• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (7 Viewers)

c35 Waxwing flying over Harraton (Washington) this morning.
4 in tree (not feeding) at Donwell (Washington) in the afternoon near a pink berry laden Rowan Tree
Checked Concorde (Washington)this morning-no Waxwing,and no sign that they had been feeding on their favourite Cotoneaster tree. However, checked again in the afternoon, and the tree had loads of fallen berries underneath it (no fallen berries were their in the morning), a sure sign that they had been their. A car was parked next to the tree-which may explain lack of birds.
No sign of any birds at the Galleries-and no sign any had been feeding on the Cotoneasters.
Alfie

Haven't done much birding lately but I had to pop along to see the latest special visitor.
Probably years before I get another chance to get such close views of one of these so I grabbed a few shots like everyone else;).

Attachments

• Bee-eater 1.jpg
    Bee-eater 1.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Bee-eater 5.jpg
    Bee-eater 5.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Bee-eater 7.jpg
    Bee-eater 7.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Bee-eater 3.jpg
    Bee-eater 3.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 106
A few more of the Bee Eater, from today. Good to see Glen and a few others :t:.

Attachments

• Bee Eater_MG_1662.jpg
    Bee Eater_MG_1662.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 168
  • Bee Eater_MG_2272.jpg
    Bee Eater_MG_2272.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Bee Eater_MG_2306.jpg
    Bee Eater_MG_2306.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Bee Eater_MG_2339.jpg
    Bee Eater_MG_2339.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Bee Eater_MG_3461.jpg
    Bee Eater_MG_3461.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 126
Last time I spotted a Red Kite it was an untagged juvenile, this time it's an adult bird and tagged. A very distant sighting (barely spotted it tbh) and apologies in advance for the photo quality, this is a 200% crop from a 400mm telephoto, so you get some idea of the distance. This one was hunting near Blanchland and was moving away from me when I spotted it. Anyway, the tags appear to be right wing white tag; left wing orange tag so hopefully that will help with I.D.

View attachment 413282

Interesting! This sighting is probably of a Grizedale red kite from the Cumbrian group.

It could even be the one in our report earlier in the year; have a look here:
http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page6.htm Scroll down to the entry for 4th June 2012 A visitor from Cumbria.

Your description of the wing tags would correlate with the Orange/White tags which identify the Cumbrian kites as opposed to our kites which have a Pink tag on the left wing and the year colour tag on the right wing.
We have a facility on our website for reporting sightings, too. We'd really appreciate any information you might have in the future. We have two Monitoring teams and it is helpful to have reports such as this one.
Here is a capture by Mick Render of WT3

Attachments

• WT3flying_MR.jpg
    WT3flying_MR.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
A few more of the Bee Eater, from today. Good to see Glen and a few others :t:.

The first one, of the bee eater with ruffled plumage is absolutely stunning, Ray.
I think you need to save it and enter it for a photographic/birdwatching competition.
I have never seen and enjoyed such a lovely set of images of these colourful birds as sent in by all your lucky people who managed to get to see this rare visitor!

Managed to get down to see the Bee-Eater today. Nice to meet up with some of you guys.

Attachments

• Bee-Eater-2.jpg
    Bee-Eater-2.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 110
  • Bee-Eater-1.jpg
    Bee-Eater-1.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Bee-Eater-3.jpg
    Bee-Eater-3.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Bee-Eater-4.jpg
    Bee-Eater-4.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Called at Jarrow, Waxwing hot spot, but nowt there yet, plenty of berries though.

At least 5 Divers, all RT I think, not sure about image 3?, in the small Haven bay and 1 RT diver on the Sandhaven side of the pier, a couple giving close views at times, also cormorant, guillemot, sanderling, redshank, turnstone, oyster catcher and 2 rock pipits.

On the way home called to see if the Bee Eater was still about, that was about 3ish, and It had not been seen for about an hour, maybe It's had It's fill and decided to leave, If so, lets hope It makes It to somewhere warm.

SE owl seen flying accross the coast road, between Sunderland and Grangetown, also kestrel and possible merlin.

Attachments

• Guillemot_MG_2860.jpg
    Guillemot_MG_2860.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Red Throated Diver_MG_2474.jpg
    Red Throated Diver_MG_2474.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Red Throated Diver_MG_2572.jpg
    Red Throated Diver_MG_2572.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 117
  • Rock Pipit_MG_2752.jpg
    Rock Pipit_MG_2752.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Turnstone_MG_2647.jpg
    Turnstone_MG_2647.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 73

Interesting! This sighting is probably of a Grizedale red kite from the Cumbrian group.
It could even be the one in our report earlier in the year; have a look here:
http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page6.htm Scroll down to the entry for 4th June 2012 A visitor from Cumbria. Apologies - for some reason this will not come up.
Your description of the wing tags would correlate with the Orange/White tags which identify the Cumbrian kites as opposed to our kites which have a Pink tag on the left wing and the year colour tag on the right wing.
We have a facility on our website for reporting sightings, too. We'd really appreciate any information you might have in the future. We have two Monitoring teams and it is helpful to have reports such as this one.
Here is a capture by Mick Render of WT3

Thanks June. Happy to report sightings, I just wish I could get a decent close up shot!

Waxwings in Teesside area

I found 4 different flocks of Waxwings today at Hartington Roundabout, Middlesbrough, Ingleby Barwick, Yarm turn off on A66 and Bowesfield Nature Reserve.
All the flocks were a bit flighty but were feeding well on various berry trees - particularly Rowan where a flock of 60 or so had stripped 3 trees in a 2 days at Ingleby Barwick.

Attachments

• Waxwing07.jpg
    Waxwing07.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Waxwings01.jpg
    Waxwings01.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Waxwing11.jpg
    Waxwing11.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 105
We just returned from holiday today. Luckily the Bee-eater was still around.

Video clip - http://youtu.be/xP8h06Av7Nk

Photos and video taken with a Canon SX50 HS

Attachments

• IMG_3384b.jpg
    IMG_3384b.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3411a.jpg
    IMG_3411a.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3499a.jpg
    IMG_3499a.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3612a.jpg
    IMG_3612a.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3420a.jpg
    IMG_3420a.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 100
I found 4 different flocks of Waxwings today at Hartington Roundabout, Middlesbrough, Ingleby Barwick, Yarm turn off on A66 and Bowesfield Nature Reserve.
All the flocks were a bit flighty but were feeding well on various berry trees - particularly Rowan where a flock of 60 or so had stripped 3 trees in a 2 days at Ingleby Barwick.

People have been so fortunate in seeing these colourful birds. There is a wealth of stunning images to enjoy.
You're right, Colin, in highlighting their voracity - we once had a flock of sixty waxwings which, in twenty minutes, completed stripped a 100yard hedge of berries.
Maybe they have an inbuilt industrial expertise that we lack? In fact, the animal world never ceases to amaze me.... ants, bees, squirrels, beavers - what is their secret gene? o:D

We just returned from holiday today. Luckily the Bee-eater was still around.

Video clip - http://youtu.be/xP8h06Av7Nk

Photos and video taken with a Canon SX50 HS

Superb images, as always, Ian. I do hope this little visitor finds its way to its proper location. I read that "These bee-eaters make an arduous migration in the late summer or early autumn each year, travelling from Spain, the south of France, and Northern Italy to cross the Mediterranean at the Strait of Gibraltar, and then making their way in flocks over the Sahara to their winter grounds in West Africa." Perhaps they need to add The British Isles!!
Two interesting points - first the two sexes are alike, and second, the bee eater is a cousin of the kingfisher.

I have ticked "Like" on your UTube video, Ian and added a comment on FB.

Waxwings

Hi June

Yeah they seem to never get sick of eating the berries, at times it seems to be a 1 in 1 out method judging by the path under the trees. But this focus on eating means they are sometimes quite approachable.

Superb images, as always, Ian. I do hope this little visitor finds its way to its proper location. I read that "These bee-eaters make an arduous migration in the late summer or early autumn each year, travelling from Spain, the south of France, and Northern Italy to cross the Mediterranean at the Strait of Gibraltar, and then making their way in flocks over the Sahara to their winter grounds in West Africa." Perhaps they need to add The British Isles!!
Two interesting points - first the two sexes are alike, and second, the bee eater is a cousin of the kingfisher.

I have ticked "Like" on your UTube video, Ian and added a comment on FB.

Roost Watch at Nine ARches Viaduct

Friends of Red Kites will be running two Roost Watches from the Nine Arches Viaduct.
Park at Winlaton Mill car park and a 20 minute walk takes you to the Viaduct.
Details in the attached poster.

Everybody is very welcome - our volunteers will be there to answer any questions.

If the weather is unsettled, please check the website - Events page
http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page12.htm

Attachments

• Roost Watch fin Nov 12.JPG
    Roost Watch fin Nov 12.JPG
    294.9 KB · Views: 95
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back