• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to Digiscoping and need assistance (1 Viewer)

Mr. Birder

I hope someone here can be of assistance. About 4 years ago we purchased a Swarovski AT80HD spotting scope with a 20x-40x-60x eyepiece. It has been absolutely fabulous for us and we couldn't think of parting with this package. We want to begin digiscoping but we are at a loss as to the camera and adapter we need to put everything together. We're retired now and don't want to get the top of the line digital camera but a good, reliable one and an adapter for the scope is what we need. I've read so many articles and have completely confused myself over the different AT vs ATS adapters, cameras, et al. We could use some simplified information. What type of adapter will work with our eyepiece and then what brand/model of digital camera should we be looking for? Thanks.

I think I would reverse your selection methodology. Choose the camera first (lots of information in this and other forums) and then work out which adaptors are required.

Finally, if possible, see if you can arrange to "test drive" the chosen set-up before handing over the cash.

Recurvirostra said:
I think I would reverse your selection methodology. Choose the camera first (lots of information in this and other forums) and then work out which adaptors are required.

Finally, if possible, see if you can arrange to "test drive" the chosen set-up before handing over the cash.

I'm afraid reversing the process is out of the question. Our primary interest 4 years ago was in having a spotting scope for our birding. Now we'd like to be able to photograph some of what we see so the camera must come second.

Mr. Birder said:
I'm afraid reversing the process is out of the question. Our primary interest 4 years ago was in having a spotting scope for our birding. Now we'd like to be able to photograph some of what we see so the camera must come second.

I pretty much went your route and am satisfied with results. I had purchased a Kowa scope and for the camera went through BF gallery and noted equipment used then settled on the camera. I ended up with not a typical camera but love it.

The adapter is another story, I made my own because I didn't care for what was available but before doing that again I'd recommend looking at the SDA
mount.

Mr. Birder said:

I don't think there was a suggestion to change your scope, the one you have will be excellent for digiscoping. I think that the suggestion was to find the camera that you are happy with before you worry about adapters.

I currently use the Sony s90 with the same scope as you have - the current crop of Sony camera are good for digiscoping - 3x optical zoom, big screen (2.5") and excellent Zeiss lenses.

Thanks postcardcv, you've saved me the trouble of going over it again. What you said is exactly what I meant (and thought I said).

This is what I mean by getting so much conflicting advice. I've been told that since I have the "older" model of Swarovski scope, the AT (not the ATS) that I'll be limited in what adapter to use. I've been advised that there is only one adapter for me to use and even with that I'll still need another piece to make it work. Swarovski makes a DCA that will require me to get another adapter sleeve to make it work with my current eyepiece. Once I have that I need to find a camera to fit. What I'm not getting is if I do as you suggest and get the camera first, and it doesn't mate with the adapter and/or adapter sleeve then I'm stuck with separate pieces, right?

Mr. Birder said:
This is what I mean by getting so much conflicting advice. I've been told that since I have the "older" model of Swarovski scope, the AT (not the ATS) that I'll be limited in what adapter to use. I've been advised that there is only one adapter for me to use and even with that I'll still need another piece to make it work. Swarovski makes a DCA that will require me to get another adapter sleeve to make it work with my current eyepiece. Once I have that I need to find a camera to fit. What I'm not getting is if I do as you suggest and get the camera first, and it doesn't mate with the adapter and/or adapter sleeve then I'm stuck with separate pieces, right?

Mr. birder, I think you need to start over again.
You have an excellent scope, I have the same one, there are many cameras suitable for digiscoping and many adaptors to fit these.

Find a camera you like (a compact with a 3x zoom, aperture priority and manual modes are best for digiscoping) and before you buy it come back to the forum for good advice on adaptors for it.

Regards

john-henry

I have just purchased a Swarovski ATS80HD scope for Xmas and I am looking for a suitable camera with cable release to work with it. My intention was to use this camera with the DCB-A adapter and I too decided on the 20-60 zoom.

Any suggestions for a camera would be appreciated.

I think their are still some Nikon cp4500 available Ace cameras had a few at £299.00 as for adaptors I think London camera exchange at Winchester do their own adaptors or as already mentioned Swarovski do their own.

Steve.

Okay, I asked for expert advice and got it and now I'm following it. We are going with the Nikon D50 with the Nikkor 18-55mm lens with power zoom at 3x. Now I'm looking for the adapter to marry the camera to the scope. I'm looking for someone who would know if the Swarovski DCA + the adapter sleeve will work or should I be looking for a PLAN B, C, D...
Thanks to everyone who responded and helped clear my muddled thought processes.

It was probably not made clear in the preceding posts (we all tend to make assumptions) that the best cameras for digiscoping are compact "point-and-shoot" models. Some people do digiscope with an SLR but with difficulty - and the results are usually not as good as they had hoped.

Unless you particularly want an SLR for other types of photography, I would strongly suggest that you limit your choice of camera to one of the compact models. The list in the link posted by Nigel G should have a model that will suit your needs and budget.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back