• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sony RX 100 M2 for Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Neil

I took the new RX 100 M2 on safari to Botswana over the last two weeks. The main reason I wanted it was that I was enjoying the RX 100 but wanted a rotatable screen. As I only took a small tripod to Botswana it was useful when shooting low.
The quality of the upgraded sensor seems to be an improvement as well. At least 5% but maybe as much as 8% improvement.
The other advantage of the Sony is being able to shoot in Raw with very fast recovery time.
Here are a few shots taken with the RX 100 M2.
Neil

Attachments

• elephant rx102 stx95_DSC4699_edited-2.jpg
    elephant rx102 stx95_DSC4699_edited-2.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 711
  • african openbill stork rx102 stx95_DSC4678_edited-1.jpg
    african openbill stork rx102 stx95_DSC4678_edited-1.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 820
  • burchell's starlings rx102 stx95_DSC4666_edited-2.jpg
    burchell's starlings rx102 stx95_DSC4666_edited-2.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 749
  • red lechwe rx102 stx95_DSC4415_edited-1.jpg
    red lechwe rx102 stx95_DSC4415_edited-1.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 524
  • hide khwai river camp rx102_DSC4704_edited-2.jpg
    hide khwai river camp rx102_DSC4704_edited-2.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 414
Mind if I ask what your setting are other that shooting in AP?

I usually use Matrix Metering and dial in -0.7 EV in Aperture Priority Mode. In Botswana I used Auto iso as subjects were slow moving or stationary so I didn't need to set it manually.
90% of the time I set Raw +jpeg as I find the camera handles it fast enough.
Neil.

Has anyone used NFC to take photos?
My RX100 II photos are very under-exposed when digiscoping using my Android phone as a shutter release via NFC. I've not investigated the problem in too much depth, but trying to overexpose the photos doesn't seem to make too much difference.

Has anyone used NFC to take photos?
My RX100 II photos are very under-exposed when digiscoping using my Android phone as a shutter release via NFC. I've not investigated the problem in too much depth, but trying to overexpose the photos doesn't seem to make too much difference.

If the NFC App is just acting as a Shutter Release I can't see how it could affect the exposure.
Check your iso setting is Auto and your Exposure Compensation is 0.
If this doesn't work Reset all settings to the Default.
Neil.

Sony RX 100 M2 together with Zeiss 20-75x zoom

Hi,

Anyone who have tested Sony RX 100 M2 together with Zeiss Diascope 85 T* FL 20-75x zoom and Zeiss quick camera adaptor II?

I have the diascope and the adaptor and are now looking for a camera.

Does the RX100 M2 work with the zoom eyepiece (and the adaptor) without vignetting?

/Daniel (new to digiscoping... and this forum)

Hi,

Anyone who have tested Sony RX 100 M2 together with Zeiss Diascope 85 T* FL 20-75x zoom and Zeiss quick camera adaptor II?

I have the diascope and the adaptor and are now looking for a camera.

Does the RX100 M2 work with the zoom eyepiece (and the adaptor) without vignetting?

/Daniel (new to digiscoping... and this forum)

Daniel,
It doesn't look like anyone has any experience with this camera on your scope. On the Swarovski 25-50 zoom vignetting disappears around half zoom.
You could compared the basic specs of the eyepieces on the B and H website.
Neil.

Hi Neil In another thread (see qoute below) you mention that the V1 would pip the RX100 slightly due to better battery life if you had to pick one to take with you. How does the mk II compare with battery life and do the addition of remote release and tiltable screen swing things over the V1 now or has the V2 upped it's game as well?

Thank you

T

If I only had to take one camera out to the mudflats it would be a difficult call.
In the old days it was a "no brainer". It was the Nikon 4500 and then the 8400 and I could use one camera all day. The pace was so much slower then. And there was no HD video so that wasn't a distraction. Now I shoot more video than stills so the cameras has to have good video and easy to switch back and forward.
The simplest camera I have with the good results is the Nikon P310. The fastest is the V1 and the best quality is the RX100.
The V1 overheats when shooting over 10 minutes of video in the heat here so that a problem I don't get with the P310 and the RX 100. I have to switch it off for at least 15 minutes. They don't tell you that in the PR.
I guess I would have to take the camera with the best battery life that did good stills and video and that would be the V1. Two batteries would last all day. The P310 and RX100 batteries last about two hours so you would need 3 or 4 for a day out ( I take from 30 - 60 gigs of photo/video a day ).
If I wanted the best quality video I would take the RX100.
The speed of the V1 always impresses me.
Get the V1 with the 11-27.5 zoom or the 18.5/1.8. You won't be sorry. The price is very good at the moment so pound for pound it's better value.
Neil.

Hi Neil In another thread (see qoute below) you mention that the V1 would pip the RX100 slightly due to better battery life if you had to pick one to take with you. How does the mk II compare with battery life and do the addition of remote release and tiltable screen swing things over the V1 now or has the V2 upped it's game as well?

Thank you

T

I used to alternate the V1 and the RX100 through the day with the P330 as backup. Now it's 80% with the RX100 M2 with the P330 as backup. This is mainl because I'm mostly digiscoping at distance ( over 30 meters) so the Zeiss designed lens comes into its own. Nikon 1 kit lenses are only average but will give good results under 20 meters.
I've just bought the ELV and remote for the RX 100 M2 and with two batteries I'm good to go.
Neil

Hi, Neil

May I ask you a question? I noted someone use STX 95 with RX100II and others with ATX95. Is there any difference btn STX 95 and ATX 95 for digiscoping and what is your choice?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Neil

May I ask you a question? I noted someone use STX 95 with RX100II and others with ATX95. Is there any difference btn STX 95 and ATX 95 for digiscoping and what is your choice?

Thanks in advance.

The S is for a Straight Scope and the A is for an Angled Scope. I straight scope is my preferred choice as it's more like using a telephoto lens so I find it easier to line up the bird. An angled scope doesn't need to be at eye level to look into it so birders prefer it as the tripod doesn't need to be as high. I do 90% of my digiscoping sitting down so an angled scope doesn't suit me.
Neil.

Anyone used this camera with the Sony 'PlayMemories' app on iPhone? Is it an efficient/practical pairing? Does it do away with the need for remote shutter release and the EVF?

Anyone used this camera with the Sony 'PlayMemories' app on iPhone? Is it an efficient/practical pairing? Does it do away with the need for remote shutter release and the EVF?

This is barely relevant as it's different camera and different OS but the android playmemories app pairing with my Sony HX50 takes too long for me to consider that method for digiscoping.

It's like bluetooth pairing in that most of the time the pairing is ok, but sometimes it doesn't work and I quit the app and start again.

IIRC there's a wired remote for RX100ii that seems better for digiscoping.

Am following this thread keenly. I'd given up on digiscoping with micro four thirds and bought the HX50 as a compact walk around record camera. Not really enjoying that though so might have to try this RX100ii.

James

I have played around with it at my desk. It does work although Bluetooth can be a bit erratic. I'm going to try it on my iPad Mini in the field this week.
Neil.

This is barely relevant as it's different camera and different OS but the android playmemories app pairing with my Sony HX50 takes too long for me to consider that method for digiscoping.

It's like bluetooth pairing in that most of the time the pairing is ok, but sometimes it doesn't work and I quit the app and start again.

IIRC there's a wired remote for RX100ii that seems better for digiscoping.

Am following this thread keenly. I'd given up on digiscoping with micro four thirds and bought the HX50 as a compact walk around record camera. Not really enjoying that though so might have to try this RX100ii.

James

James,
I have the HX200v which I use as a walk around camera sometimes but I find it's AF is a bit slow when there are birds moving through the canopy. I prefer to use a DSLR with a 300/4 + 1.4x for that application.
The wired Remote for the RX100 ii does work well and you can even zoom the camera lens with it. Works best if strapped to handle of video head.
I like the "peace and quiet" of sitting there digiscoping. I get annoyed by the sound of DSLRs going off and keeping the birds away.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back