• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CP 885 v 990 (1 Viewer)

papasula

Hi,

Anyone give me a rundown on the differences (from a birding/dragonfly/butterfly standpoint) between the CoolPix 990 and the 885? I am in the market for a new camera and have seen the 885 consistently ~$100 cheaper than the 990 with most of the same specs. Plus it is lighter! I have seen a few images that were less than stellar from the CP880. I will be using it through a Leica Televid APO with a 20-60X (if it makes a difference).

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Hi Steve

Out of the two cameras I would say that the CP990 is the one to go for.On the 990 you get a rotating screen which is useful when trying to view a subject at acute angles,plus a 28mm adapter will screw straight on as all the zooming on this camera is done internally.If you need any further encouragement then try www.digiscoped.com (Andy Bright`s site) or do a search for Laurence Poh,both have used the 990 with excellent results.

Regards Steve.

Hi Steve

I know the 990 is very popular for digiscoping. I can, however, vouch for the 885 as being able to achieve some decent results. If you look at my website;

http://www.leighjauncey.ukonline.co.uk

click on the 'British Birds' button and then follow the 'digiscoping' links or just look at the 'Sandpipers & Snipe' gallery you'll see some of the results. I use an Opticron 'scope, very much 'middle of the range' - I'm sure a Leica could produce better.

Leigh

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back