• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from nervous newcomer in Derbyshire (1 Viewer)

Benjismum

Hello I am a very recently re-born bird fan, and have never posted a message before. Apart from being in the school bird-watching club and YOC as a child, I've done very little birdwatching in recent years due to being busy having children! Hoping now to get back into it, but need to sort some decent binoculars out first, I plan to go to the birdfair at Rutland Water this weekend to try some out. Does anyone have any tips?

Hi Benjismum,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Admin and Moderators.

Check out some of the forums here for recommends. Try stuff out at the fair, but watch the prices there.

Thanks for the warm welcome, I am hoping to learn lots from other people on the boards. Robin can I assume from your comments that the birdfair perhaps isn't the best place to buy binoculars?

Hi Benjismum and a warm welcome to Birdforum.

Regarding trying out new binoculars. Well the budget will dictate the type of bins you may be looking for and I would have thought that if you are going to the Birdfair then the best bet is to try out all the bins that you can within the price range. If you can settle on the bins you like my suggestion would be to wait till you get home and search the net for the best prices on the bins you like. There are plenty of deals going around that I'm sure that you can get what you want at right price.

Hi,Benjismum,welcome to BF.If you are going to the Birdfair, why not pop around to the BF stand and say hello.

Thanks Reader, I will just do some trying out at the birdfair - good job I came on here!
Could I just ask another question? I know that the first number is the magnification, is the second number the lens size? I have heard that the lens size needs to be 6 times the magnification, is this right? I am a little confused. Also what is the difference to the user between roof prism and porro prism? Sorry about all the questions - I really am a beginner.

Benjismum

8X42 is a good start.

I have standard set of 8 (magnification) X 42 (the amount of light they let in) which allow me to get good hand held views with the 8 X magnification at any time of day as I get plenty of light with the X 42.

A magnification of 10X gives shaky views in the field, though this isn't obvious when tryinh them out in a nice wind free shop.

If you want a smaller (pop in your pocket set) then any 8X??? with as high as possible ??? number representing (the amount of light they let in).

Have fun...

Just about the only thing I "know" about binoculars, is that the exit lens diameter divided by the square of the magnification indicates the amount of light in the image you view compared to real-life.

So, 8 x 42 give 42/64ths or roughly 66% of light, 7 x 50 gives you 50/49ths.

I gues you can't have what isn't there, so a pair of 7 x 50s will give you the same amount of light in you view as real-life.

That said, my partner uses 8 x 42s and I use 10 x 42s and I can't really tell the difference between each other and what I see is plenty clear enough.

Perhaps for the really high end binocs the difference is noticeable, but 7 - 10 x 42 - 50 is probably the range you are looking for, balancing magnification with clarity and with weight.

Thanks for your help everyone, now I at least have an idea of what I need to look at.

Christine, I will certainly call at the BF stand at the Birdfair, thanks for the suggestion. Do you know what events/facilities there will be for kids at the Birdfair? as my two (aged 8 & 9) will be coming with me.

Benjismum

Hello Benjismum
A couple of Birdfair thoughts that might be helpful. Don't know if you are there on the sunday, but at 1130-1230 there is a session for beginners in the events marquee - check out www.birdfair.org.uk for more info. I will be involved in that so feel free to say hello afterwards. And at 1.15, it's the prize giving for Young Birder of the Year, which might interest your children (and you).

Also, RSPB Wildlife Explorers (the new name for the YOC) runs children activities every day, including 'safaris'. They are in one of the outdoor marquees.

Hope that helps

Have a good time

David Chandler

Hi, like myself, a new member from Derbyshire, if its not too far for you to travel, we have a great Bird Club at Ogston. The older, more experienced members are only too willing to past on their knowledge. As a taster to the club there is a monthly walk on the 1st Sat. in the month at 9.30am. non members welcome. See ya, Mick A

Mick

How strange I have just posted my application to join Ogston Bird Club. You don't by any chance works at Notts CC do you?

Regards

Benjismum

Sorry, I work in Alfreton. Normally the wife & I like to get to the club at least once a week, maybe more, hope you enjoy it. I understand that in Sept & Oct there's going to be some ground work to increase the scraps, veiwing area etc. Hope this will not spoil your 1st couple of months, but should be better for the future.
Mick A

Hi Benjismum,

Like yourself, I am re-born bird fan, only recently getting back into my birding a couple of years ago, after a long absence. Don't know why I left it so long though........ I guess work took over for a while!
Now birding comes first and I hope like me, you enjoy every minute of getting back into it.

Regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back