• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fair offer on heavy 7x42 mature bins (1 Viewer)

statestat

Found a pair of new 'neu' Swarovski 7x42 in out-of-the-way shop sitting in glass case waiting to tempt me. Can't evaluate optics inside store no windows, good eye relief and very smooth focus, as new in box. Yes they are heavy but I like them big objectives and appreciate a more mature pair. I have been saving up for Leica 7x42 Ultravid, will power will never last to get me to the new Geovid Perger $ level (I am weak), these are a lot less money. As a display pair I will offer less but what is fair offer. 1390 price tag now, 2005 manufacture date hard to put a price on all the good times they offer, is this a deal or no deal.

Found a pair of new 'neu' Swarovski 7x42 in out-of-the-way shop sitting in glass case waiting to tempt me. Can't evaluate optics inside store no windows, good eye relief and very smooth focus, as new in box. Yes they are heavy but I like them big objectives and appreciate a more mature pair. I have been saving up for Leica 7x42 Ultravid, will power will never last to get me to the new Geovid Perger $ level (I am weak), these are a lot less money. As a display pair I will offer less but what is fair offer. 1390 price tag now, 2005 manufacture date hard to put a price on all the good times they offer, is this a deal or no deal.

Those would be a good find, but I think the price is too high for 8 yr.
old binoculars. If serious, I would think $1,100. would be a fair price
and a good buy.
If the seller has fallen in love with them, then let them sit in the
case. These are not a big seller, and I am thinking they have not had
many considering those, and that's why they are still there.
I don't want to minimize the size selection, as it is perfect for some users.
The SLC Neu is great glass.

Lightly used you can find these for well under 1K, on some of the
sportsmans for sales sites, or auction sites.

Jerry

Thanks for pulling me back

Good advice, the voice of reason can be hard to hear when the price is attainable, the wait continues. Sort of feel sorry for shop owner to get stuck with these, probably why only the big box stores carry high end bins, the saving resumes.

In January 2012 after they were discontinued I bought Eagle Optics's last 7 x 42 SLC neu. I know it was the last one because they told me so. From it's SN it was made in June 2006. It was a Demo. (I heard that 2006 was the last year they were made.)

I paid $1229.00 for it and IMO it was a bargain. I was able to register it with Swarovski as new. They are heavy, as you noted and they are optically excellent. They are bigger but better than the Leica 7 x 42 Trinovid BN I had been using with longer eye relief and better glare control. Additionally the diopter mechanism is very easy to use.

It will be tough to find a new 7 x 42 of this quality and at this price any more.

I even splurged later and bought a 2x extender for it. I found out by experimentation that I can hand hold it in a vertical position with both hands and use it as a 14 x 42 telescope without any trouble.

Bob

Greetings. Few weeks ago I had an opportunity to buy a brand new in box unit for $1200 (not sure of the production year though). It was a wonderful pair, if heavier than either the ultravid or the FL, and perhaps not as bright. I would have bought it at that price if I did not own the 7x42 FL. Good luck.

An after thought: Perhaps I should have also added that had this opportunity been available prior to buying the FL, I would have still acquired the FL. The FL's advantages for a -6 myopic user along with the weight and brightness features are rather difficult to overlook. Still, the Swarovski is a superb alpha -- and am sure that you would be very happy with for many years to come. Again, good luck.

Last edited:
In January 2012 after they were discontinued I bought Eagle Optics's last 7 x 42 SLC neu. I know it was the last one because they told me so. From it's SN it was made in June 2006. It was a Demo. (I heard that 2006 was the last year they were made.)

I paid $1229.00 for it and IMO it was a bargain. I was able to register it with Swarovski as new. They are heavy, as you noted and they are optically excellent. They are bigger but better than the Leica 7 x 42 Trinovid BN I had been using with longer eye relief and better glare control. Additionally the diopter mechanism is very easy to use.

It will be tough to find a new 7 x 42 of this quality and at this price any more.

I even splurged later and bought a 2x extender for it. I found out by experimentation that I can hand hold it in a vertical position with both hands and use it as a 14 x 42 telescope without any trouble.

Bob

I agree with Bob, though I got mine new for 999.99! ;) I had them upgraded with easy to clean lenses so that put the investment to 1174.00 and Swaro through in a new field bag! I don't mind the weight. They are my most used and liked binocular! Bryce...

I agree with Bob, though I got mine new for 999.99! ;) I had them upgraded with easy to clean lenses so that put the investment to 1174.00 and Swaro through in a new field bag! I don't mind the weight. They are my most used and liked binocular! Bryce...

Bryce,

Nice to know that Swarovski is willing to upgrade a discontinued older, but NIB, binocular by giving it easy to clean lenses. The price is certainly right. I take it that it now has water repellent objectives. Is that correct? It must be one of very few 7 x 42 SLC Bs with that feature.

I wonder if they will do that on request for any SLC? For a fee of course!

Bob

? . . but I like them big objectives and appreciate a more mature pair. . . .

Sorry for breaking in, but I can't stand it any longer. By "mature" you just mean "old"' right? If so, a new frontier in political correctness has just been crossed. ;)

Last edited:
Sorry for breaking in, but I can't stand it any longer. By "mature" you just mean "old"' right? If so, a new frontier in political correctness has just been crossed. ;)

Fugl

Old is more or less a quantitative evaluation.

Mature is a qualitative one, bringing in other considerations.

So perhaps what was meant really was mature and not just old.

And maybe he was really drawing a comparison not just with pairs of bins but pairs of something else.........8-P

Lee

Fugl

Old is more or less a quantitative evaluation.

Mature is a qualitative one, bringing in other considerations.

So perhaps what was meant really was mature and not just old.

Of course the words have different meanings, that was my point. Things that grow or become better with time mature: animals, trees, whiskey. But binoculars in a showcase? ;)

1.100 seem to be a lot for a pair of 2005 Habicht. You buy a brand new Habicht 7x42 for € 760,00 / 1.026,40$ incl. tax in the Netherlands. I would make them an offer nothing higher then 760$. If they take it you have a quite nice pair of binoculars. I could know, since I own a 2009 pair. ;-)

Just bought a pair of 'oldish' 7x42B SLC Habicht on ebay to go with my 10x42 ELs. They came with a wrong sized eyecup on the left barrel and whilst it didn't affect performance they looked decidedly odd, the eyelens edge being exposed. On emailing Swaro for advise they've sent me a matching pair of the correct ones by return!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back