• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex tripods? (5 Viewers)

Hi all,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the Vortex tripods, like the Summit Carbon 2 or the High Country 2? I am looking at spotting scopes and will likely get one with a 60ish objective lens.

I've been using the Vortex Pro GT for a few years. I believe the High County replaced it. Using a Tact Toric 27-55x80 on it. It's worked fine, but definitely some shake if it's windy. I've never used another tripod but would like to find something in the $400 or less that performs better in the wind.

I've been using the Vortex Pro GT for a few years. I believe the High County replaced it. Using a Tact Toric 27-55x80 on it. It's worked fine, but definitely some shake if it's windy. I've never used another tripod but would like to find something in the $400 or less that performs better in the wind.

I have yet to research tripod and head combos that would upgrade my current set. Perhaps some of you readers would be willing to recommend a top-of-the-line set-up for a Vortex Razor angled 85mm spotting scope. My manfrotto tripod is heavy, the legs telescope with difficulty, the entire unit is uncomfortable and awkward to carry, and the head (with 8" arm) is just OK. Is there a system (or systems) out there that's considered to be alpha, like SF, Noctivid, and Pure are to binos?

Go to the BH Photo website which has excellent filters so you can select the load capacity, number of leg sections, working height, and carbon fiber etc. and then list by price or average reviews by customers. I would not get too hung up on weight as most tripods weigh less than 5 pounds and many less than 3 pounds.

The best part is that BH Photo makes it very easy to return a piece of gear if it turns out to have problems or is not as described or for any other reason. I have returned 4 tripods I bought from them when it turned out their rated load capacity was greatly exaggerated. If at full leg extension I can press down on the top and see the leg flexing then it is not going to be good for my use.

Only for information, did you notice that the entire range of Vortex tripods had switched from "Velbon" heads to Arca-compatible heads with single-arm locking? From my point of view, the handles are a bit short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back