• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Lanyard Lengths (1 Viewer)

Chris Galvin

I'd be interested to find out how folks wear their binoculars.

• Do you wear them on a short lanyard, high on your chest
  • Do you wear them on a medium lanyard, bottom of rib cage?
  • Do you wear them with a long lanyard, below rib cage
  • Do you wear a Harness

Thanks

Last edited:
I prefer short, high on the chest. Less strain on the neck that way, IMHO. I've tried a bino-harness, but don't like it. I prefer to be able to remove my binos quickly, to hold in the hand (i.e. with the lanyard off the neck) sometimes.

Thanks Sancho. I'm trying to get as many responses as possible on this pretty unscientific survey but think that the results will be interesting see

Chris Galvin
Opticron

Last edited:
High on my chest for me but still long enough to get the bins up to my eyes easily. I find the short strap helps to prevent the binoculars from swaying from side to side as I walk, which can be very annoying.

Ron

Like Sancho - short and high on the chest. Not sure if it's true but I do seem to be able to get them up to my eyes quicker than if they were lower. No harness - not sure I really see the point of such a thing!

David

High on my chest for me but still long enough to get the bins up to my eyes easily. I find the short strap helps to prevent the binoculars from swaying from side to side as I walk, which can be very annoying.

Ron

Same here. Also I really dislike the wide fabric padded binocular straps so popular today. I find them hot, scratchy and generally uncomfortable. For me the old style thin leather strap is the most comfortable.

Short and high on the chest. That's the way I was taught to wear them in the Navy, so that they could be brought up to the eyes quickly. I also think this method is more comfortable, especially with heavy optics.

Martin

I see all the posts so far have been from men. It would be interesting to get a female perspective on this too, where there are additional considerations to be taken in to account. ;)

Ron

I wear my bins "bandolier" style across the chest with the bins either resting on my hip or pulled around on my back. This requires a long strap. I find that this style of carry puts no strain on the neck and keeps the bins out of the way as I'm walking or using my scope. I learned this carry style from Pete Dunne at the Cape May Bird Observatory several years ago and have used it ever since.
Tom

Compact reverse porro's.
Small loop attached to each of the eyecups.
Long thin strap attached to the loops.

Allows me:

to wear the bins bandoleer style.
Or quickly adjusted: high - medium - low around the neck (depending on no coat - summer coat - winter coat with scarf.

Small loops can be adjusted in seconds to be able to wear the bins upside-down, and use them under the bill of a cap in the rain, focusing with thumb, no drops on my glasses.

Bandoleer style mostly used to hang the bins out of the way, around - the - neck -style for quick access.

No harness.

Best regards,

Ronald

I wear my bins "bandolier" style across the chest with the bins either resting on my hip or pulled around on my back. This requires a long strap. I find that this style of carry puts no strain on the neck and keeps the bins out of the way as I'm walking or using my scope. I learned this carry style from Pete Dunne at the Cape May Bird Observatory several years ago and have used it ever since.
Tom

Me too! In fact, Pete sold me my FL's down at Northwoods CMBO.

(but...I've been giving the harness a go and I kind of like it too.)

John

Swarovski 7X42 SLC (heavy) on body harness and Zeiss 7X42 Victory FL (light) 'bandolier' to ease stress on neck and keep out of way.

Comfort round the neck is more important for me. Recently got some DBA's (great) and comes with the a great strap. As good as the strap is, it's not a patch on the Zeiss strap I bought a couple of years back so soon afterwards I fit my old strap on - heaven. The Zeiss strap is a long one and I would like the option to shorten it, but there you go.

If you are looking to produce something of a similar quality I would happily review it.;)

http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/p-40204-jacobs-digital-zeiss-air-cell-strap.aspx

Relatively short and high to allow it to be tucked into clothing for protection, but still easily accessed, when crawling through ditches and thick undergrowth as well as reasons given above.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back