• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gambia and Senegal (1 Viewer)

A superb report Mark!!

I'm not trying to nit pick, but your shot of the African Fish Eagle looks like a Palm-nut Vulture to me.

Very enjoyable report Mark.
If you get a chance to go back then Makasutu is well worth a stay -the lodges are very expensive but the meals & accomodation are brilliant & the birding is great without any hassle or bumsters. We got Finfoot, White-backed Night Heron & Martial Eagle amongst others there.
Like Vipers I think the in-flight Fish Eagle image is an adult Palm-Nut Vulture (Vulturine Fish Eagle).

These reports are all very well....but they really give me the wanderlust bug, not that it ever goes away.

Nice one Mark. Reports like this are hard work.

John.

Vipers said:
A superb report Mark!!

I'm not trying to nit pick, but your shot of the African Fish Eagle looks like a Palm-nut Vulture to me.

That is because it is, I uploaded the wrong pic, I have uploaded the correct one now, thanks for spotting it.

Mark

Jules Sykes said:
An excellent report, very informative thanks.

Did you get any flight shots of Ruppell´s Vulture, I am looking for some?.

There is one in the report, if you want a higher res one PM me

Mark

Hi Mark

I'm planning to go to the Gambia next November & will be visiting the Abuko Nature Reserve, as well as taking a birding canoe trip to explore the creeks. Can you please recommend a Gambian Bird Guide (in english!) I'm told I could see upto 200 species of birds, It would be nice to ID at least half a dozen!!

Please PM me if you can recommend one - thanks

Deborah

Just seen the guides at the end of your report so I'll try and get these from somewhere - on-line purchase maybe?

BTW going with the Gambia Experience too - so your report's really interesting

Last edited:
deborah4 said:
Hi Mark

I'm planning to go to the Gambia next November & will be visiting the Abuko Nature Reserve, as well as taking a birding canoe trip to explore the creeks. Can you please recommend a Gambian Bird Guide (in english!) I'm told I could see upto 200 species of birds, It would be nice to ID at least half a dozen!!

Please PM me if you can recommend one - thanks

Deborah

Just seen the guides at the end of your report so I'll try and get these from somewhere - on-line purchase maybe?

BTW going with the Gambia Experience too - so your report's really interesting

I did not go with Gambian Experience I went with Thomas Cook they were a fraction of the price, I booked some Tourist Excursions with Gambia Experience

Steve G said:
Very enjoyable report Mark.
If you get a chance to go back then Makasutu is well worth a stay -the lodges are very expensive but the meals & accomodation are brilliant & the birding is great without any hassle or bumsters. We got Finfoot, White-backed Night Heron & Martial Eagle amongst others there.
Like Vipers I think the in-flight Fish Eagle image is an adult Palm-Nut Vulture (Vulturine Fish Eagle).

Steve

Thanks for your PM. The info you sent on the Gambia Experience and guides etc is very helpful. I tried to reply but your mail box is all full up!!

Thanks again for your help B :)

Deborah

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back