been collected, by "R. Henderson", is from the 30th of May, 1887? After that he´s gone! Vanished into thin air.

All of the above mentioned bird, and many more, are still today kept in the Field Museum (of Naural History), in Chicago, USA. Why, and how, they all ended up there, and not in the collections of the Smithsonan (as would be expected, by the earlier quotes, in post #4 and #5) is unknown to me. Also if either Museum have any additional info on Mr. Henderson?

In any case I haven´t found anything of it.

Good luck finding him in full!

Björn

PS. However; I think we can forget that certain "Robert Henderson, (1864-1940)", mentioned by me in Post #3. He seems to have been more of a local (Irish-born) Scottish Naturalist. His Obituary is found here, with nothing linking him neither to Birds nor as in having visited any of the earlier mentioned Islands, in the "West Indies" (but he did visit Cuba, "in the course of his work"). Either way; no connections found neither to Charles B. Cory not to any US Museums/institutions ...
--

Last edited:
As his life dates still not solved The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims
Henderson's Mango Anthracothorax prevostii hendersoni Cory, 1887 [Alt. Green-breasted Mango ssp.]
Robert Henderson (DNF) collected birds on the Caribbean islands of Old Providence and St Andrews for a winter (1886– 1887), but we know nothing more about him.

The Key to Scientific Names
Robert B. Henderson (fl. 1886) US collector in the West Indies (subsp. Anthracothorax prevostii).

Anthracothorax prevostii hendersoni (Cory, 1887) OD here

The Robert is as well somehow confirmed by the title A List of the Birds Taken by Mr. Robert Henderson, in the Islands of Old Providence and St Andrews, Caribbean Sea, during the Winter of 1886-87.

A search of records of Henderson's traveling in and out of the US in the 1880s gives us just one suspect:

Robert Henderson (9 April 1860 – 13 April 1918). Born Brooklyn, NY, Died Trinidad.

Long time businessman in Ciudad Bolivar Venezuela where his two sons were born in 1889 and 1890 and a daughter in 1899. He was the US consul in Ciudad Bolivar for 18 years from 1893 and was later vice-consul in Port of Spain was president of the Orinoco Steamship Company and was a partner in a banking & plantation firm (Dalton & Co) with interests throughout the southern Caribbean.

Last edited:
I am still curious why a B. as middle name in BOW key?
Martin, I guess you could blame Alexander Wetmore (see post #6, or #7), though note that Charles B. Cory called him nothing but "Mr Robert Henderson" (without any middle "B.") in the Paper Wetmore was referring to (i.e. the same paper as in your latter link in post #9).

Maybe just a mix-up, by Wetmore ... who knows? :unsure:

Today's Key:
hendersoni / hendersonii
Robert B. Henderson (1860-1918) US businessman in Venezuela and Trinidad, US Consul to Ciudad Bolivar 1893-1911, collector (Paul Scofield in litt.) (subsp. Anthracothorax prevostii).
[...]

I assume Paul (Scofield) might have the answer.

We'll see ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back