• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

packable tripods for big spotting scopes (1 Viewer)

lee peet

Any suggestion?

I always here that gitzo's are the best but how about sirui.

And what's everyone's thoughts between carbon fiber and aluminum?

Carbon fiber exery time - if you can afford it!

I don't know much about their tripods but I do have a Sirui P424 mono pod and it is very good. All the rest of my supports are Gitzo, which are better, but not hugely so! I have had a quick play with one or two Sirui tripods and they looked pretty good to me.

When you say "Packable" what do you mean? To be carried on a backpack? To be packed for air travel?

Just my opinion but I find that scopes are more demanding of tripods than very large lenses (I am mainly a photographer) so I would suggest that you get the most rigid tripod that you can afford and still fits your mobility needs.

Thanks John,

By packable I mean to put in my backpack.

And that's what I'm hoping for is a little bit of insight into which models might be the most rigid and stable and still under 3 lbs ish?

Thanks John,

And that's what I'm hoping for is a little bit of insight into which models might be the most rigid and stable and still under 3 lbs ish?

Not a tripod expert, but was happy with the Velbon Ultra Maxi for my little Nikon ED50. It is light and folds small, plus it is affordable, but it is not great for tall people and it would struggle imho to handle a big scope.

Could you refine your search a bit, maybe add maximum and folded size, budget and whether the 3 pound weight includes the tripod head. Otherwise you may get individual suggestions but no overall insight.

good points etudiant,

I haven't looked into velbon but will.

Weight wise, I'd like to be under 3 lbs head included.

Height, to be honest I'd be content with 24" tall but 36" is probably more realistic.

folded size, between 12" and 24". closer to the 12" mark the better.

This may all be in a ream world but that's what I'm wondering if there is such a tripod out there. That can steady an 88 or 85mm spotting scope and be fairly light, fairly compact and very stable?

And for heads, I prefer a pan head.

Thanks John,

Ah got it! I use a Gitzo 3530LS or a Gitzo 2531 - I can't think of any backpack that they will fit in!

A friend of mine has one of these: http://www.feisoleurope.com/feisol-tournament-tripod-ct3442-rapid-p-31.html which he likes for scope use, I haven't tried it with a scope but it was fine with my 300mm F2.8 lens (about 5.5 kilos including camera and head). If it's not tall enough they do a reasonably priced accessory center column.

Sirui probably makes the best quality tripod that folds small enough for a backpack. I use Induro tripods but they don't make one (as far as I know ) that folds over the head like Sirui does. I have the Sirui K series heads and they are very nice and much cheaper than RRS or Gitzo. Probably your best bet for a good tripod that will bet under twenty inches for your back pack.
Steve

hey mate,

I think Sirui make some awesome tripods. I'm a big fan of their N-3203x tripod. They also have a dedicated travel range.

That being said, both my tripods are Induro CLT 403's which I really enjoy using. Both are carbon fibre with a centre column and have excellent build quality. My tripod heads are all Sirui (VA-5's and VH-10's).

I went Induro for the Tripods because of the price saving in Australia over the Sirui tripods. I managed to pick up the Sirui heads for a very good price on Ebay.

The thing to remember about tripods is that the simpler is better in terms of stability. A 3 section tripod is going to be more stable than a 4 section tripod as the 4 section tripod has more joints and therefore more points to flex at, but the 4 section tripod will likely pack smaller.

a tripod with a flat base is going to be more stable than a tripod with the base plate mounted on a centre column. You'll get less stability again once you start extending the centre column.

I regularly backpack my Induro CLT 403 with either my Swaro ATS 80 or Zeiss Diascope 85mm. I carry everything in an Eberlestock Halftrack backpack find the weight to be inconsequential when I'm doing bushwalks and treks.

The Induro is well beyond your weight requirements (weighs 2.2kgs/4.5lbs) however the Sirui VA-5 is a fluid pan/tilt head that weighs around 600g. I find my that both my 80mm and 85mm scopes balance well on this head. Its capacity is 6lbs with adjustable drag on the tilt function.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/jeelanamin/Optics/Sirui VA-5 Head/_DSC0156_zpsysu37a6p.jpg

_DSC0157_zpsymctou0g.jpg

_DSC0154_zpstkzcrj60.jpg

For the tripod my suggestion would be a Sirui T-1204X which is around 2.1lbs

whatever you decide, good luck with your purchase and if you get the opportunity take your scope / bag into the store and try packing the tripod and mounting the scope.

cheers
Jeelan

I've owned a bunch of tripods. Gitzo really is better, if you can afford it.

If cost is a factor, Sirui and Induro are both a clear step up from the cheaper off-brands like Dolica or Neewer. I've owned a couple of big Induros for use in and around the house, and like them a lot. Very sturdy and easy to use. But Sirui tends to be a little slimmer and more polished than Induro, at a given weight rating, and I would go Sirui for a travel pod. I just sold a M3204X that was more than I needed for my 60mm scope, and have a R2204X on order. With a 60mm I might be able to get away with a 1204, but for a larger spotter I'd stick with the 2200 series.

Note that in the T, M and N series Siruis the legs fold 180 degrees up around a ball head, allowing the 'pod to pack several inches shorter. But the legs won't close around a larger fluid head, so I saved some money by going with the more basic R series which lacks that feature. For travel I figure I'll just remove the head completely. Hope I made the right choice there, we'll see.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back