• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (56 Viewers)

Please note that as part of the rejuvenation work to be carried out at Amy's marsh we have to have the track strengthened.
This is because heavy digging equipment has to be brought along the East side of the reserve.
The work will start at 8am WEDNESDAY 8TH August & is scheduled to finish on the evening of Friday 10th August.
Work on Amy's marsh will be carried out in Autumn let you know when we get the datesđź‘Ť john
Due to unforseen circumstances the contract work along the East track at the Moors will not be completed by Friday evening but will now be completed on Monday evening 13th August.. However the hide will be open after the work on Friday evening 10th August and open all weekend . It will close again on Monday morning when the work resumes.
:t: john

Forum?

No posts since Thursday! Has the Forum died? Is no one going to UW? What's happening at the mecca?
Someone must have the latest news!|:(||:(||:(|

No posts since Thursday! Has the Forum died? Is no one going to UW? What's happening at the mecca?

I'm on holiday (without wifi)? 8-P

Possible Tree Sparrow calling from the transmitter field yesterday as per Dave J.

Yesterday at the Moors Pool - 3 Green Sandpipers, 2 Common Sandpipers, 9 Curlew, 3 Snipe, Wigeon, 2 Gadwall, 6 Shoveler, 3 Common Tern (+ 2 juveniles), 9 Swift

Very few large gulls of late at the Moors and the Atacama Desert.;)(formerly The Flashes) is virtually birdless.

From the Moors Pool this morning Andy P reports:

20 Lapwing, 4 Snipe, 3 Green Sand, 2 Common Sand, 16 Teal, 6 Shoveler, Gadwall, Wigeon, 2 Common Tern plus 2 juv, Water Rail, Kingfisher, Garden Warbler.

Last edited:
Quite a few Swifts feeding low over the Moors, 1 Sedge Warbler singing, 2 Common Sands feeding left of the hide and a juv Sparrowhawk perched on some fencing for 15 minutes. I wondered why i had the Flashes hide to myself when i looked out of the shutters:eek!: About 100 Lapwing were noted...

That was 1130-1300 yesterday.

Laurie:t:

Searching thru yesterdays photos and i remember photographing a Gull that was noticeably paler on the median coverts and around the head. I know there is a lot of variation with birds starting their juvenile>1w moult. Nobody in the hide picked up so i didn't say anything.

Here are 2 shots.
The bird has monster bill and in flight a dark tail band with sharply contrasting large White fringes.
Juvenile Yellow-legged?

To my shame i overlook hundreds abroad so a lesson learnt:-C

Laurie:t:

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_1980 Aug. 13 12.21.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1980 Aug. 13 12.21.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 78
  • ScreenHunter_1981 Aug. 13 12.25.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1981 Aug. 13 12.25.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 87

Good point Bob
I'll be honest I have not posted as much as in recent times. But that is due to the fact that Twitter is much easier to post when I'm at the reserve I can also add photos instantly. But the forum is brilliant as it allows me to add my memoirs 8-P.
The other thing about writing on the forum in the field is that if my internet signal drops off half way through my forum input all the information is lost...very frustrating when I have written my essay. ;)
So this has now meant that I only add to the forum from home. If it's late then I leave it until the next day which loses the momemtum and I tend to not bother. The other point is that I take most of my photos through my scope and mobile which is harder to download than my camera . The fact that I am babysitting for my my 4 grandkids 3or 4 times a week has also meant I am not going to the reserve as much these days...I will however try and get back into using the forum to inform everyone of the up and coming management work, bird news and anything Upton related. Promise..:t: john

Monday at Moors 3pm - 8pm

With my wife having an operation at Kidderminster hospital I was given the opportunity of sitting in a waiting room for 6 hours or sitting in the East hide
.. No brainer really;)
The East path has now been completed and looks brilliant.
Considering that the Flashes are dry and consequently very few people visiting them, I was surprised that there were only two other people on site...and yes this is now peak migration time.:eek!:
A few more people appeared over the period of my stay mostly grandparents and children and a new member Russell good to meet you:t:
The large gulls were regularly arriving in good numbers and settling on the water for good periods. Unfortunately the moderate NW wind meant that they were all facing into it making it difficult to check them thoroughly enough for Yellow legged gulls. When the wind dropped the sun became an obstacle but I did manage to find a juvenile YLG. The birds fly off to the NW and land probably half a mile away ..I'm not sure exactly where and what they are feeding on but occasionally some fields are cut for 'turf' so maybe this is the case. Might be worth closer inspection.
Amongst the large gulls were also plenty of BHG but no Meds as yet.
There is a definite influx of coot and duck and geese numbers are also on the rise. At one point all the waterfowl scurried into the southern section of the Pool indicative of otter presence but now sign of it.
As the day progressed more waders appeared, mostly feeding in the shallows of the scrape and promontory. Nothing unexpected but with ideal conditions in the Lagoon, SW marsh and the scrape I would expect something unusual to appear in the next few weeks.
It is apparent that little grebes are having a good breeding season with a new brood of 3 off shore in the NE corner. Other large chicks/juvs were spead around the pool and 2 in the Broadmeadow pool.
It was good to see the GCG chick doing well and along with the little grebes catching plenty of small fish.
It was great to see the common tern juvs flying around but it is disappointing that only one pair has bred this year. Not sure why but other sites have seen a decline but others an increase|>|
Unusually but not unknown for the time of year a new pair of common tern seem to be setting up territory on the juvs raft and attacked both juvs quite violently prior to 'scraping'.
With so many flying insects over the Pool it wasn't surprising to see good numbers of hirundines and a few swift which have now mostly moved on.
Passerines were less than conspicuous but could be detected if you listen out for their contact calls. There are still a lot of 'acros' (reed and sedge warblers) foraging along the waters edge of the reeds.
All in all there were a lot of birds on site but strangely no little egrets :-C . But I do think we will get something decent soon but we need a bit more coverage... still another chance of a spotted crake with so much good habitat available. Although the Flashes probably won't be available for waders don't give up and check the Lagoon from the west hide where it can be seen to the right of the sand Martin box.

Species count MOORS:
GCG 3 (1 JUV). Little grebe 22 (7 juvs 3 new chicks).
Cormorant 2. Mute swan 3. Greylag 12. Canada geese 120. Mallard 120. Gadwall 4(1 juv). Teal 12+. Shoveler 8. Wigeon . Tufted its hard to quantify as chicks are scattered and some are independent but at least 10 broods. Coot min of 150. Water rail North Moors.
Snipe 5. Green sand 4. Common sand 2. Lapwing 45-50.
Common Tern 6(2 juvs).
BHG 600+. Large gulls 400+ ( 320 LBBG 80+ Herring). Yellow Legged Gull juv
Grey heron 7.
Buzzard, sparrowhawk male.
Stock dove 6. Green woodp.
Swift 4. House Martin 60. Sand Martin 10. Swallow 12.
Pied wag.
Reed warbler 10. Sedge warbler. Chiffchaff 3. Blackcap.
Reed Bunting.

North Moors: GCG. Teal 4. Water rail.
Reed warbler several.

Last edited:
From the Moors Pool this morning Andy P reports:

3 Kingfisher, 2 Little Egret, Little Ringed Plover juvenile, 28 Lapwing, 3 Green Sandpiper, 2 Snipe, 4 Common Tern including 2 juveniles, 22 Teal, 6 Shoveler, 2 Gadwall, Wigeon, 2 Water Rail.

A few more people appeared over the period of my stay mostly grandparents and children and a new member Russell good to meet you:t:

:t: Great to meet you too John, I'm looking forward to possibly having more of an input with updates on here once I have purchased some good bins and have a keener eye for identification!!

See you soon,

Regards,

Russ

Dave J's WeBS count on Sunday was as follows:

Canada Goose 146, Common Sand 2, Coot 130, Cormorant 5, Curlew 9, Gadwall 2, Great Crested Grebe 9, Green Sandpiper 3, Grey Heron 1, Greylag Goose 23, Kingfisher 2, Lapwing 139, Little Grebe 12, Mallard 360, Moorhen 20+, Mute Swan 5, Shoveler 6, Snipe 3, Teal 14, Tufted Duck 35, Water Rail 2+, Wigeon 1, BH Gull 230, Herring Gull 3, LBB Gull 10+, Common Tern 3

:t: Great to meet you too John, I'm looking forward to possibly having more of an input with updates on here once I have purchased some good bins and have a keener eye for identification!!

See you soon,

Regards,

Russ
Spoke to Paul M after you left...he sends his regards.
:t:B :) john

At the Moors Pool this morning Des and Roy Porter report:

Wigeon, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Snipe, 2 Common Tern + 2 juveniles, 200 large gulls to be sifted through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back